Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
odds 'n ends from opening win
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

odds 'n ends from opening win

Sep 2, 2013, 3:31 PM

here are some observations/thoughts after watching saturday night's thriller more than once:

1. haven't seen anyone comment on this, but how huge was Breeland's horsecollar tackle on Conley when CU was up 31-28? don't get me wrong, i never like to see a player tackled like that, very serious injuries can easily happen that way, but he took him down the only way he could in that situation. and not only did he save a TD, but he saved 3 points, as they botched the FG! might have saved us some overtime teeth gnashing...

2. overall i thought our playcalling was a little conservative, actually. i trust Morris wholeheartedly and obviously it got the job done, but at times it looked like he didn't trust that Tajh would be given the time to make downfield reads. but hey, maybe it's a blessing that we were able to beat the #5 team by running a lot and throwing primarily out in the flats!

3. know what play i'd like to see more? the wishbone-esque play where Sammy halts his jetsweep motion and Tajh fakes the handoff on a zone read-looking play and wheels around to run to the other side with Sammy as his pitch man. love that play. and every single time i've seen it Tajh has picked up very good yardage. and *not once* have i seen him pitch to Sammy in that situation. gotta love all the looks in Chad's playbook!

4. i really hope that we do something to right our punt return situation. last year we never even attempted to make a return. it's like we just want someone out there who can make the fair catch every time, regardless of possible space in front of him. it's like trying not to fail instead of trying to win the play. with our offense, i guess it's a win any time we get the ball via a punt, but still...we have weapons! i'd like to see us score on special teams every now and then. Alabama would've been in for a tight one against VT if not for their returns for TDs.

5. personally i don't mind other teams "getting a peak" at our players running down the hill. it's all part of a real rivalry. over the years i've seen VT and FSU do that too, in addition to UGA and SCU. i remember seeing the whole teams from Clemson and UGA meet at midfield for the coin flip in the 80s...that was intense!

this is going to be an exciting ride, Tigers fans!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we did not throw many deep passes because of

Sep 2, 2013, 3:39 PM

pressure. They seemed to have one guy coming through every pass play. There was not much time to drop back.

Re: I think we did not throw many deep passes because of***

Sep 2, 2013, 3:39 PM

Re: odds 'n ends from opening win

Sep 2, 2013, 4:05 PM

I generally agree with your thoughts 1 -3, do not agree with pt. 3 that we didn't want to do a punt return and just want to make fair catches. We did many times. As to pt 4, I really don't like opposing players standing, taunting our guys as they come down the hall. It's classless and completely devoid of sportsmanship and respect. It's stupid to do, and is playing with fire. Have you forgotten when USC did it and a brawl later ensued, costing us a bowl game? That sort of thing needs to be banned if opposing coaches are so classless as to allow their teams to do it.

Just my 2 cents.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: odds 'n ends from opening win

Sep 2, 2013, 9:06 PM

you make a good point about the brawl after the SCU game. that obviously has no place in the game and could potentially stem from trash talking/trashy gestures during the pregame, you're right. i was more remembering those 80s contests with Georgia (and others) that saw the same sorta thing and then some...but then i was a child and most of the memories are easy to glorify because we won :)

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic