Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We are going to have to be a 3-point shooting team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,876

We are going to have to be a 3-point shooting team

Feb 24, 2018, 7:38 PM

First, what a great win. We gave up a double digit lead but still managed to come back and close out against a tough GT team. Especially considering our 3-game losing streak, 4 in a row would have been tough to deal with.

I think that for the rest of this year we are going to need the 3-pointer to be a huge part of our offense to be successful. When Grantham went down, we went on that 4 game streak by shooting lights out from 3-point land. Our recent skid we have shot poorly from there to say the least, which has led to some long offensive droughts. Mitchell going down could have played a roll in that since he had been banging in quite a few threes.

Since Thomas generally has foul issues we tend to lack an inside scoring presence leading to the need to shoot the 3-ball, but in games where we have shot well it has really opened up the interior for assists and easy baskets. I don't mind shooting a lot of 3's since it really is the way the game of basketball is going, we've just got to make a good percentage as we enter tournament time. Today we shot poorly again (5-17 I believe), but still managed to grit out the win.

What say you tigernet?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We are going to have to be a 3-point shooting team

Feb 24, 2018, 8:34 PM

I'm still a big believer in rebounds and foul shots.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely.*****

Feb 24, 2018, 8:49 PM

Feb 25, 2018, 8:57 AM

Clemson will go as far as they want if they can do the following

1. Shoot season avg or better from 3
2. Keep the ball moving
3. Ensure Gabe, Mitchell and Reed do not try to do too much. Play as a team.
4. Start inside and work it inside outside
5. Avoid lapses of dumb decisions
6. Each game find two players from pool of Simms, Trapp, Spencer, Donnal and Skara to play above their game average and give some surprising output each game.

The leaders of this team need more help now. Teams are adjusting as they see how Clemson is playing without Dante. This means Clemson Coaching stafff needs to adjust to in order to affect the opponent.

Right now if the opponent targets to stop Reed and Gabe... then they drastically minimize Clemson. Mitchell and Thomas can step up but they need help.

Feb 25, 2018, 9:21 AM

Clemson's been a 3-point shooting team all year...which HAS opened the inside game, both for the bigs and Reed and Mitchell on the drive/dish.

In conference, teams know your tendencies and strengths/weaknesses. In the Dance, less is known...and even less preparation time is available. Aside from playing another ACC foe, Clemson can be a dangerous team because of what it does very well. Additionally, Skara is proving to be a very effective shutdown defender on an opponent's key player. That's an invaluable component to success.

I'd love to see a deep ACC run, but mostly to position the team for chemistry/timing in the Tourney. I don't want it at the expense of a critical injury or unnecessary wear and tear before their first weekend of action.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That #5 part - I see similarities in many turnovers from

Feb 25, 2018, 5:28 PM [ in reply to Re: We are going to have to be a 3-point shooting team ]

lazy pass/catch work at the top of the half court. Duke ate us alive on it (no Mitch) but Ga. Tech had it covered well also.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That #5 part - I see similarities in many turnovers from

Feb 25, 2018, 6:28 PM

100% agree. Clemson margin of error is thin so players have to stay sharp all game long. Don't get lackadaisical. Focus and anticipate.

I think the FIRST priority is taking it to the hoop !

Feb 25, 2018, 4:12 PM

again, more often then not your going to get fouled if you don't make the shot OR, you kick it out for the jumper, 3 pt shots being the gravy

You start making jumpers then the defense has to come out and that in turn opens the inside for EZ shots or the always spectacular "alley oop".

All in all, it results in the basketball going through the basket.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the FIRST priority is taking it to the hoop !

Feb 25, 2018, 6:27 PM

Agree and Shelton (healthy) is a great one to do that.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,876
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic