Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
men's basketball 2019-2020
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 2,844

men's basketball 2019-2020

Feb 24, 2019, 8:55 AM

What is your gut telling you? Me, I'm buying cases of Rolaids now.

We lose about 95% of our scoring to graduation. Trapp is the only bench player who actually contributes meaningful minutes this year. Our bench has few if any ACC quality players.

How can Judge Keller put lipstick on this pig?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: men's basketball 2019-2020

Feb 24, 2019, 9:04 AM

The trajectory is a bit concerning. No reed Mitchell Thomas skara......is white gone? Will be a long year. If this team is fighting to be about 500 in league if we finish strong next year will probably be about 6-12 in league if we are lucky. 4-14 is a real possibility. How can we catch lightening in a bottle and turn this thing around? We need to examine non traditional powers who turned around and study what they did, UVA should be the prime case.

Feb 24, 2019, 10:06 AM

Javan returns. He is the rare graduate transfer with two years of eligibility.

Jonathan Baehre, redshirting this year, has apparently drawn rave reviews from practice.

Newman and Tyson have actually shown some pretty impressive flashes. Can they take a big step to become reliable contributors next year? We'll see.

Trapp has been coming on strong, and I expect him to be a quality starter at guard next year.

Aamir's potential is sky-high, and he always plays with passion. I expect a big step forward from him as a junior.

Big wild cards: Malik William after a redshirt year and Trey Jemison. Can these guys develop into key contributors? They certainly have the size we need down low with the graduation of Thomas.

Biggest question of all: Can Dawes and Hunter come in ready to play in the backcourt? Both are Top 150 players.

One historical truth, too: Our best seasons in basketball are always when there are virtually no expectations. And when there are expectations, we almost always fall short of them. Yes, it reminds me of football from 1990 to 2010. But no, I am not calling for a coaching change.

Message was edited by: Bama Tiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 24, 2019, 10:51 AM

I'm not sure if it will happen next year, but I believe Jemison will become an outstanding player before he's through.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: men's basketball 2019-2020 ]

Nice to hear about rave reviews but it was against this group. I remember all the Skara talk the last few years about his D. It continues to be mediocre most nights

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 9:04 AM

I'm guessing it will be a long season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 9:05 AM

Followed by a change that will end up being about five years late, maybe 6 or 7.

Feb 24, 2019, 9:09 AM

Pretty sure DRad will have no choice this time next year.

I think you will be right about next year and before..

Feb 24, 2019, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: men's basketball 2019-2020 ]

Anyone jump froggy on my opinion, remember it's 'my' opinion.

It is the sign of a program in trouble when you are 16-11 this season and relying on incoming freshmen next year. We will see. GO TIGERS!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 9:11 AM

Could switch our men’s and ladies coaching staff. Lol ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Feb 24, 2019, 9:13 AM

Next year will be a tough year, but it will be an exciting one in ways, because we get to watch our talented true frosh give us hope for the following year

Feb 24, 2019, 9:44 AM

Carlsbad® said:

Next year will be a tough year, but it will be an exciting one in ways, because we get to watch our talented true frosh give is hope for the following year

Admittedly I don’t follow the basketball recruiting very close. Are the incoming freshman really that much different in talent level? Will they be enough to get things turned around in the 20-21 season?

Feb 24, 2019, 9:48 AM

They are really good guards if you watch their film.

Feb 24, 2019, 9:58 AM

turf2 said:

What is your gut telling you? Me, I'm buying cases of Rolaids now.

We lose about 95% of our scoring to graduation. Trapp is the only bench player who actually contributes meaningful minutes this year. Our bench has few if any ACC quality players.

How can Judge Keller put lipstick on this pig?

The Judge did you a favor by stating facts which is something rare on t-net. Yet you and the clueless like you want to go forward based on emotion. Based on my gut... it feels like... it seems we are always...

It’s not Judge Keller’s job to make you support CU B-ball. It’s your job as a fan to support the team and understand the dynamics of our being where we are as a program. Else you appear to be the same as UofSCoots football fan expecting us to be great based on a handful of successful seasons disregarding the 100+ years of bad results.

How to get better

1) commit to investing in the program so our spending is no lower than 8th in the conference
2) hire a coach who does not do it the same way as everybody else. See Barbers or OP as examples
3) show up and support the team
4) The AD should make all non conference games (less the coot game) general admission with $10 prices
5) Put in a freaking slide. Could be anything to show a little swag and our support for the program

Doing #2 without first doing #1 will simple restart the same old cycle of cycling through coaches hoping to find a good one only to have them jump at the first opportunity

Feb 24, 2019, 11:15 AM

I'm a very big fan. Though I live in the Tampa area now I watch every football, basketball and baseball game that I can find on TV. I know we CAN win in basketball despite our past. Money is helpful but is not the only answer. Elite recruiting is the real answer. Does Loyola Chicago, Butler, Xavier or Gonzaga spend more than Clemson? No; yet they consistently attract and build better teams.

The football team is loaded with great salespeople (recruiters). We need that type of personalities on the hardwood bench too. Brownell has been given a very lengthy tenure to get the job done. If you're pleased with the results then you're the problem; living happily with mediocrity.

I think this guy would be a great fit for our program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Kelsey

Feb 24, 2019, 12:29 PM

turf2 said:

I'm a very big fan. Though I live in the Tampa area now I watch every football, basketball and baseball game that I can find on TV. I know we CAN win in basketball despite our past. Money is helpful but is not the only answer. Elite recruiting is the real answer. Does Loyola Chicago, Butler, Xavier or Gonzaga spend more than Clemson? No; yet they consistently attract and build better teams.

The football team is loaded with great salespeople (recruiters). We need that type of personalities on the hardwood bench too. Brownell has been given a very lengthy tenure to get the job done. If you're pleased with the results then you're the problem; living happily with mediocrity.

I think this guy would be a great fit for our program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Kelsey

How do you think Dabo attracts all those salespeople and keeps them around? Money

All the teams you listed are basketball first schools and in or near the city plus they have natural recruiting territories. CU has none of those things.

Pat Kelsey may be the next coach K but there is nothing in his resume which shows he could compete in the ACC. He would be a huge risk. If nothing else changes less the coach the results are not likely any different

Feb 24, 2019, 12:53 PM

And what exactly in Brownell's resume proved that he could COMPETE in the ACC in what way? Asking for a friend.....

Pat Kelsy at least has the ability to get students inspired; something clearly lacking currently at Clemson.

Chill Out. Let's Get Through This Season First.

Feb 24, 2019, 10:38 AM

You people are unbelievable.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chill Out. Let's Get Through This Season First.

Feb 24, 2019, 10:48 AM

It is reasonable to discuss one season ahead near the end of the current season. It is certainly believable.

Fans who care about the program and know enough about our returning talent will always make predictions about next year.

Feb 24, 2019, 11:11 AM

Plus it is fun talking sports.

it's not fun talking about our basketball outlook for next

Feb 24, 2019, 12:55 PM

year :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Chill Out. Let's Get Through This Season First. ]

two years ago flashes but couldn't win the close one. Last year we won all the close ones and had a good year. With most of that team back we are just like two years ago yet with much more experience. People question what we're doing and where we're doing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 11:54 AM

My gut is telling me I just hope we can finish the season with something better than a first-round N.I.T.loss at Littlejohn.

Feb 24, 2019, 3:20 PM

But, that will almost surely be the story. And then, the refrain will be "just wait until next year." Yeah, right!

Actually, very good ! IF ...

Feb 24, 2019, 3:31 PM

Like someone else said, Clemson Basketball always does better when expectations are low ...

Now, we got some really good Freshman coming in, and the key is NOT to regress them with Midwest Rec League style of play.

IF Coach B adopts a more aggressive style of play for the "O", this will unleash the full potential of these guys. If we continue with the highly choreographed, predictable style of play, it will be flat at at best.

Really, all they have to do is designate an Offense Coordinator. Offense is NOT Coach B's strength. He should just accept the fact that he is the general manager of the team, runs the "D". Let someone else Coach the putting the ball in the Basket, ie Terrence Olgesby.

No need to fire anyone.

Replies: 24
| visibility 2,844
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic