Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We need Women's Softball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 70
| visibility 1

We need Women's Softball

Jun 7, 2016, 10:26 PM

Not an empty seat in the house for Auburn/Oklahoma game. Instead of stupid rowing which brings in NO money.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is an awesome game

Jun 7, 2016, 10:30 PM

Auburn girl just made an amazing play robbing a homer to make it 7-7.

Clemson softball would be good and would quickly be the most popular women sport at Clemson

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

completley agree. Make it happen Drad***

Jun 7, 2016, 11:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The big reason we should have softball is, every high school

Jun 8, 2016, 11:02 PM

in SC & the southeast play it. You have softball players around the state from families that a lifelong Tigers, and these girls have to go somewhere else to play college softball. I know it is probably more expensive than rowing, but how many high schools in the state even have rowing teams. And a diving team, without swimming seems odd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Title 9 is the biggest reason to have any female sports

Jun 9, 2016, 8:30 AM

Money is the biggest reason in choosing which female sport to have.

I'm sure what high school sport girls play in SC is near the bottom of the list of reasons.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

the LSU pitcher is a softball phenom out of DW Daniel HS

Jun 8, 2016, 7:44 AM [ in reply to this is an awesome game ]

in Clemson! DWD putting out all kinds of superb athletes.

Re: this is an awesome game

Jun 8, 2016, 7:55 AM [ in reply to this is an awesome game ]

WOULDNT THAT BE LIKE BEING THE TALLEST MIDGET. LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2016, 9:15 AM

SMFH

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Jun 8, 2016, 11:48 AM

It is an awesome game, so with that ur either ignorant about softball or have the guey. I don't know,js

Jun 8, 2016, 11:57 AM

uh why is this a response to me?....

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

No it would be Clemson having a popular women's sport

Jun 8, 2016, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: this is an awesome game ]

for once. Thanks to our basketball team being a complete abomination for the last decade, Clemson does not have a big women sport that people rally around. The women's soccer team is good now but they have been up and down for years. Volleyball has always been popular to a niche crowd but they are now really bad and things do not look good moving forward.

Softball would draw bigger crowds than women's basketball for sure

Not doubting you.. but isn't this the women's final for the champ?

Jun 7, 2016, 10:40 PM

Does the fact that I'm asking you indicate its popularity?
Rowing is pretty cool to offer. I guess it comes down to whether the sports opportunities are meant for the student participants or the spectators.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

it's very popular at some schools

Jun 7, 2016, 10:45 PM

they get good crowds. LSU softball has 50k followers on twitter (Clemson baseball has 40k). It's definitely a huge college sport for women in the south and the west. Only getting bigger as well with so much television coverage

I was just thinking

Jun 7, 2016, 10:51 PM

it might be cool to watch a softball game if albarns SS is playing - for the love of the game, of course

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

sad when FSU went out. Their pitchers were good to watch***

Jun 7, 2016, 10:55 PM

Re: sad when FSU went out. Their pitchers were good to watch***

Jun 7, 2016, 10:57 PM

You are correct

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: I was just thinking

Jun 7, 2016, 10:58 PM [ in reply to I was just thinking ]

We need a women's fishing team. Would fit right in with the rowing team.

Re: I was just thinking

Jun 7, 2016, 10:59 PM

Especially if they combined both.

Couldn't we combine the 2 and just call it Trolling?***

Jun 8, 2016, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: I was just thinking ]

My daughter takes hitting lessons from her Dad, can

Jun 7, 2016, 11:48 PM [ in reply to I was just thinking ]

probably get you an autograph...

walk off grand slam***

Jun 7, 2016, 11:17 PM

And swimming and gymnastics and rugby and cricit

Jun 8, 2016, 7:33 AM

And And And

Where is this money coming from?

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

No way. Keep rowing. I'm all for softball...

Jun 8, 2016, 7:54 AM

It is getting big (relatively speaking) and I believe we could do a great job. It gets a lot of TV time.

But keep rowing. As I recently said on here, we should be dominant in that sport. I don't know what the problem is, but we have a great climate for it, a great facility, a Great Lake right next to campus, and we always host the ACC championship. I don't know what's holding us back but we are poised to dominate if we put it all together (I feel similarly about women's golf).

The sport that baffles me is the women's diving team. We have no men's Swimming and Diving and no women's Swimming. We clearly are not investing in this sport. We cannot ever win because we don't field a full team. So why are we in it at all? The Diving Roster has 14 women on it. That's a good bit of the way toward a softball roster...and no one watches Clemson diving (I'm assuming?). That's the sport the you find your scholarship money from.

null

It is getting big (relatively speaking) and I believe we could do a great job. It gets a lot of TV time.

But keep rowing. As I recently said on here, we should be dominant in that sport. I don't know what the problem is, but we have a great climate for it, a great facility, a Great Lake right next to campus, and we always host the ACC championship. I don't know what's holding us back but we are poised to dominate if we put it all together (I feel similarly about women's golf).

The sport that baffles me is the women's diving team. We have no men's Swimming and Diving and no women's Swimming. We clearly are not investing in this sport. We cannot ever win because we don't field a full team. So why are we in it at all? The Diving Roster has 14 women on it. That's a good bit of the way toward a softball roster...and no one watches Clemson diving (I'm assuming?). That's the sport the you find your scholarship money from.

null

I hear you. I hear you. I hear you.***

Jun 8, 2016, 8:02 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow. That settles it. No more iPhone posts.***

Jun 8, 2016, 8:13 AM

null

null

well, start by writing the check

Jun 8, 2016, 8:11 AM

they estimate about $20 million for a stadium that complies with Title IX.

You think maybe Lot 2 would be a good place to put it? Take away a few thousand more football parking spaces. Everybody's good with that, right?

Interesting. What does Title IX say about facilities?

Jun 8, 2016, 8:14 AM

I'm not familiar enough with the rules beyond scholarship matching between men's and women's programs.

null

need a facility comparable to Kingsmore Stadium

Jun 8, 2016, 8:19 AM

a) Locker Rooms, Practice and Competitive Facilities looks at the quality, maintenance and availability of the facilities provided for practice and competitive events; the exclusivity of use of the facilities; the preparation of facilities for games and practices; and the availability, exclusivity and quality of locker and team rooms.

A school is obligated to ensure that the overall benefits and treatments of the female and male programs are comparable. Under Title IX, budgets for men’s and women’s teams do not have to be equal, but the bottom line is that the benefits provided must be equal. Facilities are one benefit that must be equally provided to the men’s and women’s programs.

http://www.womenssportsfoundation.org/en/home/advocate/title-ix-and-issues/what-is-title-ix/standard-language-of-title-ix

Re: need a facility comparable to Kingsmore Stadium

Jun 8, 2016, 8:39 AM

MORE ABSOLUTE STUPIDITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Miss State's Nusz park was built in 1997 for $6 million, and

Jun 8, 2016, 9:03 AM [ in reply to need a facility comparable to Kingsmore Stadium ]

apparently is sufficient to match Miss State baseball's 15,000 seat stadium. I realize attendance isn't the criteria, but I doubt their baseball facilities are anything but top-notch. Has construction gone up over 300% since the late 1990s?

As for location, I would think that the small practice field behind the outfield could serve as the starting point. I don't think you're allowed to park there so building a stadium around there wouldn't take up too many additional spots.

null

clemson had a lake[since '62ish?] and rowing...

Jun 8, 2016, 8:21 AM

had a benefactor - the two together made perfect cents.

here's the world of softball, which needs a field[where to put one?], a benefactor[s] and in the world of in & out, more goes out than comes in...

i'd rather not sully the bottom line with softball, the fed says clemson has to have a % of womens in sport and rowing is high-brow - that's just my game.

Re: We need Women's Softball

Jun 8, 2016, 8:29 AM

> Not an empty seat in the house for Auburn/Oklahoma
> game. Instead of stupid rowing which brings in NO
> money.

Women's Softball is cost prohibitive the cost of a Stadium, cannot use men's baseball field, plus a practice field, plus all the equipment & Scholarships (12), forget it will not happen.

I understand all of the extra costs....BUT....

Jun 8, 2016, 8:48 AM

It stinks not having women's softball.

Sure, I get the expense. Building a stadium, facilities, etc.

But when you look around at all of our ACC/SEC brethren that have softball and we don't...it stinks. It's bad when your daughter asks why Clemson doesn't have it and all of these other schools do.

Again, not saying it's feasible....but I do feel Clemson is missing out here. Just my opinion...

If our brethren jumped off a bridge would you?

Jun 8, 2016, 9:40 AM

Clemson is financially stable even after pumping millions into football, basketball. And baseball.

Many schools are not.

And let's be honest. . The only people who care are parents with softball players. What percentage of the fan base do you think that is?

I totally get that......

Jun 8, 2016, 10:21 AM

But at the end of the day it's a sport that is growing in popularity that we don't have and our neighbors do.

Re: I totally get that......

Jun 8, 2016, 10:26 AM

quick question about your handle...Does AF stand for Air Force or As #####?

If we got the right coach

Jun 8, 2016, 11:42 AM [ in reply to I understand all of the extra costs....BUT.... ]

we would be top 25 in softball in no time. The ACC is not really that good, only FSU is a top 10 team. We could quickly establish ourselves as the #2 team in the conference and get ready to challenge FSU.

Re: If we got the right coach

Jun 8, 2016, 11:59 AM

Agree 100%, Coots are starting to consistently make the tourney and the majority of their team would rather be at Clemson. We have more to offer and play in a much easier conference.

yes. The Gamecocks are pretty decent

Jun 8, 2016, 12:01 PM

yet they can never go that far because the SEC is so brutal with top 10 teams Auburn, Alabama, Florida, LSU. And top 25 teams Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Missouri. Literally every team except Arkansas is a very good team.

Clemson wouldn't have to deal with that

Jun 8, 2016, 8:36 AM

sure agree!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously, look at this rowing facility...

Jun 8, 2016, 9:41 AM

http://www.clemsontigers.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=28500&PALBID=447794

Way better than UVAs, and right on campus. UVA's is a good four or five miles away. Dukes is almost 20 miles away. And they are the only ranked teams in the southeast. We have a competitive advantage in this sport and it is not translating to the results for some reason.

null

are you suggesting clemson might has the wong guy

Jun 8, 2016, 9:52 AM

at the helm of the women's varsity flotilla team?

Aaaah ha. That was good.

Jun 8, 2016, 10:00 AM

The head coach is definitely Wong.

Seriously, I'm not close enough to know the issues. I know we had a lot of turnover in the coaching department over the past decade (I think?) and Coach Wong is starting his third season now. So I guess we'll see. I will say that it's no longer a "new" program, and with the natural advantages we have (proximity of lake, great facilities, excellent academic support, hosting of conference championship, great university, great climate, lack of competition in the region) there is no reason for us not to dominate this sport.

null

it's a fairly new program, no? what i know is rowing...

Jun 8, 2016, 10:19 AM

is the oldest intercollegiate sport, has an amazing tradition and presence with our friends in the north.

i don't know how old duke's or uva's women's crew clubs are, but the ncaa didn't establish a national championship on the women's side until the mid to late 90s?

if most of the young women that participate in crew, meaning the more established club teams at the high school level, are from the northern climes - i'd say duke & uva have a historical advantage as it's not a sport for the masses.

the pig is of upenn's boathouse row on the mighty schuylkill, below ridge/kelly in philadelphia.

i've spent more than a day or two imbibing in the polish alps enjoying the overthrow of the races.

and if you ain't rubbin', you ain't racin - right?

All good points. But the girls being recruited for the team

Jun 8, 2016, 10:56 AM

today were not alive when we didn't have rowing (started in 1999). So certainly I think it would be a challenge to compete with the Ivy league for numerous reasons, but anyone else, sure. Like I said, we have a unique blend of attributes that would be difficult to compete against. Just have to leverage that. Easy for me to say, obviously, but that's how I see it.

null

neither duke nor uva are in the ivy league, which are the

Jun 8, 2016, 11:24 AM

two programs of which you seemed directly concerned.

it's not just about a nice facility[although it does help] and the coaches, staff, families and others involved in the decision/recruiting process were alive - that's how tradition, experience within recruiting works, building and maintaining relationships over time, through changes - even in staffing and other.

as clemson football relies on its history when building anew, those programs rely on theirs while maintaining, building or rebuilding etc.

clemson crew has limited tradition, but hope would hold that it continues to build and reach those circles that will help elevate[no coachmac] the program.

tradition is overrated to modern young people

Jun 8, 2016, 11:46 AM

look at softball. For decades it was dominated by the Pac 12. Arizona, ASU, UCLA, Washington would rack up title after tittle. Thanks in large part to the immense amount of softball talent in California. But the last few years the SEC schools built better stadiums and made a commitment to the sport financially and were able to start getting athletes out of California. Alabama,Auburn, Florida, LSU, Tennessee have all built national powerhouses in the last few years.

Clemson has made a big commitment to rowing and that commitment should be paid off with national titles. Clemson does not really have a sport where we rack up the titles like some schools do (Arkansas with track, Penn State with volleyball, UCLA with water polo, Virginia with tennis, Penn State with wrestling historically Oklahoma State with wrestling). Rowing could be that sport for Clemson

i have a modern young person that disagrees completely...

Jun 8, 2016, 12:03 PM

and no where was tradition overrated, it's a factor to those in the decision making process including parents that have to sign paperwork for junior or junior's sister et al and to suggest otherwise is patently ####### stupid, the degree varies as it always has.

crew is a sport greatly populated by the silver spoons, steeped in tradition and honestly, crew was the focus of conversation with Swarley, not softball. uva & duke are rich, no, very rich schools and have spoken that language, since nigh inception.

that's junior dsp on the left[almost as brilliant as dad] between his junior & senior years, and his grandfather to the right - rip pop.

what does that pic have to do with anything?

Jun 8, 2016, 12:09 PM

I'm saying in the sense of athletics tradition as a selling point is not the only thing that matters anymore. Facilities and coaching are just as important.

Plus I see Ohio State has won several national titles recently. That is hardly a silver spoon school

i mentioned coaching and facilities along with tradition,

Jun 8, 2016, 12:13 PM

even included a picture of boathouse row in philly. Swarley himself brought up the nice clemson facility as compared to uva & duke and wong was mentioned directly.

now you're being non-additive and an idiot, the picture is of junior, you know, the one i mentioned in my post?

duh

ohio state is a rich school, steeped in tradition - how old is their crew club? they have 5 times the money clemson does and then some, and again - the focus was duke and uva.

you have a problem keeping up. want to talk about arizona state ice hockey some more?

Clemson rowing is akin to Arizona State ice hockey?

Jun 8, 2016, 12:21 PM

you mentioned Duke and Virginia but I don't see Duke's name anywhere on the national title list in rowing history.

how many more years do you think it will take for Clemson to be able to compete at a championship level in rowing? Will 5-10 more years create some more tradition?

i didn't "bring up duke or uva", swarley did and we

Jun 8, 2016, 12:26 PM

were having a nice conversation until you went full you...

arizona state was a shot across your bow, but you're not too quick on the uptake. you started with bringing softball tradition into a crew conversation and then threw in nut necklace u seemingly to galvanize your lack of keeping up with the conversation.

i don't know just_the_TIP, maybe your right hand stood you up last night and you're emotionally charged over it, because keeping up with the theme just ain't your game.

My "modern young people" comment

Jun 8, 2016, 12:29 PM

seems to have really pissed you off. Had I left that comment out you probably would have just replied to my points without the personal attacks but you somehow took it as a personal affront when I was saying it is possible to create winning programs when there is not much tradition there. I mean hell we have had a team since 1999

you don't move the needle and me pointing out

Jun 8, 2016, 12:33 PM

your inability to follow is far from what pissed off looks to me, but i do understand where those that have trouble keeping it between the lines as you do can be easily frustrated.

every college sport has a Johnny come lately

Jun 8, 2016, 12:57 PM

That challenges the established traditional powers. Clemson towing with out facilities, could be that Johnny come lately.

absolutely and i hope all of clemson's sports find

Jun 8, 2016, 1:28 PM

the loftiest of heights.

i'm not sure of any timeline on the clemson women's flotilla team - not saying i don't care, but i mostly enjoy the events - beautiful mornings on the lake or the mighty schuylkill.

good times.

DSP, tradition is only one factor. You can come up with as

Jun 8, 2016, 12:56 PM [ in reply to i have a modern young person that disagrees completely... ]

many reasons as you want why we can't succeed, and I can come up with as many reasons that we can. My point is simply that, 17 years into this sport, we're not novices. Only one program besides UVA has won the ACC in the past 15 years, and that's us. For every blue blood that speaks of carrying on a tradition, our coaches should be talking about ESTABLISHING a tradition.

Again, I say:

1) Great school
2) Great facility
3) Great lake
4) Great location
5) Great events hosted here
6) Great academic support

The narrative is compelling. There's a reason we're the only non-UVA team to win the ACC in the past decade.

It's like Dabo...he doesn't shy away from the things that differentiate Clemson. He embraces them and makes them a positive part of the narrative. I'm saying that the situation for Women's Rowing is such that I think a strong case could be made that we SHOULD be dominant, or at least a top 15 team every year, top five exclusive of the Ivy League.

And with that, I think we've exhausted the subject, so the last word is yours if you want it.

null

yes, duke & uva, the two schools you mentioned are all

Jun 8, 2016, 1:25 PM

of those things you listed and then some, when going point by point.

i'm to believe 4 to 5 miles or almost 20 is that important when discussing duke/uva versus clemson? i'm sorry, it doesn't move my needle, but maybe to others it does?

it's duke and uva, when i think of olympic or club class sports such as crew, both those come to mind long before clemson. AND then, there's the money associated and the prestige - sorry, but clemson falls behind in comparison for the now and leading up to the now, but that's changing - for the betterment of all.

clemson is moving in the right direction and i've lauded barker since the day he set upon his goal, although others were staunchly opposed as they used his lofty aspiration[s] as reason for football languishing - their reason that top 20 goals were antithetical to football's and they appear to be wrong?

for me, every clemson fan, alumnus & non-alumnus alike, can and should marvel at what has been accomplished. i'd like to think it's a road map or journey, but it's taken time and has pay a toll, including some parents whose children have not made their way in the door.

everything's important, i've never said different, but clemson is a relative newcomer to that game.

There are some good look women that play softball too.

Jun 8, 2016, 11:06 AM

I am all for it. Great game as well. You are on to something. Will it happen? Is the University considering it?

duke is adding it***

Jun 8, 2016, 11:33 AM

Jun 8, 2016, 1:19 PM

Softball programs lose around 800,000 dollars a year. I'm guessing rowing loses significantly less.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/07/19/which-sports-turn-a-profit/

Jun 8, 2016, 1:22 PM

DETAILS, DETAILS.

Interesting numbers there.

Jun 8, 2016, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: We need Women's Softball ]

didnt realize volleyball was such a money drain. Baseball is a big money eater as well.

Tennis loses some of the least!

I'm not sure what they do at Michigan State that their

Jun 9, 2016, 8:48 AM

baseball team generates ZERO dollars in revenue. I guess when you're a school of 50,000 students and average less than 1,000 at a game, you're not going to charge anything.

I'm sure Clemson baseball generates some revenue. Not maybe enough to break even, but I'm sure that chart would look very different for us. Plus, surely we get something for making the tournament? Those games aren't televised for free.

Same for the Rowing team. We're not paying some rental fee for use of a boathouse...we own it. Heck, we should be renting it out to other people when we're not using it, and that revenue should go toward the Rowing team.

null

lol they just interviewed Baker Mayfield

Jun 8, 2016, 8:46 PM

Holly Rowe said "you understand this type of pressure when you went up against Clemson"

No dig against Crew but like Women's Softball***

Jun 8, 2016, 9:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lacrosse would make a lot more sense.

Jun 8, 2016, 9:29 PM

We wouldn't have to build a stadium. Historic Riggs Field is perfect.

The ACC is the strongest lacrosse conference. It is a natural fit for Clemson and the students we attract.

It is also a very fast growing sport.

And finally, costs are much lower than some other sports.

Adding lacrosse next is honestly a no-brainer.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Lacrosse is a northeast sport

Jun 9, 2016, 12:27 PM

softball is a souther sport. It would be two different cultures. Clemson casual fans would probably prefer softball

Jun 8, 2016, 9:39 PM

Concerning rowing, it was said that when Coach Frank Howard was approached about funding this sport, his reply was I am not funding a sport where you sit on your a$$ and row backwards!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 70
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic