Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think we are more set at the QB position than the outside
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1,762

I think we are more set at the QB position than the outside

Mar 28, 2014, 2:59 PM

of Tiger nation believes. My question is who starts at RB at UGAy in the opener? I think that is a huge question. Last year Hot Rod was a known quantity and I felt like he would have a great year. Who is next in line to have a 1000 yard season?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you saying you think Stoudt already has the job won?***

Mar 28, 2014, 3:07 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Based on their limited action last year, I'd say Stoudt

Mar 28, 2014, 3:13 PM

is heads and shoulders ahead of Kelly.

Kelly was undeniably more athletic (and a bigger upside) but Stoudt seemed to have a cooler command of the offense. I think Stoudt gets the nod this year because of his experience in the offense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot can and

Mar 28, 2014, 4:45 PM

will happen in the next five months

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt most likely to start between the hedges, but..

Mar 28, 2014, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Are you saying you think Stoudt already has the job won?*** ]

...I don't think Morris or Swinney will hesitate to sub Kelly if Stoudt struggles in that game.

He's the most senior, the most mature, and has football smarts on top of a full understanding of Morris' strategy and our program. And in his limited play he hasn't shown any severe weaknesses (some weakness, just not severe or not reversible).

But since he's likely in his last year, there is no real benefit to the team to let him struggle in any one game much less for a season.

Stoudt

Mar 28, 2014, 4:58 PM

IMO...

what a lot of ppl don't seem to realize is that Cole
has never been "really" tested; Despite his stats.
Teams haven't game planed for him.
I can see teams loading the box against him and basicly
shutting him down.

Loading the box against a QB with a proven arm

Mar 28, 2014, 5:02 PM

can backfire quickly, too. I think Morris would like to see that so he could exercise some around the end trickery.

You don't load the box against an accurate thrower

Mar 29, 2014, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Stoudt ]

Stoudt is not a running threat. Kelly is the kind of QB that you'd load the box on and dare him to beat you with his arm.

Re: Stoudt most likely to start between the hedges, but..

Mar 28, 2014, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Stoudt most likely to start between the hedges, but.. ]

I have said and I believe that very same statement. There will be nothing to lose, and everything to gain in pulling the trigger quick if Cole stumbles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stoudt most likely to start between the hedges, but..

Mar 28, 2014, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Stoudt most likely to start between the hedges, but.. ]

Outsider looking in.
I do believe Stoudt has earned the right to be the #1 QB but still has to earn it through spring and fall.
If Stoudt struggles and you do go for a backup why Kelly and not Watson? I think Kelly is in a bad spot coming between Boyd,Stoudt and Watson. I think if youre going that way and you're gonna take lumps why not take them with a 5 star?

"5 star" - I see "4 star" listed on Watson - he lost his

Mar 28, 2014, 8:29 PM

last game and injured - barring injuries to Stoudt and Kelly, he would do better to redshirt. By the way, 19%, Stoudt and Kelly were 4 star HS phenoms also! 19%! you have to be a coot!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "5 star" - I see "4 star" listed on Watson - he lost his

Mar 29, 2014, 12:08 PM

What gave it away that he was a coot? Saying "outsider looking in?" Good detective work.

Re: Are you saying you think Stoudt already has the job won?***

Mar 28, 2014, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Are you saying you think Stoudt already has the job won?*** ]

I'm certainly not saying that, but if we have a QB that can take the job from Stoudt, then we are a whole lot better at QB than we've been led to believe. Let's hope that we have a QB that's good enough to do that tall task.

That said - I am actually saying that Stoudt will be the starter at UGA. I would totally shocked otherwise. The ONLY way that Kelly is going to play is in mop-up or if Morris puts in some packages favoring the run. That would be exciting to see.

Or if Stoudt struggles in managing whole games

Mar 28, 2014, 3:34 PM

I think given all the circumstances of this year - Stoudt a short timer, Watson in wings, etc., there is little reason to not sub Kelly as needed to give him his due and see how he performs.

If Stoudt proves to be the guy that can handle it all for 4Qs, then Kelly maybe is given the same duties as Stoudt was last year. If he's still around....

Re: As of right now, yes

Mar 28, 2014, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Are you saying you think Stoudt already has the job won?*** ]

No question. Things can change certainly, but if they don't he's your starter.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you're jumping the gun - Stoudt has never been.....

Mar 28, 2014, 3:20 PM

the starter in a game much less played very much when it really counted in a major game like playing UGA in Athens will be.

And that's even more true with Kelly, not to mention the freshman from Gainesville, GA.

Remember that athletic ability and potential don't guarantee anything - we have to wait until they're in a pressure situation to see what they can really do. Putting any of these guys in as a first-time starter in the first game against UGA is going to be tough.

That's why I think we could see both play in that game

Mar 28, 2014, 3:48 PM

As my other comments here note: Stoudt is most mature and tested (what little he's been tested). But there if it's decided to start him, there's no reason to let him struggle or worse for the team to struggle in that game.

I DO see the upside to being relatively quick to sub Kelly if needed. If Kelly struggles, that's a different story. But I will not be surprised if we see a lot of both QBs between the hedges.

I need to read what I type....I DO see the upside.

Re: I think we are more set at the QB position than the outside

Mar 28, 2014, 3:22 PM

I think he plays a lot whether he is the starter or not I do not know. He has worked hard this off season he is at 230 lbs (Ideal pro size QB) and have read he has improved his speed. I think Kelly brings a lot to the huddle also. CDS is a conservative person so with Stoudt being a little more known entity one would think that he would turn the keys of the car over to Cole until he proves he can not handle that pressure. I think Chad and Cole will fight for that starting position until the FSU game. Regardless who starts they both will see a lot of playing time early.

With that said I have really have no feel for what happens at RB position at all. I know we have a lot of candidates but not sure who emerges as the starter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seniority probably wins at RB to start between the

Mar 28, 2014, 4:32 PM

hedges, too. Especially since coaches seem happy with the effort so far from the more experienced trio - Howard/Davidson/Brooks. I still expect to see Gallman carry the ball some in that game, especially because it's home state turf for him.

Don't forget about Dye - if recovered from injury. Last fall

Mar 28, 2014, 5:27 PM

before he was injured he was without question the best running back out the - runs low shifty quick and powerful!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gallman may be more ready

Mar 28, 2014, 6:31 PM

since Dye is being held back from full work until the fall.

I think it will be Davidson........

Mar 28, 2014, 5:28 PM

Brook's ability to hold on to the ball is troublesome, Howard is just not that talented, Gallman is inexperienced and so is Choice if he avoids a redshirt. Davidson is battle tested and did a nice job in the Orange Bowl. Multiple backs will play, but the atmosphere demands an experienced, reliable, back to start. It is a LONG way off, but Davidson may very well be the man.

I like Davidson's speed, but I'm not sure about his size.

Mar 29, 2014, 12:24 PM

I just don't see us having a premier back in the first 4 games. I think it'll be RB-by-committee until one guy really surfaces as a reliable every down kind of back.

Don't sleep on Gallman though. RB is not a position that you need a ton of experience to excel if you have instincts and/or size to make up for the lack of experience. Don't know about Gallman's instincts, but he seems to have the size.

I think Stoudt and Gallman start...

Mar 28, 2014, 7:24 PM

Did not know Stoudt was up to 230...

Replies: 23
| visibility 1,762
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic