Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You folks have my sympathy.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

You folks have my sympathy.

Jun 12, 2020, 6:02 PM

You are going through, on an even larger scale, what happens to FSU every 10 to 20 years. It is only a matter of time until "Seminoles" will no longer be the official mascot of the university. The only reason it still is the mascot because the Chief of the Seminole nation in Florida supports it.

But, it is not politically correct. And, evry few years some group rises up and says it is racist and demeaning. (Stanford, St. John's and Syracuse changed their mascots in the not too distant past. I expect the next time the issue is raised at FSU, it will be changed as well.)

If/when it happens I expect they will go the Stanford route and we will become the FSU Garnet.

My personal preference (sarcasm emoticon inserted here) would be to honor our state's heritage and change our colors to pink and yellow (pastel shades) and call ourselves the Fighting Flamingos.

Now, back to serious comment, I have no idea where this renaming will end. But, it would not surprise me if the name of the town and the college are changed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they pay the Seminole tribe a nice

Jun 12, 2020, 6:10 PM

piece of change every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If “THEY” ever attempt to change Univ and/or Town name of Clemson, I will protest!

Jun 12, 2020, 6:21 PM

Saying..let’s stop this non-sense!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: train left the station can't stop progressive madness***

Jun 12, 2020, 6:23 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But PROGRESSIVE means PROGRESS.

Jun 13, 2020, 6:52 AM

How can PROGRESS be bad?

/s

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: You folks have my sympathy.

Jun 12, 2020, 6:24 PM

What type of tree do you want on your helmet and basketball court?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 6:53 PM

I think the Florida State Snow Birds has a good ring to it.

Jun 12, 2020, 7:25 PM

I actually like that one. Lol.

Let's be honest...

Jun 12, 2020, 7:05 PM

The use of a Native American name for a mascot is really just a historical romanticization of a people who you dominated and wiped out. Just be honest about it.

I can't imagine Clemson's mascot being the Cherokees. Read that history...is there anything glorious in that? What right would Clemson University have to claiming that name? Appropriating that name comes from a time when these issues were not even a part of the cultural and historical dialogue.

Some things in the world change for the better.

Re: Let's be honest...

Jun 12, 2020, 7:36 PM

Not accurate. The Seminole Tribe was never wiped out. It is the only major tribe that never signed a formal peace treaty with the US government. Hence, you often see the word "Unconquered" along with FSU mascot and images. (The huge statue of Chief Osceola riding Renegade outside the entrace to Doak Campbell field is titled "Unconquered."

Part of the Seminole Tribe history that they take great pride in is the fact that, to this day, they remain "unconquered."

I appreciate your reply and truthfully Iike the way your

Jun 12, 2020, 8:14 PM

mascot presents in it's pageantry etc. I can see how it is paying homage to the former glory of a culture.

But the Seminole Nation was conquered whether it was formal or not. However, if the Seminole Nation doesn't mind their name being appropriated then so be it. I'm glad they have the choice to make that decision for themselves as that just seems respectful.

Jun 13, 2020, 3:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Let's be honest... ]

If the Seminole Tribe is "unconquered" then they must be an autonomous nation.

So why is there a white guy in Native warpaint riding a horse at football games?

Jun 13, 2020, 6:31 AM

I got it. The Florida State Crazy Ants.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 7:06 PM

Sympathy for what? What's the bad news?

Jun 12, 2020, 7:17 PM

If it comes to it, I offer this mascot suggestion: Florida State Panhandlers.

You're welcome. :)

Your a good egg bretfsu. Just trying to have a little levity in these troubled times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here was one suggestion....

Jun 12, 2020, 9:16 PM

....back several years ago when there was a move to change the mascot, someone suggested we should use the name of the city and call us the Tally Whackers!

Thomas Sumter, the Carolina Gamecock, owned slaves.***

Jun 12, 2020, 7:38 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jun 12, 2020, 9:40 PM

Long Beach State changed their mascot awhile back too. Who'da ever thunk "49'er" was a racist term?

Jun 12, 2020, 10:45 PM

FSU could be the fighting tulips, but they aren’t that pretty. Maybe the corn lickers.

Jun 13, 2020, 10:51 AM

Yet a statue of frigging Lenin stands proudly and completely unmolested in Seattle. You know, the guy who led a communist takeover of Russia that ultimately killed tens of millions, and that was in the 20th century. Nobody pulling that sucker down or demanding it be removed are they? Remember that any time they claim this is about what somebody did in the past. This is all a very transparent ruse to fool the white guilt virtue signallers into supporting a bunch of America hating Marxists.

Jun 13, 2020, 12:01 PM

The Florida Panther is a rare native species and would make a good mascot. I saw one cross I-95 just below Miami in the late 80's

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic