Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think Bryant is a national championship caliber talent
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

I think Bryant is a national championship caliber talent

Apr 16, 2018, 12:38 PM

In a different offensive system. I think if you put him on a power run team like Alabama i think he is a NC type talent. Bryant is clearly better than Jalen Hurts and he would pretty much be unstoppable on a run-first team with top level talent on the offensive line. I think his issue with our offensive scheme is that we do not have 5* talent across the offensive line so we rely more heavily on using the passing game to open up the run game and being able to make pre and post snap reads which seems to be his weakness. He is an excellent horizontal passer which would be perfect for a team that has dudes built for that scheme. Last year we went out of character on offense and tried that scheme and it worked pretty dang good up until we got to a team whose coach is arguably the greatest of all time at the power run game. If we ever want to get over the Alabama hump again we need to go back to vertical passing game and I don't know how you can make an argument for Bryant over Brice/Lawrence/Johnson at this point for a QB to bring us back to our bread and butter offense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think Bryant is a national championship caliber talent

Apr 16, 2018, 12:53 PM

"he is an excellent horizontal passer"

Apr 16, 2018, 12:56 PM

He is in the top 25th percentile for passes under 9 yards. Bottom 25th for passes beyond that. Pretty telling stat IMO.

Here's deshaun watson for comparison, he made more 20+ yard

Apr 16, 2018, 1:00 PM

completions just on the left third of the field than KB made entirely 20+ yards

It's telling that he attempted less than 60 passes

Apr 16, 2018, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: I think Bryant is a national championship caliber talent ]

in the middle of the field in a 14 game season. Think it speaks of a lack of a quality pass catching tight end, and likely a lack of confidence from the coaches in him to put the ball over the middle.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: It's telling that he attempted less than 60 passes

Apr 16, 2018, 2:17 PM

The second graphic shows that DW4 only attempted 69 in a 15 game season, so it's apparently not the tight end thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was one of the NCAA leaders in completion %

Apr 16, 2018, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: I think Bryant is a national championship caliber talent ]

So he's a really good passer inside 15 yards.

Re: He was one of the NCAA leaders in completion %

Apr 16, 2018, 1:07 PM

I don't care what the stats say....he was good for an airmail on a screen pass once a quarter. He stared down and routinely missed wide open receivers down field.

Apr 16, 2018, 1:14 PM

this is what horizontal passing means. Throwing sideline to sideline

this^^^***

Apr 16, 2018, 1:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Apr 16, 2018, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Re: He was one of the NCAA leaders in completion % ]

Jhop, I rarely agree with you on basketball things, but I have to agree with you here. If it wasn't an airmail it was a lollipop throw that gave the receiver little time to make a play because the defenders were able to already be on the ball when it was caught.

DW4 was criticized for arm strength at the combine, which was weird because his screen passes were always on a rope.

Apr 16, 2018, 2:33 PM [ in reply to He was one of the NCAA leaders in completion % ]

or we had better receivers than most teams.

You make good points about an offensive scheme........

Apr 16, 2018, 12:59 PM

like Alabama since they don't rely on downfield passing as the key to their success. But KB is limited in our scheme and should be replaced as some point early in the season. O

One thing I don't see happening again is Dabo making a mistake like he did with CS and DW. Of course, some of that is hindsight now but you could clearly see that DW was the better QB and should have played as much as he was able to his freshman year (outside of his injury).

What most people discount about he DW/CS situation

Apr 16, 2018, 1:36 PM

was body maturity. DW was rail thin we he got here and i'm thinking Dabo didn't want him to get hurt in his first game ever. Now he ended up hurt later in the season but him playing cole had alot to do with experience mixed with is he ready to take a big hit against some headhunters yet. And not having a ton of experience in the system induces mistakes/confusion that puts you in situations where you get plowed by a 350lbs D lineman. Think he didn't want to set him up for that type of thing. Little did we know that DW shrugs off injuries like its nothing. But DABO didn't know that yet.

Will we ever get over CS and DW battle? We seem to be

Apr 16, 2018, 2:56 PM [ in reply to You make good points about an offensive scheme........ ]

stuck on things that have absolutely nothing to do with the present or future. Bowden, Shyatt, ADs, etc. They moved on but not us.

You make good points about an offensive scheme........

Apr 16, 2018, 1:00 PM

like Alabama since they don't rely on downfield passing as the key to their success. But KB is limited in our scheme and should be replaced at some point early in the season.

One thing I don't see happening again is Dabo making a mistake like he did with CS and DW. Of course, some of that is hindsight now but you could clearly see that DW was the better QB and should have played as much as he was able to his freshman year (outside of his injury).

Apr 16, 2018, 1:44 PM

Dude can’t hit a screen pass, if that’s not horizontal passing I don’t know what is. TL’s passes get there twice as fast and with more accuracy. You could tell that from the first pass Saturday

Apr 16, 2018, 2:28 PM

TL’s horizontal passes were in front of those coming out of the backfield so they never had to stop & turn. Also, his deep passes were over the shoulders of the receivers so they never had to break stride. Last year, our receivers had to pull up for every single deep pass & the screens were overthrown way too many times. It was refreshing to see good consisten passes Saturday. We should have less ulcers at the end of this season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic