Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I thought we were getting 1-dimensional on offense...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

I thought we were getting 1-dimensional on offense...

Oct 8, 2017, 8:47 AM

...and I'll admit it: I've been thinking that unless Kelly Bryant improves as a passer, we're pretty much hosed as a national title contender. I didn't think we had what it took to beat Alabama.

We're unquestionably a better running team than we were last year - and Bryant has a lot to do with that and let me be the first to say that Bryant has led and played exceptionally well for the most part - but Bryant is, sorry, an average-at-best thrower right now. Nobody expects him to suddenly morph into Deshaun Watson - and there are stretches where he definitely does show promise - but he hesitates on pulling the trigger on too many wide-open receivers, he misses a few too many makable throws, and he tends to fail to recognize blitzes at times and gets buried at key junctures. Bryant, frankly, looked great the first two drives - and pretty wretched the rest of the way until he got hurt.

That wouldn't have beaten Alabama - last year. But I finally watched a full Alabama game - this one against unranked Texas A&M - and one thing is pretty manifest about Alabama: they aren't nearly as good this year.

The Tide's D looks stout, as always. They are what they've always been there - big, fast, physical, discplined, imposing. They crush the run and obliterate you at the LOS. But they've taken a major step back on offense.

One glaring red flag - WR Calvin Ridley had caught 25 balls coming into this week. No other WR, TE, or even RB on the roster had caught more than six balls. Alabama just isn't throwing the ball this year and it was obvious watching them they aren't very good at it. Say what you want about Lane Kiffin and Steven Sarkesian but that Southern Cal offense was complex and it had some of the most sophisticated passing concepts in college football. Those concepts are now gone; under new OC Brian Daboll it's obvious that Saban (who was never comfortable with his caustic Boy Wonder, Lane Kiffin, or Kiffin's highfalutin' passy offensiveness) has dialed back the clock to 2009 or so. Bama has gone Retro. They're back to running the football three of four downs. They throw maybe 12 times a game, mostly off play-action. The rest of the time, they just lean on their edge at the LOS and pound, pound, and pound their running backs some more. (Incidentally, Georgia under Kirby Smart is doing exactly the same thing. Kirby Smart is pretty much Saban Lite, or Diet Saban, in terms of approach. Which means UGA, like all teams coached by former Saban assistants, will get mercilessly crushed by The Master when they actually encounter them on the field. Ask Mark Dantonio or Jim McElwain how that goes.)

What happens when Alabama actually encounters somebody who can stack them up at the LOS while also covering Calvin Ridley? I dunno. They haven't played anyone who could do it yet except for maybe that first half against FSU. But that Retro Alabama Offense is stale, predictable, and unimaginative, and nobody's noticed because My God the SEC is terrible this year. The Tide have obviously just been able to flat run people over thus far, and if you can just run people over and dominate them at the LOS, football isn't really a contest. But I'm actually not sure Alabama even gets past Auburn. Auburn has a lot more tools in its box this year than Alabama does.

I also noticed that Alabama wasn't subbing a ton of guys on either side of the ball. Saban will rotate guys if he's confident in them; the fact that he wasn't indicates he really isn't. And for as much as general opinion has been bragging on Saban's DB's, as ever, Alabama's big boys on D looked a little questionable when A&M actually got the ball in space. That team is still designed for trench warfare.

So Kelly Bryant probably doesn't need to be Deshaun Watson for us to get past Alabama. He will have to improve, mind - that second quarter against Wake we were collectively nothing short of wretched and Bryant went from looking like a world-beater in the first quarter to looking like a freshman walk-on in the blink of an eye, which was a bit troubling - but if can go from just being an average passer to an above-average one over the course of the back half of the season, I think we can go all the way, again.

So the watchword is week by week, incremental improvement. I think we can do that; this seems to be Dabo's forte, actually, as a head coach. His teams get steadily better as the year progresses. Whereas Bama under Saban is a rigidly controlled machine that plays football utterly by the numbers; they tend to be exactly the same team in Week 1 they are in Week 12.

It might actually be a blessing to have Cooper and Johnson lead the team against Syracuse. They're pass-first QB's, under them Clemson's O will look a lot more like we did with Deshaun Watson under center. We need to get that back in our M.O. Bryant has led the team admirably...but it would probably serve Clemson well to have a change-up available off the bench, just as I think it would serve Bryant well to have a young thrower jogging his elbow and prodding him on to get better as a pure passer. Again: I think we go all the way, with an improved Kelly Bryant. Alabama is assuredly mortal this year, and if there are any other superpowers out there, they certainly haven't shown themselves yet.

Just some random Sunday-mornin' thoughts and observations, for whatever they're worth.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I thought we were getting 1-dimensional on offense...

Oct 8, 2017, 8:57 AM

Replying to your headline. The reason why the first two drives looked so good was because we threw on first down. On e we got up by 14 we ran on 1st and 2nd down and threw on 3rd. To your point KB is not quite ready to be put in that position. It’s still early but the play calling needs to help him along. I get that Dabo and company are playing a lot of players (developing) and not showing future opponents a whole lot. Tough to argue with Dabo and company. Sit back and enjoy it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes...not a complaint, but...

Oct 8, 2017, 9:10 AM

Once we got that lead, we did not try to test them deep (after burning them with Cain early).
Only later in the game with Cooper's pass attempt and Johnson throwing that TD pass did we even look beyond 10 yards.
There were times we got a little predictable.
But we had run 54 plays in the 1st half...so I guess we were just going to pound them into submission.

Bingo. We became predictable.

Oct 8, 2017, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: I thought we were getting 1-dimensional on offense... ]

nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Oct 8, 2017, 9:02 AM

Please make certain you forward a copy of this to Dabo and his staff!

Oct 8, 2017, 9:05 AM

Kelly has throw the ball very well... the problem is pass protection in obvious passing downs. Guys are coming through untouched and it happens every game.

Exactly. That's why...

Oct 8, 2017, 12:34 PM

We should be less predictable and try to avoid those obvious situations. Less predictability on 1st and 2nd should pay off enough to minimize 3rd being an obvious passing situation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

one thing about Bryant

Oct 8, 2017, 9:07 AM

is he is still timid and seems afraid of making a mistake. He won't force things and you can tell he even questions throwing to a seemingly wide open player.

Cooper really looked like he was somewhere else yesterday. All his throws looked flat and no zip.

Johnson looked good. The screen passes actually worked with him in. He also looked confident throwing. No hesitation and didn't think run first.

I'm confident in Choice (loooked really good yesterday) Feaster and ETN. They will all play good ball this season. I'd like to see Feaster get more touches bc we are just seeing glimpses of what he is capable before we get another back in there.

Just my observations.

Oct 8, 2017, 9:46 AM

Now this is just based on game against WFU...
I think Hunter Johnson goes to second string although they may not do it on paper yet, but by the end of the season he will be second string

For Syracuse we just need to win so play Johnson and Cooper. Let KB rest because I don't know if Johnson can take on the tough teams yet, but maybe at the end of the season. KB has done good, but also, DB plays the older guys first. Remember Cole Stoudt and DW4? DW4 should have started that season, but he didn't start until a few games in. I suspect Johnson may be better but because KB is a Jr and has done well, he starts. Or maybe he's not as good as he looked for that series.

But I think we have enough to beat the 'Cuse and then KB is better by Ga Tech game. By week comes at a good time.

However, I think HJ becomes second string soon.

Oct 8, 2017, 9:58 AM

I agree based on what I've seen.

I'm a big believer that when you get your chance, you take it. Cooper didn't show any poise when his moment arrived. Hunter Johnson did. It was night-and-day, yesterday.

Deshaun Watson always had the quality of being a "gamer"...the bigger the moment, the larger the moment, the calmer and more focused he got. It was his most important attribute, IMHO, the thing that put him miles ahead of the likes of Trubisky and Kizer.

We'll probably put this to the test since I see no reason to risk Kelly Bryant's long-term health by forcing him in against Syracuse, and I similarly suspect that whichever guy shows the most in this next game comes out as our #2 down the stretch. I agree with you based on what we've seen it's likely to be Hunter Johnson.

Cooper needs to take his next chance or I think future chances may be harder to come by. He hasn't shown us a whole lot yet.

Oct 8, 2017, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: I thought we were getting 1-dimensional on offense... ]

Agreed. I was initially excited to see what ZC could do in crunch time, but he had 2 really really ugly throws. HJ came in and was the gamer. If performance in the game matters HJ will start if KB is out.

It would be great to see a 2 back package as well from time to time given the depth of that position. Much like OU did a couple of years ago with 2 good backs. Not saying go to that exclusively, but have a package that you use 5 to 10 times in the game.

Also, the WR screen with our current team is a waste of a play this year. It is becoming a drive killer.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with all that except

Oct 8, 2017, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Re: I thought we were getting 1-dimensional on offense... ]

No Deshaun Watson should not have started as a true freshman, against UGA, in Athens. Dabo isn't perfect and makes lots of mistakes like everyone, but the Stoudt / Watson thing isn't one of them.

Re: I agree with all that except

Oct 9, 2017, 8:35 AM

Dumbest post

Re: I agree with all that except

Oct 9, 2017, 8:35 AM [ in reply to I agree with all that except ]

Dumbest post

We will have to see how this ankle thing progresses

Oct 8, 2017, 9:56 AM

A large part of our success is the threat of Kelly's feet. If he becomes more conventional then we will just have to wait and see how it works out. I think he's good enough to be a passer first. He's shown me that he can throw the ball well where I questioned before the season. I don't think we have a superior option on the team. I just hope we allow healing and not make him deal with a lingering ankle issue.

Oct 8, 2017, 10:02 AM

Bama also has an average thrower at the QB position , so all things being equal there ...we should look at the positions that do not cancel each other out .

Assuming we make it into and through the playoff with Bama and end up in Chapter 3 , I would give us a pretty good shot at repeating as national champs.
Defensively , we can drown teams in offensive frustration.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

As usual, great analysis. One thing that should work in our

Oct 8, 2017, 10:47 AM

favor as the season goes along is the number of players (on both sides of the ball) we are playing.

On defense, we have 18 players that are logging 18+ snaps per game through 5 games. By comparison, in 2015, we had 12 players that logged 18+ snaps per game. That's a significant depth bump this year. I think we all agree that defense was gassed by the end of the year...and this defense is better equipped to avoid that drastic a setback.

On offense, the numbers are just as bold. In 2015, we only had 2 players that carried the ball 4 or more times per game (Watson and Gallman). Through 5 games, this year we had 5 players carry the ball at least 4 times per game. WR production has been similar both years.

I think we are playing more players than any team we will face down the stretch. That will pay off in November when legs are getting tired and injuries mount (aka Clemson in 2015) That depth will be a key strength for us with tough games vs. GT, at NC State, FSU, and at Scar.

And that depth bodes well for us if we can get to the Playoff.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depth is GREAT everywhere but DE, where we don't seem to

Oct 8, 2017, 10:57 AM

have a difference maker behind Cle and Austin...That is a little concerning

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. Seeing #7 out on the field late in game

Oct 8, 2017, 11:11 AM

was a stark reminder of lack of bodies at that position.

Any word on his knee Scott?***

Oct 8, 2017, 12:50 PM

No. And I never trust what Clemson puts out on injuries

Oct 9, 2017, 6:32 AM

just saying...lol.

heard that***

Oct 9, 2017, 12:44 PM

Oct 8, 2017, 11:24 AM

Think about this for a minute......where would be without KB2 this season.....highly doubtful we would be 6 - 0 & ranked # 2 in the nation at this point.....Overall KB2 has done an excellent job and has what it takes to win it again for us this season......just wait and see......Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!

KB vs WF = 72.4% pass completion

Oct 8, 2017, 11:44 AM

Punter vs WF = 100% completion
2 passing TD’s, each by a different QB
Guess our 1 dimension is passing,
No, it must be running
No, it must be a lock down 2 deep defense

Help me, help me, I can’t figure it out. We just don’t have close enough games to keep the best players on the field for 60 min. To find out.

OH ... I hear you my man

Oct 8, 2017, 12:47 PM

Still how many passes were 5 yds and behind the line of scrimmage? How many bubble screens were thrown short on 3rd and long for easy completions with little shot of attaining 1st downs? I thought for a second Tommy Bowden's old bubble screen OC had rejoined the Tiger coaching staff. Where is pre-season All-American Deon Cain? He can score early and often with well-placed deep balls. Tiger fans are just noting what Dabo, TE, JS and opposing Defense coaches know well. Clemson's primary emphasis on Offense, more than scoring, has been not turning it over. And with KB's inexperience the approach has made sense out of the gate and it has worked. Clemson has changed from Wide Receiver U to QB Run U with KB at the helm. And it may continue to work out with this Tiger Defense. But Bama and a couple other teams will make Clemson play a complete game to win. Can the Tiger Offense and Special Teams flip the switch? That is a valid question. Dabo believes we can and let's hope so. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I would like to see more balls thrown to Cain, to

Oct 9, 2017, 6:33 AM

be fair...he has dropped some passes too. So, he needs to clean things up on his end.

He has always had concentration issues, now it seems he's

Oct 9, 2017, 2:45 PM

not expecting the ball much either

Oct 8, 2017, 11:49 AM

Bama hasn't taken a major step back on offense. That's crazy. If anything, Bama has reestablished the running identity that played a major role in Bama winning 3 of 4 national titles from 09-12. Harris looks better and the new 3rd string is a future first round pick.

Oct 8, 2017, 12:24 PM

Well written post Q. Agree 100% with you. I'll add:

1. KB has a tendency to through the ball high. Not sure why. He needs to get this fixed.
2. We need a #3 receiver to emerge. We're relying too much on McCloud and Renfrow. Deon, who has had some big plays, has seemed to have a lot of bad balls thrown his way. I was encouraged this week that Overton, Higgins and Rogers all seemed to make plays. We need someone who can go up for a jump ball. I am hoping Higgins develops into that guy.
3. I am convinced that Alabama essentially is running a wing T offense with Hurts. He looks at one receiver, and if he's not wide open, pulls the ball down and runs. But he's an excellent runner.

Until we are able to stretch the field more, in my opinion we lose a matchup with Bama.

judas get a hobby***

Oct 8, 2017, 12:27 PM

Well written and honest piece ...

Oct 8, 2017, 12:32 PM

KB understands he's not Deshaun Watson. The coaches know it. And while the early game spin saying KB was as good or better than DW was wishful thinking and potentially destructive, KB handled it well. Tiger coaches have been doing their best to protect KB with conservative game plans. And as a result, it often appears while Tigers move well between the 20's, the Offense is trying hard not to score.

I may differ slightly with you in that I believe Bama is beatable, but I rate them higher than Clemson at this point in the season. I rate the Defenses equally, Bama's Offense as very slightly better (with returning running QB), and I give a huge Special Teams advantage to Bama. Special Teams continue to be extremely average considering the amazing talent on the Clemson squad. We all watched Special Teams be the difference in the 2015 national championship loss, and Clemson's approach to Special Teams remains "do not make a mistake." Even Ray Ray's crafty punt returns against Wake this week were negated due to holding.

This Clemson team can compete with Bama all day long on both on talent and Defense. But don't overlook that Bama has been mentally getting ready for revenge on Clemson all year long starting from Saban placing Tiger celebration photos all over Bama's locker room. For Saban and Bama, a rematch would be about revenge, reparations for theft with malice, hate for beating last year's team, and for Bama it will be war. Not sure the talented and chilling Clemson players see it that way. Yet still we can win. Also agree with you on giving other QB's some reps over the next few games while KB fully heals. More options are always good. Go Tigers!

Oct 9, 2017, 8:24 AM

You're right on the money and respectful of Kelly. Don't expect T-net to receive it well.

Oct 9, 2017, 8:34 AM

They always blame the lack of protection by the OL when the QB gets too predictable and don't see the connection.

Oct 9, 2017, 2:47 PM

My take is that KB has a lot of trouble reading the zone and tends to hang onto balls about a second too long. Staff is trying to call plays to mitigate that weakness, but it's getting predictable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic