Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don't know who's in charge of the public education (link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Don't know who's in charge of the public education (link)

Jul 29, 2015, 11:14 AM

system in this state, but I'm REAL tired of reading how SC remains perennially at the bottom of any national ranking for education. I honestly wish Clemson would take the initiative to begin a program to make the necessary changes to improve primary and secondary ed in this state....and if that means toughening those majors at Clemson, then so be it. In the midst of changing building names and flags, South Carolina needs to address the REAL root of much of the problems in our state and, IMO, it starts with raising the educational parameters...of course, the smarter our populace gets, the less likely it will be that politicians of the ilk that have run this state forever will be elected

Sorry for the rant...I should be used to the rankings and the excuses by now

http://www.wistv.com/slideshow?widgetid=165386&clienttype=generic

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The government can't do it.

Jul 29, 2015, 11:23 AM

Our economy got us here by big money from cotton picking and cotton mills keeping a good healthy group of folks who can't read and therefor work for nothing. Times are changing with the tech demands of automobile manufactures and such coming for cheap labor so expect a non radical change over the next 50 years.

When the industry demands semi educated labor the law makers will comply by forcing schools to provide.

As far as Clemson's standards being raised, that does nothing for our state education except let our kids know they can't expect a Clemson education so hold on for the influx of out of state students here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you put the government in charge of the Sahara Desert,

Jul 29, 2015, 12:39 PM

in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: If you put the government in charge of the Sahara Desert,

Jul 29, 2015, 1:08 PM

that is certainly not the attitude that landed us on the moon.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmmm.. so we should put the government in charge of the coots?***

Jul 29, 2015, 1:21 PM [ in reply to If you put the government in charge of the Sahara Desert, ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: sure seems the gov't is already in charge of the coots***

Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 PM

Wait....you'd better censor that & put a rainbow on it.... ??
Too mean, and truthfully brutally honest ??

Message was edited by: jbthe1tiger99®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A good chunk of this State's population is currently trying

Jul 29, 2015, 11:33 AM

To erase history before 2009. Their kids don't know any better . When asked on a standard test, "who was the 1st president of the usa and when?" The response is always "Steve spurrier, 2009."

That crap ain't gonna make us look good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

So you think that education is poor in this state because

Jul 29, 2015, 11:34 AM

the teachers are just lax?

Education is "poor" in this state (I put that in quotation marks because really such an assessment is lacking in any sort of nuance; there are a LOT of schools and districts in this state that are exceptional) due to:

-High class sizes. We spend money in Ipads and technology and brand new buildings, and then won't pay for enough teachers.
-Lack of support from parents. The best research we have indicates that roughly 30% of a student's academic success is due to the quality of teacher; the rest comes from things like nutrition, family composition, socioeconomic status, and more than anything, parental involvement. You can't put 35 kids in a classroom whose parents don't give a crap and then think that the teacher is going to somehow pull them all out of the mire.
-Honestly, posts/conversations/sentiments like yours. The position of teacher isn't respected very well in this state, and that vituperative attitude towards educators is passed down to children who, in turn, don't feel the need to respect their position in the classroom.
-A one size fits all mentality in which all students are given the same diploma, forced to take the same number of credits, and are given the same line that everybody needs to/has to/should go to college--the great lie of this generation.

There are some bad teachers in this state-- just like there are bad bankers, doctors, or engineers; but it's not at all what's causing those low rankings.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

iPads are actually a cost-saving measure

Jul 29, 2015, 11:48 AM

they're replacing overpriced textbooks in most cases at a substantial savings.

I agree with most of the rest of your post though. Parent involvement is huge and class size is important as well.

iPads are dangerous, from a pedagogical perspective...

Jul 29, 2015, 5:12 PM

mainly due to misuse by teachers in terms of best practices, but also because of their very nature. (Marshall McLuhan "medium is the message" etc) they are devices best suited for distracted, superficial cognition and not deep, linear thinking.

How about we go away from textbook based instruction to begin with?

thank you kind sir for a reflective and honest post to the

Jul 29, 2015, 11:59 AM [ in reply to So you think that education is poor in this state because ]

pathetically sad and PC BS that has passed for "education strategy" in this country for at least the last two generations.

feel free to start your own thread at any time....

bravo!

AND there are areas of the state with little or no

Jul 29, 2015, 12:08 PM [ in reply to So you think that education is poor in this state because ]

industry which could help to improve their educational system. I'll give you one area that is rural and poor--Allendale County. (But it could also inlclude Jasper, Bamberg, Hampton, etc.)

Clemson has been trying to do something in these areas through the schools with the Emerging Scholars Program.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Emerging-Scholars/131705131181?fref=ts

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AND there are areas of the state with little or no

Jul 29, 2015, 1:39 PM

Education is always going to mirror how you handle poverty. It really isn't rocket science.

But some are too busy blaming the PC crowd to see it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

You are correct....Parental involvement is key***

Jul 29, 2015, 12:13 PM [ in reply to So you think that education is poor in this state because ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Well said !!!***

Jul 29, 2015, 12:30 PM [ in reply to So you think that education is poor in this state because ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I too love government rants on a sports page***

Jul 29, 2015, 11:40 AM

From what I understand Clemson has opened a public

Jul 29, 2015, 12:11 PM

charter school in Pickens(I think). From what my wife told me, it sounds like an experiment to see what improvements can be made in different facets of education utilizing technology. My two boys went to a summer camp on it's campus last summer. It starts from the ground up. Way to go Clemson!

Yeah it's a middle school

Jul 29, 2015, 12:18 PM

And Clemson is part of a partnership that is sponsoring it.

http://newsstand.clemson.edu/mediarelations/clemson-operated-charter-school-ranks-6th-among-s-c-middle-schools/

I get nervous when schools focus too heavily on STEM classes though. We might end up with a generation who can do math but can't write a complete sentence. Hopefully that school has a good balance.

cool, thanks. Yeah, I worry about that as well. Seems like

Jul 29, 2015, 12:23 PM

thay dont teach vocabulary as well. My kids are math wizzes but need to work on knowing and understanding WORDS

While there are certainly some poor teachers out there....

Jul 29, 2015, 12:29 PM

it is not the primary problem with public education in this state.

One of the biggest problems is that education in this state is not a priority and is grossly underfuned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Education is in trouble in the entire U.S.A.

Jul 29, 2015, 12:45 PM

The fact that SC is a bottom dweller is just adding insult to injury.

Until we allow the states to take back over their own education systems without the constant threat of losing Federal funding we will remain screwed.

Teaching to a standardized test in order to score a minimum passing grade is a joke. It seems that in this day and time of PC bullcrap and "not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings" we have become a society that can't or won't admit the basic fact that: students have varying skills, aptitudes, and intelligence levels.

Sorry, but not all kids are going to be scientists and doctors. Kids who don't catch on as fast in math or science or even reading, can be gifted in other areas, but we don't follow up on that anymore.

Bring back apprenticeships, and avenues to learning a skill early on (like 7th or 8th grade) and you will see the kids who are struggling with the current curriculum gain confidence in themselves and learn a profitable trade that will help them actually contribute to society; instead of dropping out in the 10th grade due to a low PACT score, or whatever stupid test(s) they are using now.

This one-size-fits-all mentality and our resistance to embrace one another's differences for fear of being labeled sexists or racists is what is killing our education system, and our country as a whole.

Just my $0.02 on the matter.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

^^^^ Education is in trouble in the entire U.S.A. ^^^^

Jul 29, 2015, 1:27 PM

Best post I've read so far today, other than the OP which was well said, and honestly quite a few others are right on point!

Now....can we football!?!?!
(I hate the current administration & the direction everything is going)
Let's get some more of the PAWSITIVE Clemson chickinasskickin talk going!

SPOT THE BALL ALREADY!!!!
Go Tigers!
#notenemy
#PCsooooghey
#Obama4ISILSTali

wasnt the promised lottery money supposed to fix this?***

Jul 29, 2015, 1:12 PM

I was working in public ed at the time and, if I recall

Jul 29, 2015, 1:28 PM

correctly, lottery money was for two things: 1) higher education and 2) public school buses.

Re: Don't know who's in charge of the public education (link)

Jul 29, 2015, 1:34 PM

Blame the magnets and charters for some of that. Your tax dollars fund these schools and folks are chomping at the bits to get into them. Designed to create school choice for folks who are attending failing schools. Most are on a lottery system and require a good bit of paperwork to get in. A handful of kids are lucky enough to get selected, and most of those selected are already in schools that are really good. So much for giving the students at failing schools a fair chance.

The buses that are used to go all over the county to collect these kids cost a good bit of money as well (taxpayer funded). They've set up areas at Walmarts and grocery stores as local bus stops for some. So, if you can't find transportation to those stops, you can't go.

The classrooms are smaller and the teachers in some cases are higher paid. Often the programs are better also. Students are definitely at an advantage in these schools - by the luck of the draw.

I could rant forever about this - but imo, this needs to stop. Money going to make these special schools better than your average "good" public school needs to be going to the schools that need vast improvements and students need to attend the schools they are zoned to attend.

That's Chas Cty though. Not sure about everywhere else but it gets me worked up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's probably not as bad as you think. Individual states are

Jul 29, 2015, 1:36 PM

allowed some autonomy in developing their standards. So, we aren't always comparing apples to apples. For instance, a few years ago, SC required something like 24 credit hours and passing a standardized test to graduate. I think it was Vermont that only required 16 hours to graduate and no test.

During the same time, the level of student achievement that earned a "needs improvement" rating in SC would get an "excellent" rating in Texas.

Apparently, reporters are too lazy/incompetent/focused on sensationalism to bring that out.

SAT scores are also heavily weighted

Jul 29, 2015, 3:32 PM

In SC and a lot of other states, 80% or more of students take the SAT, but in several states with high ratings, that number can be less than 20% or as low as 4%.

OP not eligible to replace Cowherd.***

Jul 29, 2015, 2:18 PM

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic