Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Speaking o' steaks, anyone in here had Peter Luger's?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Speaking o' steaks, anyone in here had Peter Luger's?

Jul 30, 2012, 1:39 PM

Yep, they use the broiler method, and butter the #### out of it, but I watched a special on the place and the quality of the meat they were using and their 50 foot long dry aging locker basically made me think it was something I had to eat, right there, at that very minute.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does dry aging impart some sort of better flavor over

Jul 30, 2012, 1:42 PM

fresh meat?

Srs question.

Why is "aged" steak better than fresh?

It's less about flavor, and more about enzymes breaking down

Jul 30, 2012, 1:44 PM

connective tissue to create an incredibly tender steak, akin to the texture of butter. Since it takes between 14 and 21 days to properly dry-age, and because there's an inherent risk of contamination (and expensive lawsuits), fewer places are doing it. I've seen some methods for dry-aging in your own fridge, but most of the experts seem to frown on it--far too easy for an amateur to screw it up and give yourself food poisoning.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So esentially you're allowing it to start rotting.***

Jul 30, 2012, 1:45 PM

no, if you get that far the steak's jumped the shark and

Jul 30, 2012, 1:46 PM

is garbage.

No. Rotting indicates contamination. Dry-aging is just the

Jul 30, 2012, 1:49 PM [ in reply to So esentially you're allowing it to start rotting.*** ]

effects of enzymes that are already in the meat, not bacteria from another source.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK. Makes sense.***

Jul 30, 2012, 1:50 PM

a couple prime reasons for it.

Jul 30, 2012, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Does dry aging impart some sort of better flavor over ]

water moisture has little or no flavor. The dry aging removes a lot of the water from the beef, leaving a steak with nuthin' but natural flavor.

Connective tissue gets broken down---super tender beef.

It's a pain in the #### to dry age a steak, and you have to start with reeeeealy high quality beef to make it worth a place's while to do so. I still can't find a place in Charlotte that even sells dry aged beef to an averge joe like me.

I think the Capital Grill on Tryon does***********

Jul 30, 2012, 5:02 PM

LED/FHG has been there a number of times, if I recall.

Jul 30, 2012, 1:42 PM

The thick-cut bacon they serve as a side gave me a legitimate boner.

What was rilly interesting to me was that they called

Jul 30, 2012, 2:00 PM

BS on the "let the steak rest after cooking" truism that I always accepted as gospel.

They take the porterhouse out of the broiler, slice it immediately, and then put it back in the broiler for another minute or so before servicing.

Was this the special about steak places on Travel Channel,

Jul 30, 2012, 2:07 PM

I think it was?

Destination America methinks. They host was a big

Jul 30, 2012, 2:09 PM

gay Guy Fieri wannabe.

Are you suggesting that not buttering my steak is why

Jul 30, 2012, 1:43 PM

i don't like steaks I cook all that much?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you gotta stop buying your steaks at Sam's Club.***

Jul 30, 2012, 2:13 PM

Re: Speaking o' steaks, anyone in here had Peter Luger's?

Jul 30, 2012, 1:43 PM

Yep, they use the broiler method, and butter the #### out of it, but I watched a special on the place and the quality of the meat they were using and their 50 foot long dry aging locker basically made me think it was something I had to eat, right there, at that very minute.

Been there...as good as advertised...fantastic steak.***

Jul 30, 2012, 2:12 PM

I've eaten there. We ate lunch there one day

Jul 30, 2012, 4:20 PM

and it was delivery time at the restaurant. They had about a dozen men walking back and forth through the restaurant with giant slabs of nice looking steaks stacked 10-12 high.

I really wasn't impressed with their steaks though. Ours came to the table charred to a crisp on the outside and chewy red rare on the inside. Maybe they got a little lazy cooking our steaks, or maybe we went there at a bad time. But they obviously seared the hell out of the steaks (too much too fast) but failed to cook them enough on low heat. The cuts were excellent though, but it was a shame how haphazardly they were prepared.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic