Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any Juan here familiar with or have YouTube TV?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 2,979

Any Juan here familiar with or have YouTube TV?

Aug 29, 2018, 8:42 PM

Just got it b/c of my hate for satellite and cable.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO it's the best of all streaming services

Aug 29, 2018, 8:47 PM

I used to have a sling subscription and dropped it after I tried YoutubeTV. I was able to watch the NBA finals without lag/buffering at all, for comparison sling gave me terrible quality for any of our big games last year.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

AGREED***

Aug 29, 2018, 8:48 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IMO it's the best of all streaming services

Aug 29, 2018, 9:57 PM [ in reply to IMO it's the best of all streaming services ]

Same here.

Had Sling and liked it, but there were the occasional moments when shows would pause and buffer.

Tried YouTube TV and really like it. It's been great thus far.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES... I like it... just wish I could figure out

Aug 29, 2018, 8:48 PM

How to not need my iPad to crank up the app and switch it to TV for live TV....

Station options and unlimited DVR is great!

Re: YES... I like it... just wish I could figure out

Aug 29, 2018, 8:51 PM

^^ Would a Smart TV not connect to Youtube TV? I know mine connects to Youtube, but I don't use Youtube TV. Just curious.

Aug 29, 2018, 9:01 PM

I have used it for about two years. I love it. Watch it on my desktop, iPad, and my iPhone. The recording function is superior. Record as much as you want - no limit.

Aug 29, 2018, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Re: YES... I like it... just wish I could figure out ]

If you have a smart tv you can just download the Youtube TV app to your tv and then you don't have to cast it anymore

the fact that he can cast from an ipad to the tv

Aug 30, 2018, 7:32 AM

proves he has a smart tv.

dumb tvs don't know how to wireless.

he just had to figure out how and if he can get the app.

my samsung tv won't let me dl the espn app..total kick in the junk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: the fact that he can cast from an ipad to the tv

Aug 30, 2018, 8:31 AM

proves he has a smart tv.

dumb tvs don't know how to wireless.

he just had to figure out how and if he can get the app.

my samsung tv won't let me dl the espn app..total kick in the junk.

Add a ROKU device as little as 30 bucks at WalMart, to an available HDMI port on your Samsung, dont use the Samsung built in smart options. Samsung Smart apps are behind on everything! If you want (not required) you can go into settings and make the Roku App the first input that comes up on power up and save another keystroke.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a Couple roku's and a firestick

Aug 30, 2018, 9:04 AM

but I find hooking my phone directly to my receiver via hdmI cable is better.

or.. I hook up a laptop to the receiver and play all the pregame videos..and the 4th qrt video during commercials.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: the fact that he can cast from an ipad to the tv

Aug 30, 2018, 9:07 AM [ in reply to the fact that he can cast from an ipad to the tv ]

Unless he has a chromecast. I signed up for Youtube TV back when they were still trying to build up their customer base. They gave me a free chromecast when I signed up which works great on my one non-smart tv

tru dat..***

Aug 30, 2018, 9:56 AM

I trialed them all last year and went with YouTube TV

Aug 29, 2018, 9:12 PM

The others may have improved, but I like it better than Sling, PS Vue, and DirectTV Now. They all (at least did) give 7 day free trials so you can see what is best for you.

Re: I trialed them all last year and went with YouTube TV

Aug 29, 2018, 9:14 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

Aug 30, 2018, 6:59 AM

I work for a cable company and if I didn't have free svcs then YouTube TV is what I would have.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2018, 3:59 PM

That is called an educated endorsement!...

Did the free trial. Like most things about it better than

Aug 29, 2018, 9:20 PM

the other services. The only down side was it was missing some channels that are desired here at my house. Have been using Playstation Vue for a while and like it almost as much. Missing history channel on it though. Did not like DirecTV Now, Sling or Hulu for various reasons. This will be my first football season without DTV with the dish. Will have to see my opinion after the first few weeks!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did the free trial. Like most things about it better than

Aug 29, 2018, 10:20 PM

Pairing YoutubeTV with Philo is a popular option.

Tried to sign up for it tonight

Aug 29, 2018, 11:29 PM

in Marion, SC and it was not available. Not sure why because it is an internet format. We had to go with Sling.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know why it wouldn't be available to you. You can

Aug 30, 2018, 12:15 AM

put in any location you want for local channels, so maybe if you were selecting Florence for your locals, maybe Florence isn't available. Just try another location. I know when I did the free trial last spring, I could get Columbia for my locals, then I played around with it and was able to get Raleigh NC for my local channels.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tried to sign up for it tonight

Aug 30, 2018, 6:36 AM [ in reply to Tried to sign up for it tonight ]

in Marion, SC and it was not available. Not sure why because it is an internet format. We had to go with Sling.

Unless you are trying to use Amazon fire you should be able to sign up easily. Its Google based so it doesn't work on the fire stick. It will work on Roku and playstation and Xbox. I love my you tube TV no buffering and get all the games. You should try again

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tried to sign up for it tonight

Aug 30, 2018, 8:39 AM

Unless you are trying to use Amazon fire you should be able to sign up easily. Its Google based so it doesn't work on the fire stick. It will work on Roku and playstation and Xbox. I love my you tube TV no buffering and get all the games. You should try again

BTW, I do highly recommend using a Roku device instead of FireTV or a FireTV Stick if you are using a device to get your streaming content. Bezos and the boys at Amazon are trying to play "king-Maker" with streaming services. They stopping some services from putting apps in the Fire app store, and also slowing update cadence on some that are already there. In the case of YouTubeTV Bezos wont let Google offer their live streaming on Amazon Fire devices. It reminds me a little of the very old Sony Beta-max versus VHS format where Sony refused to license their technology to other hardware manufactures. That was the death of the Beta-max format. A note, Beta was a much superior picture quality to VHS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tried DirectTV Now, Playstation Vue, and YouTube TV this

Aug 30, 2018, 6:34 AM

summer. I'm going with Playstation Vue, for the following reasons. The picture quality is excellent, as it is with DTVN. YTTV's picture quality is not as good. The DVR works great, and you can FF through ads on any show that you've recorded. The DVR on DTVN is totally unreliable. And on YTTV your recordings get replaced with On Demand versions of what you recorded, and you can't FF through ads. And the biggest thing that I like about Vue is that you can easily rewind live TV - that's something that is essential for me, especially when you want to see a play again when you're watching a game. And Vue just yesterday added ESPN College Extra, which will show our game this Saturday, if you don't want to watch it on the ESPN app.

http://www.espn.com/espncollegeextra/

Thanks for the college extra info. Had not seen that yet!***

Aug 30, 2018, 7:30 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, be sure to get the right kind of device for streaming

Aug 30, 2018, 3:56 PM

Stay away from all of the "sticks" (Roku, FireTV). You will save yourself a lot of trouble if you can plug your device directly into your router, so you need a box that will do that. Consensus is that the current Apple TV and 2nd gen. FireTV (not the current ones) boxes are the two best devices. I've got the 2nd gen FireTV and it has worked great.

Re: Also, be sure to get the right kind of device for streaming

Aug 30, 2018, 4:12 PM

My Samsung Smart TV is up to date software wise but it lacks a few apps that Android devices get.
I use an YAGALA T95Z Plus Android 7.1 TV Box. 2.4, 5ghz and can also be hard wired via Cat-5,6.
Works great, I run mostly Kodi and Terrarium TV through it.
I had a Mecool Pro 7S box but lightening took out my WiFi access point and that Android box.
The newest replacement for the Mecool is actually a pile. Not sure why they went from a great box to a really poor box, but whatever.

Yes and it's awesome. I switched from Sling a few months

Aug 30, 2018, 8:56 AM

ago and don't regret it one bit. I think it's easily the best streaming service for a CFB fan. It has pretty much all of the relevant CFB channels and it's all in one package that also includes unlimited cloud DVR. To get the same content on Sling you would need something like Sling Blue + Sling Orange + Sling Orange Sports Extra + DVR service (additional fee for this on Sling plus it's not as good as YoutubeTV's DVR). Not to mention you don't get locals on Sling so you will also need an antenna.

It's missing a few things my wife likes (Hallmark and crap) but we just use my parents Direct TV login for those. If you arne't fortunate enough to have friends or family that will give you their credentials i think most of that stuff can be purchased fairly cheaply on the side.

Re: Yes and it's awesome. I switched from Sling a few months

Aug 30, 2018, 9:04 AM

Does anyone know if locals include the PBS channels?

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. I'm not sure PBS is on any of the streaming services

Aug 30, 2018, 9:09 AM

right now. You can pick it up pretty easily with an antenna though.

Re: Any Juan here familiar with or have YouTube TV?

Aug 30, 2018, 9:35 AM

Yes - and love it! First had DTV NOW, but experienced a lot of lost wireless connections and buffering - and required repeated sign-ins. Thought it might be a ROKU3 issue, so upgraded the wireless network with an extender with no change. Installed YTTV and my problems were over, plus local stations no longer need the OTA antenna.

Aug 30, 2018, 9:46 AM

Live in Aiken, and it says YouTubeTV is not available when trying to sign up. Is there a workaround?

Aug 30, 2018, 4:14 PM

Who is your ISP? It must have something to do with their streaming or lack of streaming policy.

Replies: 32
| visibility 2,979
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic