Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo: Right person, right place, right time
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,287

Dabo: Right person, right place, right time

Sep 26, 2019, 1:18 PM

Think of the odds of the Dabo hire turning out like it did. Either TDP is the luckiest guy in the world, the best evaluator of talent, or some combination of the two.

Knowing what you know now, is there any other coach who could have taken over THIS program, at THAT time, and achieved what Dabo has in about exactly 11 seasons?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely not, the Right person, right place, right time

Sep 26, 2019, 1:25 PM

as you said and it sure feels sweet now doesn't it! Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not much room for better. All the room's on the downside!***

Sep 26, 2019, 1:26 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The best is yet to come.***

Sep 26, 2019, 3:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I often imagine if we'd have just hired Gary Patterson...

Sep 26, 2019, 1:29 PM

We would probably have 4 natties instead of 2 right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo: Right person, right place, right time

Sep 26, 2019, 1:32 PM

There were several things in Dabo's head coaching career that almost kept him from having a chance to get where he has.

If the players chose to ignore Dabo's requests to make a change in the culture in '08 then he likely never gets past the interim tag.

If Spiller doesn't return for a senior season, then Dabo likely has a down year in '09 and '10 and never sees '11.

If TDP wasn't on such solid ground and comfortable with the safety of his job after '10 he may not have had to nerve to stick with Dabo.

If Venables didn't agree to what was technically a lateral move, then we would likely not have seen the heights we have seen.

All that to say that I'm not sure Dabo could even make this thing work in the exact same scenario if he had it to do over again.

It is truly a special story. I can comfortably say that nobody else would have done it. Not because I think Dabo is the best head coach in the country (which he is), but because I think his specific personality and work ethic played a major role in the above situations going the only way they could have gone to get us where we are now.

I tell my kids all of the time, regrets are a waste of time

Sep 26, 2019, 1:55 PM

Sure, there are decisions and actions that I have taken during my lifetime that I have questioned looking back, but all of those decisions and all of those events have led me to where I am today, and I am truly blessed in so many ways. To change even one seemingly minor detail would be to risk everything that came after it.

When you think about the three coaches that came between Ford and Swinney, they all played a role, whether it was a cultural shift, a new tradition, a facility upgrade, an assistant coach hired and retained, a player recruited by one coach who blossomed under another, or just getting out of the way at the time that they did, they were a part of it.

That is where I think SCAR keeps getting it wrong. They are going for the home run hire, instead of finding the right guy for their specific situation. I do believe that there is a "right guy" for them.

When my son told me midway through his second semester in engineering at Clemson, "Dad, I don't want to be an engineer", I told him "Fine. It may cost you a semester or two, but life is too short to choose a major or career that you don't want. Just promise me that you will invest your time and energy into identifying and moving TOWARD what you DO want, instead of finding out by trial and error what you DON'T want." He is now a nursing major, still at Clemson, and earned a 4.0 last semester. He will graduate in December 2020, a semester ahead of the rest of his classmates.

Anything is possible ("It's only unthinkable if you don't think it"); it just takes vision, an open mind, commitment and perseverance. Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's Pretty Simple....

Sep 26, 2019, 2:33 PM

God had a plan for Dabo . He gave Dabo success,with that success Dabo is able to reach young men and steer them toward God's path if they so desire.

Dabo has said many times God steered him to Clemson .

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,287
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic