Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Question?

Feb 6, 2015, 6:35 PM

Some people make a big deal about the fact some of the fans graduated or attended a school. I did not. Members of my family went to and still go to either S.C. or Clemson. I am a tiger fan, I have been a IPTAY season ticket holder for over 12 years now. The school is a representative of the state I was born and raised in and am a 4th generation of, whats the problem? Do you really believe even close to HALF of the attendance at each game attended either school in the state?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I totally agree with you.

Feb 6, 2015, 6:40 PM

I look at it this way - I was raised as a Clemson fan, and I bled orange way before I ever attended a class at CU. If I had never made it into Clemson for some reason, would I be any less of a fan? He!! no!!!

Any Tiger fan is ok by me. Go Tigers!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I totally agree with you.

Feb 6, 2015, 6:47 PM

Exactly, as long as he or she acts accordingly and does nothing to shame this great university. Whats the Issue?

Totally agree

Feb 6, 2015, 6:49 PM

Been a Tiger fan since ND game in 1977, my first game attended, but got a partial athletic and music scholly to SCSU I had to take...,I am both a proud Bulldog alum and Tiger fan to my bone marrow.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This a fact - fortunate to spend time at CU but not undergra

would not have made any difference to me - tiger for life - a tip o the hat to the ole man - class of '49 !!! Still remember sitting one table over from Frank Howard at the buffet at the old Holiday Inn by the lake and those "little" footballs they used to toss in the stadium - playing in the grounds there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never seen or heard of anyone making a big deal out of

whether or not you have to be an alumni of Clemson in order to be a fan except for this message board. Have you experienced this first hand, or just trying to change the topic from the garnet wardrobe debate?

Neither my dad nor brother graduated from Clemson, but both are huge Tiger fans.

I graduated from Clemson, but unless you knew me at Clemson or I told you that I was an alumni you wouldn't know. I don't know anyone who walks around announcing that they graduated from Clemson and are therefore true fans. Just seems silly...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've never seen or heard of anyone making a big deal out of

Feb 6, 2015, 6:52 PM

Ah, Some fan bases make a big deal about it.. INCLUDING.. the one down south from us. Not only them, but others. Some of our own, make this.. for instance, when.. Cole Stoudt, or the decision to keep cole in was a big deal. People booing.. a faction displaying their displeasure..

I personally think the real fans are the ones

Feb 6, 2015, 6:56 PM

who donate to IPTAY and/or purchase tickets, but that's just my opinion...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or wear orange to games and yell on defense.***

Feb 6, 2015, 7:14 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^This guy gets it!

Feb 6, 2015, 7:20 PM

Agree - this message board has this topic on about

Feb 7, 2015, 2:24 PM [ in reply to I've never seen or heard of anyone making a big deal out of ]

twice a year. A Clemson fan is one who loves Clemson teams and supports them. Whether you went to college at Clemson has absolutely NO bearing on the issue. Period.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question?

Feb 6, 2015, 6:51 PM

As an older Clemson grad my parents went to the game because I was at school there and there was no cable TV to watch. They were not so fortunate as kids to be able to go to college. After I left, they continued to go because it was more fun to go than sit and watch TV.

Some of us are not from SC and don't live there now but

Feb 6, 2015, 7:00 PM

are diehard Clemson fans. I guess Clemson just happens to be in SC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I lived in Raleigh for a while and went to see us play at

Feb 6, 2015, 7:03 PM

Carter Finley a few times. The Wolfpack fanbase is as bad as USCjr's.

As an alum, I am no more of a sports fan than non-alums

Feb 6, 2015, 7:12 PM

who donate and support the sports teams. Being an alum doesn't make me a special or a better fan.

But alums have a deeper relationship with the institution as a whole. I was a fan, and then I was an alum. There is a difference. People who lived close to Clemson their whole lives also have a deeper relationship with the town than I do. And they should have more of a say with local ordinances than I did as a student living off campus.

When it comes to non-athletic school policies, I do think alums should carry more weight. But as a state school, all South Carolinians deserve a say... just slightly less of one. ;)

2787, rest assured that most of us, who are alumni, are

Feb 6, 2015, 7:33 PM

proud to have you in the family.

Most of my own immediate family are non-alumni, and I'd put their support and allegiance toward Clemson upon against most anyone's. Simply put, our programs would be in dire need without the support, physically or financially, from all of our family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2015, 7:43 PM

I certainly wasn't referring to us, and us alone. The Majority of the people I have known for years and sat around for years are deep in clemson, as we all know as a fan base, we could not be more welcoming. I just mean, as a whole, College athletics that issue is raised from time to time.

I think that there are some things about Clemson that fans

Feb 6, 2015, 11:39 PM

Will never understand. I think that, it most cases, alumni of Clemson better understand what the "Clemson Family" is.

That's where the misunderstanding comes in. I believe there are some things people who didn't attend Clemson will not understand about it, but to say you can't be a fan unless you attended a school is silly. You can be a fan of whatever school you want, just like I can pull for whatever NFL team I want. I am not from Buffalo, and I've never been there, but I can still pull for the Bills and be a fan.

Feb 6, 2015, 11:56 PM

No problem here. We are a family. I was a member of the Clemson family long before my Dad told me I could choose between Clemson, Clemson or Clemson. I told him I didn't care what he said, I was going to Clemson. Fans should not underestimate the value of their Clemson experience and support when compared to Alumni.

Feb 7, 2015, 12:02 AM

I am an alum and proud of that - but I know plenty of CLEMSON fans that never went to college anywhere. It doesn't make them less or more of a fan. I just feel blessed to have received a degree from such a fine university. To be honest, when I was 18 I had no idea how good CLEMSON actually was. Now that I'm old and seen a lot over the years, being a graduate of CLEMSON is more like icing on the cake. It doesn't detract from anyone enjoying being a fan of CLEMSON. We're all cheering for the same people - and it's fun. Nobody should attempt to criticize that.

Feb 7, 2015, 9:34 AM

Late to this thread but had to remark that there are thousands of Tiger fans who never attended Clemson -- but their children did -- like me. My daughter, a '12 graduate, still buys me Tiger gear. And I love it. Go Tigers!!!

Re: Some of the most ardent and hard core football fans

Feb 7, 2015, 10:10 AM

probably never went to the schools. I think, as far as Clemson Football goes, your indoctrination at an early age might play more of a part into how hard core you are. When I was in school ('81 - '86), it took the students from out of the area a little longer to understand how seriously we take our football and the intense dislike we feel for the other little school in the middle of the state.

It seems to me that if you did not go to Clemson and only get behind the major sports teams (which is fine and more than welcomed), you may not care as much about the Engineering, Chemistry or Ag departments. You also wouldn't have had the pleasure of experiencing the culture, comradery, and quality of living in Clemson and the surrounding areas.

Regardless, if you're a Clemson fan, you're good in my book.

Of course you can be a real fan...

Feb 7, 2015, 2:51 PM

You can be an all-in, orange bleeding Tiger fan if you didn't go to school there. Does the fact that you ARE a graduate carry any extra added credibility? I think yes. If you walked those halls, burned midnight oil studying in the library, and stood on the Hill as a freshman waiting your turn for those killer seats in section D, then no one who never darkened a doorway in Brackett or Martin Hall has any place to question your Clemson loyalty because you aren't a 100% sunshine pumper.

In short: There'd be no sports without them***

Feb 7, 2015, 2:54 PM

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic