Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will someone please explain to me why so many on here think
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Will someone please explain to me why so many on here think

Nov 17, 2014, 4:04 PM

the OL is somehow separate from our offensive identity? So many posts about how bad the OL is, and how that's the main problem. I get it. Could we be better upfront? Absolutely.

But we also don't run a conventional system, and CM has a huge say in the type of OL we recruit. He decides how we use them scheme wise. He decides if we're in 2 or 3pt. stance. He determines the blocking scheme for his system. He, along with the OL, decides how we're gonna block things from week to week.

He makes the decision to have them go pass pro in order to continue the deception game when we run.

Of course we could be better up front... but I don't understand all the posts screaming about the OL like it's separate from our offensive identity.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Can you explain to me why you think the RB sitiuation is

Nov 17, 2014, 4:06 PM

seperate from our offensive identity?

Cause you harp on that a lot

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

york plays the harp?

Nov 17, 2014, 4:08 PM

are y'all in a band or something?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Yes, I play the

Nov 17, 2014, 4:09 PM

sousaphone

You'd expect that from an angel.***

Nov 17, 2014, 4:10 PM [ in reply to york plays the harp? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

d@mn skippy***

Nov 17, 2014, 4:11 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I left out 'only,...

Nov 17, 2014, 4:25 PM

as in 'You'd only expect that from an angel.'

hahaha, just messin wich jew, brah

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know demons are technically angels....

Nov 17, 2014, 4:11 PM [ in reply to You'd expect that from an angel.*** ]

don't know where I'm going with that, but there it is

you can just say it...

Nov 17, 2014, 4:13 PM

you're mad about the soap dispensers

let it goooo, let it gooooooo

But but but

Nov 17, 2014, 4:17 PM

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY FREAKING TYPES OF THEM?!?!? LIKE WHY CAN'T THERE ONLY BE LIKE 15 DIFFERENT ONES?? WHO POSSIBLY NEEDS SO MANY CHOICES FOR SOMETHING LIKE THAT??

Why York? Why?

well, you could always***

Nov 17, 2014, 4:18 PM

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Nope, woulda been the same boat cause then you gotta

Nov 17, 2014, 4:20 PM

get a soap dish. And there were just as many choices for those

you better be trying to impress juan fine @ss girl....

Nov 17, 2014, 4:22 PM

and IBWG don't count

Hey don't you talk about bob that way, she's a lady

Nov 17, 2014, 4:24 PM

But for realz, can you imagine it all once it's all in place with matching entry way runners, soap dispensers and trashcans, and hawt tub?

gives me the chills just thinking bout the final product

it's not...

Nov 17, 2014, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Can you explain to me why you think the RB sitiuation is ]

when did i say it was?

But is it though?***

Nov 17, 2014, 4:09 PM

Morris isn't the oline coach, Caldwell is...

Nov 17, 2014, 4:07 PM

and Caldwell doesn't teach fundamentals at all. Under his whole tenure at Clemson, our olinemen just stand still and block with their hands. Absolutely no footwork, what so ever. It's not the blocking scheme, it's the lack of fundamentals coming from Caldwell's coaching.

I can agree with that... OL coach is responsible for player

Nov 17, 2014, 4:08 PM

development

but if you look at our production and break our scheme down, where we are right now... we aren't doing our RBs, or QBs, an favors.

Yeah because of terrible oline play...

Nov 17, 2014, 4:11 PM

oline play is the one thing holding us back from taking another step forward.

Why do the OL/RBs look better when DW plays?***

Nov 17, 2014, 4:19 PM [ in reply to I can agree with that... OL coach is responsible for player ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't understand your point? Of course they do

Nov 17, 2014, 4:21 PM

DW puts a ton of pressure on the defense... TB made Hot Rod look good.

the overall point is that, against similar talent, we struggle... I think that's evident by DW going down. You don't think we are talented enough, without DW, to average more than 13 pts. vs. Cuse, GT, and BC?

I don't buy that

Re: I can agree with that... OL coach is responsible for player

Nov 17, 2014, 9:12 PM [ in reply to I can agree with that... OL coach is responsible for player ]

Hey big 12 guy you do know we only have 5 or 6 left

D@mn york stop acting like a moron

Re: Morris isn't the oline coach, Caldwell is...

Nov 17, 2014, 9:14 PM [ in reply to Morris isn't the oline coach, Caldwell is... ]

That is where you are wrong. Caldwell is a #### of an O. line coach. His line at NC state was just plain nasty. It is Morris scheme, not Caldwell, that is the problem. Standing there and blocking with their hands is exactly what they are doing on a lot of plays. They are not doing that because Caldwell is not teaching fundamentals, they are doing that because the Chad wants draw blocking on that particular running play. Morris schemes are not conducive to getting low and firing off the ball. Too much deception and not enough nasty in the Chad's offense.

Get real man, the only 3 FBS programs Caldwell has...

Nov 17, 2014, 9:30 PM

coached at are UNC, NC State, and Vandy. 3 schools who could care less about football. NC State has never had a nasty oline. I'm a Bears fan, and in 2009 the Bears drafted one of his players, Chris Williams, in the first round. He ended up being a huge bust, and blocked the same exact way our oline has blocked ever since Caldwell has been here at Clemson. Chris Williams kept his feet still and blocked with his hands. Our oline blocks the same way no matter what play is called. There is not a blocking scheme that calls for your oline just to stand still and block with their hands. Caldwell is a never was been that doesn't coach fundamentals. There is a reason why, before coming to Clemson, that he never coached at a school that cared about football.

I think you are overthinking this whole thing

Nov 17, 2014, 4:23 PM

I'd say most of our problems are not the backs or the line. It is because of poor QB play when DW is not in the game.

When DW plays - defenses have to play honest - safeties have to play deep, DC's are more cautious in blitzing and the line overall played better. While I agree RB talent is not great - they too seemed to perform better because the D can't stack the box.

With Watson out and Cole in - D's pin their ears back - blitz the run gaps and tighten up their safeties - killing the run game. They also feel more comfortable playing 1 on 1 at the corners and then blow the line up with blitzing safeties and backers.

Again - while I would agree with you that line and backs are below average - those weaknesses mostly pop out at you (with obvious exceptions at FSU) with Cole (or Nick) in the game.

Morris said the playbook was trimmed down for Cole.

Nov 17, 2014, 4:29 PM

He's a pro set QB and he's not going to change. He tries to run the option read and our opponents cover the RB every single time cause they know the worst that can happen is Cole going for a few yards then sliding.

Cole gains more yards on QB draws than the option read. I'm not dissing Cole, just pointing out what I think is happening on the field.

This is my main take away ^^^^

Nov 17, 2014, 5:17 PM [ in reply to I think you are overthinking this whole thing ]

Sure, the OL misses blocks. I also see the back missing blocks. I also saw Bama's online and backs miss blocks. Did I count them - no, but there were a decent number. Our blocking scheme is not the motor grader scheme employed by Ford or Howard. Heck, I don't think anyone teaches drive blocking any more.

But the biggest thing is we are very predictable when DW is NOT in the game. The opposing D basically calls "roll call at the ball" and T's off. Bama's OL could not block that scenario. Add to it Cole has shown some poor pocket awareness to boot. As has been pointed out, we don't throw over the middle, we rarely throw to the TE or backs, so the LBs can be almost 100% focused on the run or pass rushing.

Are you saying it is our offensive identity to not protect

Nov 17, 2014, 6:41 PM

the QB in the pocket? Tajh Boyd ran for his life last year. So does Cole this year. I watched the FSU game Saturday and Jameis Winston had enough time to cook and eat a mess of crab legs before he threw the ball. If this O line is by design, Dabo needs to kick the designer's butt.

I think we're on the same page... I'm saying that

Nov 17, 2014, 6:49 PM

CM is ultimately responsible for what we are doing up front

I've been looking for that guy for years. Thanks.***

Nov 17, 2014, 6:57 PM

We should have fired Morris right after the Orange Bowl

Nov 17, 2014, 6:56 PM

Last year.

Funny, I remember when Chad was the next Hall of a Fame coach.

Losing sucks

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will someone please explain to me why so many on here think

Nov 17, 2014, 7:13 PM

So we can count how many times you post to your same thread

Nov 17, 2014, 9:04 PM

You do notice the OL was not that big of an issue when Boyd and Watson are QBs, right? That answer that question. The offensive identity is fine with them two. Also the guys we have on the OL were on team or already committed before Morris got here.

Nov 17, 2014, 9:04 PM

You do notice the OL was not that big of an issue when Boyd and Watson are QBs, right? That answer that question. The offensive identity is fine with them two. Also the guys we have on the OL were on team or already committed before Morris got here.

It is worth pointing out that we haven't been able to start

Nov 17, 2014, 10:00 PM

the same 5 at the same 5 spots all season.
On the OL that matters a lot.

UGa;s OL hasn't been impressive for years, but this year they've started the same 5 all season, and they are looking good now.

Sometimes the lack of pass pro is a player blocking the wrong way. That happens less when players stay in the same position game after game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic