Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just saw Sharone Wirght Jr
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Just saw Sharone Wirght Jr

Nov 16, 2018, 11:22 AM

is on Wakes team. I wonder if we recruited him? Did his sister transferring to Auburn from Clemson play a role in him not coming to CU?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just saw Sharone Wirght Jr

Nov 16, 2018, 11:35 AM

That's crazy - I just looked up Sharone Wright last night, was reading his Wiki to see where he was at in life now.

Back in the mid 90's, my dad worked for a company in Greenville and Sharone Wright's girlfriend worked with my dad. We were dirt poor, but both he and I LOVED everything Clemson. He asked her (I forget her name now, but I remember it sounded like his name - Sherrell or something maybe) - anyway, he asked her for something signed and she returned with a couple of Clemson hats and things, all signed by him. I loved that stuff, wore it proudly and would ask every day about her/him.

Sadly, my dad took his own life around that time and I lost that connection, but to this day, he is still one of my favorite Tigers, for gifting me a couple of the first Clemson items I ever owned. I hope he is well, and that his son has an excellent career.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just saw Sharone Wirght Jr

Nov 16, 2018, 12:23 PM

Sorry to hear that about your father. My girlfriend's dad did the same thing a few years ago. Just awful

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wright Sr. is doing well, living in Florence

Nov 16, 2018, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Just saw Sharone Wirght Jr ]

mentoring and training players amongst a couple of other things he's involved in... and he still is a really great guy

really sorry to hear the loss of your dad, especially the circumstances...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep... and he's starting for the Deacs

Nov 16, 2018, 11:46 AM

he was recruited by us but Danny Manning made a strong pitch and closed it whereas we didn't, specifically the HC took something of a step back approach even though he should be closer... Jr's going to be good for Wake, but he should have been good for us; imagine him having a year to truly learn behind Reed and Mitchell before taking a leadership role... I could see his progression coming along like Amir Simms did last year, but c'est la vie...

the dysfunction of the WBB team is what lead his sister to transfer to Auburn, which has no bearing on Jr not choosing us, that is squarely on BB...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Newman committing early and at the time

Nov 16, 2018, 12:04 PM

Oliver being here played a role as well. Both were higher rated. Right now, he's not playing for a bad Wake team. He's not a PG in college like he was in HS. Hope he does well, his dad has a very good relationship with us and Brad. Plus, I'll take the three guards we have coming in next year over him as well

Jr. started game 1, started last night and today

Nov 16, 2018, 12:43 PM

in the tournament in Myrtle Beach... he has 10 points right now with 5 minutes left in the game against Cal State Fullerton... and Oliver being here didn't have anything at all to do with him choosing Wake, Oliver was playing minimally and no threat to anyone for playing time; and now he's transferred out... not a good exhibit in this recruitment...

also, no need for sour grapes because he didn't chose Clemson, he's a good kid, a good player and would work well with Newman because he can handle the ball and is handling the ball and running the offense for Wake right now...

Message was edited by: Knuck®

Where's the sour grapes?

Nov 16, 2018, 2:30 PM

I didn't see yesterday but don't remember him playing much Wake's first game or 2. Maybe he had a slight injury.

Oliver was expected to play this year. Then Newman beat him out, and Skara returning took away minutes at 3 and the others went to Tyson over him as practice progressed. No shame in that, he just was beat out.

Wright was a solid 3 star legacy. But every guard we have rated coming in next year is rated higher. That's not sour grapes, just fact. The coaches didn't blow anything. He went to where he thought he'd get early PT, which apparently he is. They also happen to be among the 2-3 worst teams in the league with Pitt and Tech

saying that he wasn't a take because of Oliver

Nov 16, 2018, 8:11 PM

being on the team and Newman committing before Jr. but actually Jr. committed to Wake before Newman committed to us, saying that all the guys coming in next year are better, when those guys were not even on the recruiting radar because they got offers after the '18 players had committed and signed... could give the appearance of sour grapes...

no coach is not going to recruit a player this year because he has identified a player for next year whether that player for next year has committed or not, especially in bball... Duke, UK, and the elite bball programs don't even do that, Clemson and Brownell are not in a position to send talent elsewhere because they have a year to wait on a player...

BTW, Jr. scored double figures in Wake's 1st game and today including a few 3 ptrs, and 7 points in the game against St. Joe's... he has no injury and is starting and started every game played so far.

none of us know what the future holds for any of these players, but Jr. would definitely be playing for us now, while being groomed for when Reed and Mitchell are gone to balance our PG void that is going to be there next year. with Jr., we would have someone to help the true freshman PG next year, but without him, we are going to be dependent on a true freshman coming in and being the lead dog from day 1... and hope freshman growth is exceeded and freshman mistakes are minimized... as PGs on the team go, Reed and Mitchell are it, at least Jr. could have been a bridge to help Dawes along the way next year...

I think you're slighting Trapp

Nov 16, 2018, 10:41 PM

and I don't think Wright would be ahead of him. He wouldn't be ahead of Newman or Tyson either. I hope he has a good career. I'm really glad his dad is still on good terms with us and Brad. He's starting for a really bad team. We're a top 20 team. And BTW, Oliver was higher rated than "Jr" coming out of HS.

Honestly I was surprised Newman and Tyson beat him out the way he closed last year. But that speaks to how highly we regard the 2 guys we have. And anyone not excited about the 3 we have coming in is nuts

no slight to Trapp, I know his game very well

Nov 17, 2018, 12:15 AM

Trapp is a wing guard (playing the 2 & 3), Jr is a combo guard (playing the 2 & 1)... and this is no slight to who comes in next year, but again, behind Reed and Mitchell now, we have no one that can truly step in and run PG. DeVoe did it in a pinch last year, but DeVoe also had experience running a team from the point; that's not Trapp's game but it is Jr's game. If Reed and Mitchell have to miss time this year, they can't miss it at the same time or we're going to suffer... Hunter nor Trapp can run the offense effectively over the course of a full game, Jr could have helped us this year.

as far as the rankings go, if a player is not at least in the top 250, the difference isn't in the talent, the difference is in the skill set and the work ethic... again, Oliver did not impress me coming out of HS, it was always in my mind that he was as much a legacy as Jr. because his mom coached WBB but as it is, Oliver and Jr are gone but Jr is trending up, Oliver had to step down to mid major...

Trapp has played PG since he got here

Nov 17, 2018, 6:09 AM

He was Mitchell's back up last year and has been this year. Reed will sometimes initiate the offense with either in there. Trapp has not played 3 since he's been here

uh... okay...

Nov 18, 2018, 10:36 AM

striperfan said:

He was Mitchell's back up last year and has been this year. Reed will sometimes initiate the offense with either in there. Trapp has not played 3 since he's been here

Reed will SOMETIMES initiate the offense?? if Reed is on the floor, he is the Floor General, ALL the time because he is the point guard... but uh... okay...

btw, last year, Mitchell was the primary PG switch and when Reed and Mitchell both got injuries or were both on the bench, Gabe DeVoe initiated the offense... but uh... okay

have a wonderful week!

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic