Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I would like states to cast their electoral votes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 450

I would like states to cast their electoral votes

Apr 8, 2019, 2:11 PM

in proportion to how the vote broke down within the state. That makes the most sense to me. It'd be closer to the same result as a national popular vote, but still not the same. There'd still be a buffer, essentially an equivalent buffer that exists in Congress, with each state getting 2 senators.

But it would make each individual's vote more impactful, obviously.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or, in a sort of compromise...

Apr 8, 2019, 2:16 PM

Have a certain number of votes dedicated to the winner in the state, and the rest of the votes cast in proportion.

Let's use Washington as an example since the math is easy. They have 12 electoral votes. Let's say they dedicated 2 electoral votes to the winner, no matter what. In the state, Trump gets 50%, Clinton 40%, and Gary Johnson 10%.

In this scenario, Trump would get 7 electoral votes, Clinton 4, and Johnson 1.

You'd just have to set some ground rules for rounding, maybe always leaning toward the candidate with the most votes.

I'm not familiar with the details to the electoral voting.

Apr 8, 2019, 4:19 PM

It's my guess that anything which isn't reflective of the majority voters' of a particular state might be viewed to confound the Founding Fathers' reason for setting the EC up. It seems any shenanigans would be unconstitutional if it doesn't reflect a particular state's popular vote.

We've all heard the stories of people trying to get EC voters to vote for the candidate that lost their state's popular vote but I don't recall ever seeing it happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The method I propose would

Apr 8, 2019, 5:20 PM

more represent the result of the state's popular vote, than the "winner-take-all" setup.

What we have now has served America for several generations.

Apr 8, 2019, 8:10 PM

There's no reason to change it unless there's something you don't like about it now. I'm happy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it favors a two-party dominance

Apr 8, 2019, 8:18 PM

that I do not like.

Wonder how that would pan out tho

Apr 9, 2019, 8:54 AM

Didn't Trump win like 90% of the counties in the country? It would probably always be a landslide Republican win. LA and NYC are the only things keeping the democrats afloat

On the contrary, the electoral college is the only thing

Apr 9, 2019, 9:21 AM

keeping the Republicans afloat.

Democrats have won the popular vote in 6 of the last 7 presidential elections, the only exception being W's second term.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish states would all declare autonomy from

Apr 9, 2019, 10:05 AM

the federal government and establish a loose confederation based on mutual interests in case an emergency requires a pooling of resources.

Now that we are established, I think it would work much better this time.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 450
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic