Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
GarbageDisposal.net - Have I bitten off more than I can chew
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 544

GarbageDisposal.net - Have I bitten off more than I can chew

Jun 17, 2020, 3:03 PM

Ok, so disposal stopped up again. It happens. Couldn't get it unclogged. Ended up taking off the pipe and found the problem was in the pipes where the cog was. Fixed it. Put everything back together and noticed a leak. And there was water damage under the sink. Traced the leak and found it coming from the disposal when water was run. The water was coming out of the electrical hole from INSIDE the thing. Recommendations seem universal it needs to be replaced. Fine.

Now I've installed a dish washer, but this seems to be a little more complicated. Can I use the old mounts or should I replace the sink part and mounts as well? This should be interesting. T&P if so inclined. Thx

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I can do it anyone can

Jun 17, 2020, 3:07 PM

I recommend

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EW7LGA/

Put one in a few weeks ago.

Just make sure you don’t forget to pop out the tab where the dishwasher drain goes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Yeah, other odd thing is the piping already there

Jun 17, 2020, 3:12 PM

There's a trap down the line from the disposal, that's dedicated to both sides of the sink and the disposal, meaning it's a straight line from the disposal over to under the other side. I will likely have to cut off an inch or tywo from the PVC, but I'm praying the height lines up. The current drop from the base of the sink (top) to the drain on our current disposal is 6 inches. I hope that's standard. Couldn't find that measurement on Amazon. I know it's wider by 2 inches and deeper by 2 inches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, other odd thing is the piping already there

Jun 17, 2020, 3:15 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, other odd thing is the piping already there

Jun 17, 2020, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Yeah, other odd thing is the piping already there ]

Everything lined up for me and I was replacing a smaller off brand unit. All the brackets etc come with and the insinkerator mount was vastly superior to what I had.

My trap is like yours I think

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I am slowly replacing all the cheep builder crap. Disposal

Jun 17, 2020, 3:25 PM

is just the latest. Got a good one, 7 year warranty. Already replaced the dish washer. Microwave is on my short list now. The fans don't work on it. The lights have a short and don't work. It doesn't keep time (runs fast). About the only ###### thing working on the microwave is it still cooks food fine. As such, I can't part with it. We have one toilet left of the originals. Slowly replacing them with Koehler Highline Classic's as each one invariably springs a leak.

dang all my cheap builder crap is 15 years old

Jun 17, 2020, 3:32 PM

we just put in new stove and dishwasher cause wife had trump money not cause broken

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, honestly when the toilets leaked, I could have

Jun 17, 2020, 3:51 PM

just replaced the wax ring, and used a better one. But if I'm having to pull the toilet apart and off the floor, might as well put in one where my peen doesn't have to be poked down and can hang on its own.

Re: GarbageDisposal.net - Have I bitten off more than I can chew

Jun 17, 2020, 3:09 PM

Did this a few year ago and used the old mounts as I recall. Replacement was same size and brand. Also did a dish washer years ago. Brought new one home and took the old one back to store for disposal in the truck of my 89' honda accord. That car could haul anything

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water coming from the electrical hole likely means

Jun 17, 2020, 3:10 PM

you're going to die, and can I have your stuff?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure, I've got a broke washing machine in the garage,

Jun 17, 2020, 3:14 PM

some old patio furniture, and soon will have a slightly used, slightly leaking garbage disposal. You can HAVE them all. Bring a truck, I got more crap for you.

When water comes out of my disposal...

Jun 17, 2020, 3:11 PM

That means my oldest boy is taking a leak. As far as installing a new dishwasher... don’t tell my wife!

always looking for something new to mount***

Jun 17, 2020, 3:12 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should not

Jun 17, 2020, 3:19 PM

try to make a living being a plumber. I quit fixing everything my self about 10 years ago. Best decision ever. I have a lot of skill and can build about anything, but dang I'm slow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did one about 15 years ago and went from a small one to

Jun 17, 2020, 3:47 PM

a much more powerful. It still worked, I might have had to modify a pipe, but I don't remember it being a big hassle. I do remember there was less room under the sink when I put that larger unit in, but it never clogged again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, we'll have to move the trashcan to the other side

Jun 17, 2020, 3:52 PM

Worth a little less room if it doesn't clog.

Re: GarbageDisposal.net - Have I bitten off more than I can chew

Jun 17, 2020, 8:37 PM

https://youtu.be/lmj02FrSgH8

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's the silver lining to all this----resale.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:44 PM

When you fix the garbage disposal, add $1500-2000 to your home valuaton.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you need to do away with the disposal

Jun 17, 2020, 11:30 PM

Buy a pig and feed the pig scraps like normal people instead of trying to keep up with the Jones. And use paper plates = no dishes. Feed plates to aforementioned pig. No clean up, no mess. You’re whackum

Replies: 18
| visibility 544
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic