Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What WILL happen at the QB position next year (IMHO)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

What WILL happen at the QB position next year (IMHO)

Jan 9, 2018, 2:27 PM

I believe the staff will look at our performance over the last three years and make a concerted effort to ensure that we have a better passing game. You can't win against great defenses without the ability to stretch the field and, at the same time, have a good running game.

Our running game is set with a very good O-line and at least two very good backs.

Our receivers are second to none.

Jury is still out on the tight end position, but I like our options when everyone is healthy

Our defense once again has the chance to be great.

Kicking game is set at punter and FG will be better with new arrivals and better health.

To improve the passing game, you don't necessarily have to bench Bryant. I would suggest that if he can improve as much this year as he did last year, he may be our best option, and a great one at that.

Hunter will improve as well and he'll get his shot to impress.

Like everyone else, I would love to see Trevor come in as advertised, start for three years, break all of Watson's records and lead us to the Championship three times.

Barring injury, Bryant will start the first game. I truly believe that the staff will play the best player(s) so the situation may not be settled until later in the season.

I guess what I'm saying is that our three options (Bryant - took us to the playoffs and early season Heisman candidate; Hunter - 5 star with one year of experience and rated higher than Tua; Trevor - all world with sick skills and upside) sets us up for great success going forward.

Congrats Tigers on a great season and looking forward to 2018 kickoff.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What WILL happen at the QB position next year (IMHO)

Jan 9, 2018, 2:29 PM

I just can't fathom squandering another year of talent at QB and WR. Justyn Ross is probably thinking about that right now. If KB can't improve his reads then we need to give HJ/TL/CB a legitimate and fair shot unlike this season.

I agree

Jan 9, 2018, 2:32 PM

My point about Kelly is that IF he does improve and IF he is better than our two 5 stars, we'll be in great shape, but the passing game has to improve one way or the other.

I think 2017 and 2018 are different

Jan 9, 2018, 2:47 PM

2017 was an inexperienced Veteran with inexperienced newbies. Bryant won the job as the best available option who had the best knowledge of the playbook. TL reminds me a lot of DW; not from a skill set/prototype standpoint but from being ready as soon as he walks on to campus. No doubt HJ is talented but I see TL as far ahead of him from Day 1 on campus. I fully expect a year much like 2014 where Lawrence plays a bit in the first few games much like Watson then takes the position in game 4 or 5. That said, Bryant improved wildly from 2016 to 2017 so one could expect him to be that much better in 2018. I think its a Bryant/Lawrence competition with Lawrence ultimately being too good to sit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think 2017 and 2018 are different

Jan 9, 2018, 2:51 PM

The only reason DW got playing time early is because Stoudt was struggling. I don't see KB struggling to win games next season. Our run game will just run over everyone in the ACC again. The coaches have to make the switch based on principle, and that principle is that you need an elite passer to win in the playoffs. If they think that there is a better passer than KB on the roster then they NEED to make the switch, if not we're looking at another decent season with an ACC champ but a disappointment in the playoffs.

Re: I think 2017 and 2018 are different

Jan 9, 2018, 3:46 PM

Um no. DW was guaranteed playing time in the first game of the year, at Georgia. He was scheduled to play every 3 or 4 series regardless of how good stoudt was playing. This also went into games 2 and 3 until DW took over. It had nothing to do with stoudt struggling.

Wrong

Jan 9, 2018, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I think 2017 and 2018 are different ]

DW played in game #1 against UGA. We win the FSU game if he stays in the whole game. Dabo was trying to pacify the upperclassmen when the newcomer was far superior.... Nothing to do with Stoudt struggling.

Although, Stoudt did a masterful job at GT of filling in for an injured Watson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

umm wut?

Jan 9, 2018, 6:37 PM

I think I’m missing the sarcasm on that one. Stoudt threw the worst throwback screen for a pick six against GT I’ve ever seen. Got read like a book. That game was a disaster.

Looks like you caught the sarcasm perfectly!!***

Jan 9, 2018, 9:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People have a crazy understanding of what Deshaun was

Jan 9, 2018, 8:36 PM [ in reply to I think 2017 and 2018 are different ]

Watson came to Clemson around 180 pounds. He came from an offense where he was asked to run far more than throw. He broke his collarbone in a practice because he wasn’t physically ready for college football. Even with the coaches sheltering him he couldn’t withstand a full season’s beating.

I’m sorry but let’s not blame Dabo because Deshaun wasn’t physically ready to start a man’s game. Might we have beat Georgia in Athens with Deshaun? Yeah sure. However, it’s probably just as likely that Ramik Wilson, Leonard Floyd, or Jordan Jenkins could’ve seriously injured him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree

Jan 9, 2018, 3:54 PM [ in reply to I agree ]

KB will never be a championship level quarterback - he can win us some games but not the big one

Re: I agree

Jan 9, 2018, 6:09 PM [ in reply to I agree ]

If Bryant beats out two 5*and a 4* should he have been rated as a 6*? Or, was the rating system broken when the two 5*s were given to our QBs?

Jan 10, 2018, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: What WILL happen at the QB position next year (IMHO) ]

> I just can't fathom squandering another year of
> talent at QB and WR. Justyn Ross is probably thinking
> about that right now. If KB can't improve his reads
> then we need to give HJ/TL/CB a legitimate and fair
> shot unlike this season.

I think KB has had ample opportunity to take the QB position to new heights. At this point, I firmly believe he has peaked and we have already experienced his maxmimum potential. Great player, but seems to lack something that is desperately needed. Moved us along this season. But its time to pass the torch. I'm no coach...but based on the observations/information at hand, thats all I can go on. Would like to see some of our highly talented back ups getting more playtime.

Jan 9, 2018, 2:44 PM

I think the situation is similar in many ways to when Deshaun came in, but also very different. Similar in that Trevor is supremely talented and has the opportunity to be one of the greatest to ever do it at Clemson. Trevor also played 4 years of QB in high school running an offense very similar to that of Clemson's. Trevors situation is different in a few ways too. One, Kelly Bryant is better than Stoudt. Two, We are coming off a great season..Kelly lead us to the play offs. And Three, We have another 5 star that has been here a year fighting for playing time too.

We are in great shape at the QB position. I honestly have no idea how it will shake out.. but I'll give it a shot anyway..

Kelly will start the season opener and Trevor will have solidified himself as the #2 and capable of being #1 guy. We will win games with Kelly at QB, just as we did this past season, but Trevor will continue to WOW at practice and when he gets a chance in games. Trevor will start by game 4 and we go on to win the national championship and go undefeated. :):)

I am so grateful for what Kelly did for us this season. He played well and led us to a playoff birth and a ACC championship. I just think Trevor is a better QB and will have no trouble grasping the system. We have the best receivers in the NCAA and our best chance to win another national championship is with a guy like Tlaw at quarterback.....

My 2 cents

Jan 9, 2018, 2:48 PM

I think a switch only happens a few different ways:

1) KB loses the starting spot in the spring/fall and a new QB starts our first game
2) KB starts our first game, and continues to start until he gets hurt. HJ/TL/CB get an opportunity and show out (similar situation Georgia had this season)
3) KB turns in a losing performance and the coaches decide its time to try someone new

I think scenarios 1/2 are the most likely to occur. I don't think KB will lose a game next season if he is the starter, but with that said that doesn't mean he is the best option at QB.

Jan 9, 2018, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Re: What WILL happen at the QB position next year (IMHO) ]

What about Chase Brice?? Wasn’t he also highly ranked and redshirted this year. No one has mentioned him

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jan 9, 2018, 2:54 PM

You don't even know if KB will start next year.

The notion that he will improve is based on all kinds of false positives. Everyone can get better but if you don't start, then it's sorta like HJ last year.

Posters like you love to start theses self fulfilling fantasy narratives.

It must be hard to be as dense and contrary as you appear

Jan 9, 2018, 3:36 PM

When I said KB will start the first game, I literally meant that he would start the first series of the first game. I then went on to point out that we would play the best man. If we have a player that beats out KB for the starting job before the first game without KB getting hurt, we are in great shape and I'll rejoice being incorrect

I said IF he can improve .... I won't try to enlighten you on the meaning of if as it would be a waste of time

"Posters like you" - Are you being racist?

"self fulfilling fantasy narrative" - I disagree with you statement, but for kicks and giggles, if it is self fulfilling, it has therefore come to pass so it is now true and factual, not fantasy.

On a side note: You seem to be a butthurtdouchewally. Your rebuttal makes me fairly certain your team is not Clemson or Alabama

Re: It must be hard to be as dense and contrary as you appear

Jan 9, 2018, 3:45 PM

What does race have to do with this you fool?

Re: It must be hard to be as dense and contrary as you appear

Jan 10, 2018, 9:22 AM

It was an attempt at humor using a play on words similar to "people like you" since your response was ridiculous and without merit "you fool".

Sorry if:

A) It wasn't funny
B) It went over your head
C) All of the above

Jan 9, 2018, 3:39 PM

I expect they will rip the bandaid off @ QB before game 1

They do not like making midseason changes - this change has to be made

Get someone ready to play week 1.

KB had a great year

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chase Brice says hello***

Jan 9, 2018, 6:31 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And goodbye if he ever wants to play significant minutes***

Jan 9, 2018, 9:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chase Brice says hello***

Jan 10, 2018, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Chase Brice says hello*** ]

He might say hello, and he might be a talented fearless competitor, but having Lawrence, Johnson & Bryant in front of you on the depth chart is a VERY daunting situation. I think he and Cooper should be thinking hard about transferring. If Israel gets healthy, he can be that 4th guy "in case of emergency".

Jan 9, 2018, 9:33 PM

KB gets lost in the dust first week of springball by TL,CB and/or HJ. One will shine or two. KB will left behind. He can not effectively read the defenses. He is a very good athlete but does not have the stuff to run this offense. Made very simple for him and was fine against most good teams.

Dabo has to do what is best for the team. Must get it done this year! All the cards in play for a championship run this year and can not let anything keep it from happening! Not getting to playoff would be a setback for CU and Dabo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully they also realize that pass protection is ok key

Jan 9, 2018, 11:14 PM

to a good passing game.

Politely disagree concerning your "best receivers anywhere" statement

Jan 10, 2018, 9:28 AM

IMHO our current receivers are not near as good as Nuk, Sammy or Williams. Will they be..maybe & hopefully!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic