Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think those who claim Clemson's path to the Playoff is...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

I think those who claim Clemson's path to the Playoff is...

Jan 26, 2019, 7:54 AM

easy are leaving out another factor which is more important. I'm not confirming or disputing the claim, I'm just saying it's a fool's selection from the multifaceted and in your face difference between Bama and Clemson this season. The issue is that Clemson was deeper on both sides of the ball at the LOS and on the defense in general.

While it may be so that the ACC is a bit softer than the SEC that isn't reflected so much in the score differential between the Bama's scores against SEC teams and Clemson's scores against ACC teams. Bama outscored its SEC foes much more than Clemson outscored its ACC counterparts. Couple that with the buttwhuppin Clemson gave Alabama and a reasonable person would say that Clemson faced much better opponents.

Maybe, maybe not. I believe Bama was 'beat up,' over the season and was missing starters because Saban failed to play backups early and often enough to keep his starters safe and train backups to play the game. I don't know why but I can imagine he worried about losing a game and missing the playoff. Then again, maybe the SEC is a little tougher than the ACC, but not that much.

I believe the truth is something that most folks in the Southeast just don't want to see. Clemson is just plain, matter of fact, deeper than Alabama. Those recruiting rankings are a joke, not a funny joke, one of those fart in church type jokes which is funny except when people look at you instead of the guy beside you who farted.

I wouldn't have thought Dabo would do that to Nick but the evidence is right there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are we still worried about what other people think/say?

Jan 26, 2019, 8:02 AM

Why????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think respecting folks enough to respond to them with...

Jan 26, 2019, 8:52 AM

reasonable and logical discussion is quite Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We beat #1 and #3 by a combined score of 74-19 and could

Jan 26, 2019, 8:02 AM

have scored more if we wanted to.

That was easy!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but but but aTM and cuse were close and SCAR

Jan 26, 2019, 8:20 AM

Exposed our secondary with a kid not even old enough to be in college

Just makes curb stomping the blue bloods that much sweeter

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Clemson set up ND and Bama with the D we showed

Jan 26, 2019, 8:24 AM

against the coots. We knew we would blow them out so we showed weakness that really wasn't there. We didn't need to open the defensive playbook against them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think Clemson set up ND and Bama with the D we showed

Jan 26, 2019, 8:29 AM

^^^ this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was my first thought during the game but I think...

Jan 26, 2019, 9:19 AM [ in reply to I think Clemson set up ND and Bama with the D we showed ]

there's a lot more to it than just sandbagging. Imo, it was a futile attempt by our coaching staff to stress our offense. It was Trevor's next lesson in the coaching playbook.

I wonder if they’d ever come out and say that?

Jan 26, 2019, 9:39 AM [ in reply to I think Clemson set up ND and Bama with the D we showed ]

The coots would lose their minds, well if there’s any minds left

Re: I think those who claim Clemson's path to the Playoff is...

Jan 26, 2019, 8:26 AM

If I may add just two small notes.
I agree with everything you said but would point out that, IMO. The ACC was down a little and was a bit weaker because of these two factors;
1)The mess that Jimbo left at Florida State,( and now the subsequent legal issues Taggert is facing from some illegal practice techniques at Oregon)have FSU reeling, and it may be a couple of years before they are once again the FSU that the ACC needs for(let's say )more credible.
Also, like him or not Lamar Jackson was a playmaker that made Louisville dangerous.
It will be interesting, going forward to see if coaching changes at Ga. Tech and Miami will make them stronger but the conference as a whole needs FSU to regain it's previous position as one of the two Atlantic Division teams you need to beat year in and year out.

I agree but the fact that the ACC may be down...

Jan 26, 2019, 8:55 AM

is confounded by the fact that we stomped a mudhole out of Bama's butt after they romped and stomped through the SEC like a dose of salts through a widow woman. :)

Jan 26, 2019, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: I think those who claim Clemson's path to the Playoff is... ]

I believe most people will accept the fact that the ACC was down this year but there is an added qualifier, Clemson was head and shoulders above all of the other ACC teams which makes the conference look even weaker. The same can be said for the SEC. Alabama was head and shoulders above most of the SEC teams and those teams on the lower end get a SEC PERCEPTION bump from the media. One thing never mentioned is the fact that, no matter the record of a team re their win/loss record, they block and tackle just as hard as the big boys.

I attribute our win over Notre Dame to better talent and execution. I attribute our win over Alabama to coaching (a plus for Clemson, a negative for Alabama), execution, depth and our elite QB and receivers. The only factor I would concede to Alabama was their overall talent level. Unfortunately for the Tide, much of that talent was sitting on the bench and never entered the game. Many of those players would be starters at some other school. Failure to develop depth with an abundance of potential talent can be placed directly at the feet of the coaching staff.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2019, 8:39 AM

our path wouldnt be easier if we didnt have to, by law, play a crappy SEC bottom feeder each year at the end of the season. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are dozens of teams that

Jan 26, 2019, 8:48 AM

'Think' they were a more worthy opponent for Clemson than the 'path' the Tigers took. That's the beauty of 'thinking'...it's delusional...like a drug. Reality is, they're counting their lucky stars they weren't on the schedule.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There are dozens of teams that

Jan 26, 2019, 9:15 AM

Yep. We've proven so many teams wrong in the last several years, yet they never learn. We've beaten Georgia, OH-31-0 twice, Notre Dame twice, Oklahoma twice, Auburn three times, LSU, A&M. Going forward, we won't be hearing as many teams chanting "we want Clemson". People are finally starting to wake up.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Jan 26, 2019, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: I think those who claim Clemson's path to the Playoff is... ]

I have for years heard about such a law but I don’t know if one actually exist.If it does I doubt it would hold up to scrutiny since our esteemed legislative people should have nothing to do with who a football team plays. Something that stupid, if it exist, would be tossed quicker than jake Bentley telling his fans he was returning for his senior season

Re the church event ClemsonTiger1988 .....

Jan 26, 2019, 8:55 AM

...are you speaking from experience?? lol

I agree with your thoughts on the playoff path btw....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Re: Re the church event ClemsonTiger1988 .....

Jan 26, 2019, 9:08 AM

No, that's second hand from one of my past employers, Rut Galloway. He said he often farted at home and blamed it on his 7 yr old son, Brent. The family would laugh knowing that Rut was joking with the boy. Rut farts then says 'WHY BRENT?' lol right?

According to Rut, Brent tore a nice, loud one off on a wooden pew at church one Sunday morning then said, 'WHY DADDY?'

Back in the mid to late sixties, there was a guy that

Jan 26, 2019, 9:47 AM

coached football at Ware Shoals named Rut Galloway. Wonder if its the same guy?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That short story just torme up.

Jan 26, 2019, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Re the church event ClemsonTiger1988 ..... ]

Haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Thanks!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Jan 26, 2019, 9:06 AM

Generally speaking, we could have beaten most of our ACC foes by larger margins by playing the starters until the last two minutes of games. That's obviously not the approach Dabo chose to take. He substituted 2nd and 3rd stringers at critical points throughout games to develop meaningful depth and save some wear and tear on starters, because he knew that was essential to having an advantage in the postseason. That approach was successful and hopefully puts us in a better position to reload the defense next season instead of having to rebuild. It gives upper classmen an opportunity to mentor their subs during games and also shows recruits they'll have an opportunity to earn early playing time even if they don't win a starting position.

That leads to two comments.

Jan 26, 2019, 9:15 AM

First and imo, most important, players must experience playing when the outcome of the game hasn't been determined. It desensitizes them to pressure which is the quickest and best way to force them to rely on training, muscle memory and give the confidence in their ability to play within the game plan.

It also keeps the game within reach of opponents which pressures our starters more than allowing them to blow teams out and stand on the sideline.

I hadn't considered your comment about mentoring. You're absolutely correct. It may help the starters as much as their backups for they are constantly involved in the game and the game plan.

Jan 26, 2019, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: I think those who claim Clemson's path to the Playoff is... ]

The Tigers disposed of everyone set in front of them, including the “Domers”and the mighty “Sabanites”. 15-0 says it all.

Jan 26, 2019, 9:23 AM

We also didn’t show everything we had all season

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jan 26, 2019, 9:41 AM

Correct, and maybe I'm way wrong, but I also believed we showed a few holes in our defense late in the season that weren't really there for our future opponents to try to exploit and create opportunities for potential tunovers.

We didn't show it in the Playoff either.

Jan 26, 2019, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Re: I think those who claim Clemson's path to the Playoff is... ]

Between the two playoff games we could have put up another 40 points.

The honest truth is that the only tough ACC game we had was

Jan 26, 2019, 10:31 AM

due to our QB leaving the team earlier that week and our new QB getting injured and leaving the game. Other than that, our ACC schedule, including the ACCCG, was a complete cakewalk.

Now that's not something we can control, but it is true.

At the same time, we played 3 division 1 OOC teams, 2 from the SEC, and won all of those games. So we did what we had to do to earn a spot in the playoff. That's all that I care about.

From the looks of the 44-16 askwhuppin we laid on bama...

Jan 26, 2019, 11:29 AM

the SEC would have been a cakewalk too. No sense bringing the Big 12, PAC and B1G into this conversation.

Bama HAD to play starters in the 2nd half vs The Citadel

Jan 26, 2019, 11:46 AM

So it was hard for them to develop depth.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic