Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think Dabo would kiss the AP if he could
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

I think Dabo would kiss the AP if he could

Oct 20, 2019, 5:31 PM

You wanna motivate a team? Talk smack about them.

Clemson keeps on winning. And the sportswriters keep on dumping. I personally love it; the biggest problem Clemson's got going right now is boredom, and having people tell you how great you are, paradoxically, is the last thing any coach wants...what Nick Saban calls "rat poison".

You will not hear Dabo complain. The sportswriters and talking heads are doing his job for him!

They keep feeding the Tide the rat poison, though, which has got to be giving Saban indigestion. Even though it was hard to not notice that they weren't much better than goshawful Tennessee without Tua. And Tennessee is flat-out wretched right now. But Bama's got a mediocre run game and a mediocre defense...hidden by a passing attack (with Tua) that can break scoreboards.

Which begs the question - when on Earth did Alabama morph into a Big 12 team? But they have company - LSU has joined the Big 12 right along with the Tide. The AP wants to rank those squads ahead of us, fine and dandy...but neither runs the ball well, and neither has anything resembling a championship defense this year.

Neither does Oklahoma...for all the talk their defense is "improved" - and it is - they still do not have a Top-25 offense; their D ranks 28th in the country, well below Clemson's, and their early schedule was leavened with some of the nation's worst offenses, like West Virginia (120th overall), Kansas (85th overall), Houston (79th overall), UCLA (70th overall), along with D1-FCS South Dakota.

Plus, is Jalen Hurts really an elite QB? There's no doubt he's a good QB and an even better competitor and athlete, but I can't help suspecting that Lincoln Reilly is scheming him better than he actually is.

Ohio State is the only team that stands with Clemson as having both an elite offense (5th overall) and elite defense (2nd)...the Bucknuts have certainly looked formidable, but for all the talk about Clemson's weak schedule the Hurtin' Buckaroos have also played far worse competition and they have the same problem endemic to most offenses that run that Urban Meyer spread - it's run-heavy, features a running QB, and it's questionable if they can beat you through the air if they can't run - their passing game is just 66th nationally and Justin Fields, while he fits that system perfectly, still reminds me a whole lot more of JT Barrett than Deshaun Watson.

Urban Meyer's offenses were very much like Rich Rod's offenses - they absolutely steamrolled people when they could run on them. When they couldn't, they usually looked like a sparrow hitting a screen door. Ryan Day still very much runs that system. And I am...distinctly curious to see how Justin Fields, who often showed a mercurial disposition and questionable decision-making at Georgia, will fare in the face of Venables' exotic blitzes. I think we may well find out. Something tells me - not well. They've kept things very sweet for Fields there thus far because Day and his staff are perfectly well aware there are more than a few things Fields cannot do.

FWIW. But the only thing the sportswriters and talking heads are doing right now is helping us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think Dabo would kiss the AP if he could

Oct 20, 2019, 5:36 PM

Might agree but thats just to ### long

Re: Might agree but too long to read

Oct 20, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quozzel, I think you found an AP voter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

If it's too long, skip reading it.

Oct 21, 2019, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: I think Dabo would kiss the AP if he could ]

I for one enjoy Quozzel's terrific insight and would like to see lots more of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

too and no it isn’t.***

Oct 21, 2019, 10:10 PM [ in reply to Re: I think Dabo would kiss the AP if he could ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Oct 20, 2019, 5:42 PM

Exceptional as always. I was hoping to enjoy a Sunday read from you!!!

Kudos for your use of mercurial btw.

Go Tigers!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.

Oct 20, 2019, 5:48 PM

What all the haters are ignoring is that our defense is quietly having a monster season, OSU hasn’t played anyone and that, in spite of our offense not living up to impossible expectations, we look to be the most complete team out of all the top contenders.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes.

Oct 21, 2019, 9:57 PM

And that is the kind of FB that Dabo demands, he believes in playing both sides of the ball equally as good, and that is why he has won as many games as he's won, he brings a complete team to play on Saturday's!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quozzel, I could read your’s and Joe21’s posts all Day! Always so succinct. Thanks for the read!

Oct 20, 2019, 5:54 PM

Good read, great points. CFP committee worthy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2019, 5:56 PM

Solid post!

Oct 20, 2019, 6:01 PM

Its not like there is "one" AP person. A change happens because a few people, here and there, make a change. They could decide they are a bit more concerned with Trevor and his interceptions. . . and they drop Clemson a few spots. It's not unreasonable. Stop looking at everything through Orange glasses. People who are not involved with Clemson, not fans, probably like other teams, see the stats and feel concerned. That is reasonable. If anyone here says they are not concerned they are an idiot. You have to be concerned. It hasn't hurt us yet, but it has to stop, can't play top notch teams and do that. So a few writers drop us a few spots and overall we drop a spot. It's simple match.

Riding the ROY bus...

Oct 20, 2019, 6:12 PM

...again. Thank, AP poll for the motivation.

Thanks as always for the fantastic insight!***

Oct 20, 2019, 6:15 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2019, 9:14 PM

I agree

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Look-out-everybody-1940473

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Oct 21, 2019, 6:59 AM

Another classic! Thanks for posting, Q!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2019, 10:55 AM

I seriously doubt that Coach Swinney pays heed to the AP post. Why should he? It is totally meaningless!

There is only one poll that determines the team seedlings and it is weeks away.

I think that the Tigers perform at a higher level when they are ranked below one and I hope that they are not number one until after “the game”. Then we celebrate. .... again.

Your Post

Oct 21, 2019, 10:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

Oct 21, 2019, 1:28 PM

I agree with you on the Fields analysis. I can't wait to see what he's able to do when we have Simmons spying him the whole game with random blitzes. To me, he looks an awful lot like Lamar Jackson. Extremely talented running the ball, but it'll be interesting to see if he can win a game with his arm.

I still think Wisconsin gives them everything they want this weekend. If not, they'll cruise to the playoff, when I expect them to hit that Brent Venables wall.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good stuff... hadn't thought about the RR/Urban thang, but

Oct 21, 2019, 6:39 PM

you're right. Question: have you also been a bit surprised by the success of the QB transfers like Fields & Hurts? We all knew they were good, but I didn't think they'd hit the ground running like they have...

Also, I'd kinda forgotten about Jacob Eason until the OR/Wash game. I wonder if Jawjuh folks ever wonder if they ended up with the right guy? Especially if Eason & Fields continue to do well. Fromm is only ranked 24th in Total QBR. (TL is 13th and supposedly stinking up the joint. LOL)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Oct 21, 2019, 10:00 PM

Welcome back to talking Football on T-Net quozzel, another good read!!!

Hey quozzel

Oct 21, 2019, 10:06 PM

Great write up as always. Just wondering, when are we going to get some recruiting posts from you? I always enjoyed them but havent seen any from you in a while unless i missed them. Tia

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic