Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
USA - soaring to the top!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 541

USA - soaring to the top!

Mar 20, 2020, 7:21 PM

https://twitter.com/justinwolfers/status/1241102311071645699?s=21

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because we can't even stay inside a day.***

Mar 20, 2020, 7:22 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Critical thinking on Twitter

Mar 20, 2020, 7:27 PM

That’s why they set the count for every country

Mar 20, 2020, 7:35 PM

to begin after the first 100 identified cases not the same date - critical reading on Twitter

X axis is a different date for each country but same number of days after 100th case

Re: That’s why they set the count for every country

Mar 20, 2020, 7:43 PM

We ramped up ...They had already tested...Think about it.***

Mar 20, 2020, 10:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You libs aren’t too good with math and graphs

Mar 20, 2020, 10:31 PM

You libs aren’t too good with math and graphs

Mar 20, 2020, 10:31 PM [ in reply to We ramped up ...They had already tested...Think about it.*** ]

Re: You libs aren’t too good with math and graphs

Mar 20, 2020, 10:46 PM

Except, you know, scientists tend to skew liberal and are pretty good at math I hear.

Re: You libs aren’t too good with math and graphs

Mar 20, 2020, 11:11 PM

Is "libs" short for Libertarian...? I need clarification.

Mar 20, 2020, 11:16 PM [ in reply to You libs aren’t too good with math and graphs ]

See my post below... It's from the military guys....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s Twitter, but these are solid sources

Mar 21, 2020, 12:22 AM [ in reply to You libs aren’t too good with math and graphs ]

Tweet: a University of Michigan Econ professor

Data: Johns Hopkins University

Graph: Financial Times data and stats analyst

For what it’s worth, seems likely they know how to extrapolate data. It should be somewhat more troubling to everyone that we are where we are without having done so much testing.

IDC whose tweet it was

Mar 21, 2020, 12:44 AM

Re: IDC whose tweet it was

Mar 21, 2020, 1:05 AM

Log scale, the number of cases is all that matters

Mar 21, 2020, 10:01 AM

It is interesting that your author used the same click-bait headline! I wonder why.

Since the y axis is reported on a log scale, even with more testing, the story is actually going to be similar to the current trend line.

A more important point is that as we get more test results in, our cumulative numbers are going to be much, much higher than China at its peak.

You just can’t admit defeat can you

Mar 21, 2020, 11:20 AM

sorry to have to do this weird flex on you, I'm bored

Mar 21, 2020, 11:57 AM

it is actually quite sad that so many people are stuck in linear arithmetic mindset when what is happening is playing out in log.

So let's try stretching our intellectual muscles a bit, shall we?

Q: What do you think would happen on this chart if we had done more tests, would the line be lower, or higher than the rest of the reporting countries?

A: If we did more tests, we would obviously have higher number of cases to report on the y-axis!!! Number of cases cannot somehow magically go lower because we do more tests!!!! Unless you are somehow defying some quantum constant of space-time.

I do agree with you on one thing: China's numbers are probably bs.

But a more interesting nation is South Korea. They have done three times the number of tests (316,000) as the USA (103,900), yet report nearly half (8,600) the cases compared to us (14,250). Clearly they were able to mitigate the spread more effectively because they could more easily isolate the positive cases, which is why their curve is flattening.

The chart in question perfectly illustrates why government competence from the outset matters. South Korea knew the score and acted while we ignored the issue altogether and are now paying the price.

Re: sorry to have to do this weird flex on you, I'm bored

Mar 21, 2020, 12:55 PM

Is that how they disguise the fact that we ended travel...

Mar 20, 2020, 8:24 PM [ in reply to That’s why they set the count for every country ]

from China in Jan the rest of the civilized world lagged behind a month?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: USA - soaring to the top!

Mar 20, 2020, 7:40 PM

talk to me about death rates, especially those without preexisting conditions and those under 60 for us in the US.

Thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Imo, the most accurate stat is the death rate.

Mar 20, 2020, 9:15 PM

The world rate right now is 4% while the US death rate is 1.4%. The goal is to survive.

Putting a bullet in the head of the sick to prevent the spread of the disease is way too simple and easy if your only goal is to lower the infection rate.

I do not appreciate or respect any graph that includes stats based on what the Communist Government of China reports, with or without the WHO's approval.

Chuck Fina.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

America! #### yeah!***

Because we are one of the populated countries tha

Have a large no of itnl travelers.....

After a hot start off the line with 20% of our deaths...

Mar 20, 2020, 8:22 PM

coming from one highly contaminated nursing home and few test in a nation of 350 million people our mortality rate dropped from somewhere around 10% to 1.4%,

As our testing progresses it's likely we will show higher number than China is reporting toward the end of this flu. BTW, I know China is lying because no truth has come from China since the virus infected a city of 7 mil with 3-4 mil visitors there celebrating the Chinese New Year during the exact time China's plague was spreading like wildfire.

I dismiss the graph because it is about as worthy of respect as USuCK losing by 5 TDs and boasting about their stat sheet showing them with 500 yrs in that game.

China has 1.3 billion people. US has 330 million people

Mar 20, 2020, 9:32 PM

Italy has.....wait for it....60 million.

Those things kinda make a difference. A little but. Maybe. Possibly.

Italy has around 5% of the population of China, and they have over half as many cases.

If you care to project out Italy to the US go right ahead. It's terrifying.

PS. Most of the numbers are BS anyway.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: China has 1.3 billion people. US has 330 million people

Mar 20, 2020, 11:30 PM

Tiggity® said:

Italy has.....wait for it....60 million.

Those things kinda make a difference. A little but. Maybe. Possibly.

Italy has around 5% of the population of China, and they have over half as many cases.

If you care to project out Italy to the US go right ahead. It's terrifying.

PS. Most of the numbers are BS anyway.

Italy has now surpassed China in the number of Covid-19 deaths. That is horrible

They reported 627 deaths in the last 24 hours. The mortality rate in China was 4% (3,253/81,250), in Italy 8.6% (4,032/47,000) the common flu is 0.1%. Italy's death rate is staggering. They've shut the whole country down but reported 6000 new cases. Unbelievable.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/italy-surpasses-china-in-coronavirus-death-toll-1/

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/20/italys-coronavirus-death-toll-surpasses-chinas/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/italys-virus-death-toll-on-the-cusp-of-overtaking-chinas-11584626731

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: China has 1.3 billion people. US has 330 million people

Mar 21, 2020, 10:37 AM

Does anyone really believe the numbers that China reported?

you can't compare absolute numbers you have to compare

Mar 20, 2020, 9:40 PM

rates

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

800-to-1 according to the Admiral yesterday... His comments

Mar 20, 2020, 10:38 PM

have since been erased from the public record. Apparently, they didn't fit the narrative.

Re: USA - soaring to the top!

Mar 20, 2020, 11:16 PM

This is pretty astonishing. This isn't a race I want to win.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I swear some of you guys sound like you’re rooting for the virus.***

Mar 21, 2020, 9:43 AM

null

Replies: 30
| visibility 541
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic