Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those who are concerned about us wasting money on basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

For those who are concerned about us wasting money on basketball

Feb 21, 2020, 12:10 PM

Have you also considered the fact that we are paying Wyoming $1.1 million NOT to play them next year in football? We also lose a home game and all of the revenue associated with it. I’m sure this is not an insignificant amount of money.

I don’t claim to know how the money works out. Maybe we are being paid a lot to play this game in Charlotte. Maybe we don’t care since it’s a high profile game against Georgia. There is no doubt that it will be a fun game. I’m glad we are playing them. But if we are truly concerned about spending money wisely, this situation with Wyoming and Georgia is certainly something to consider, yes?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: For those who are concerned about us wasting money on basketball

Feb 21, 2020, 12:14 PM

Will we make more for playing Georgia?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope so. GWPTiger believes we will, so I hope he’s right.***

Feb 21, 2020, 12:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Feb 21, 2020, 12:16 PM

Well if we weren't wasting money on basketball we could have gotten rid of UConn too!

;)

Just a guess, we will probably net $1M - $2M on that

Feb 21, 2020, 12:20 PM

game after you back out the home revenues and the money we are paying Wyoming.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Good to hear. Thanks.***

To be clear though I am only referring to football

Feb 21, 2020, 12:30 PM

revenues. That doesn't take into account local economic multipliers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: To be clear though I am only referring to football

Feb 21, 2020, 4:25 PM

Georgia is paying either 1.3 or 1.8 to play us in Charlotte instead of their cupcake.
And then there's the fact our schedule for 2021 is weaker than usual. It could pay off numerous benefits by making this happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If that's the case, why aren't we canning a shitbag

Feb 21, 2020, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Just a guess, we will probably net $1M - $2M on that ]

opponent at home and playing a decent team in Charlotte every year?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't answer that since I'm not the AD, but I would

Feb 21, 2020, 2:05 PM

guess it has to do with those economic multipliers. Taking away a home game every year is taking away a lot of money from local businesses. Doing it on a rare occasion like we're doing in 2021 is one thing. Doing it every year would be a gut punch to a local economy that relies heavily on Clemson football home games.

I sure would hate to gut punch all the people who line up to

Feb 21, 2020, 4:26 PM

gouge us 7 times a year in favor of better football

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just a guess, we will probably net $1M - $2M on that

Feb 21, 2020, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Just a guess, we will probably net $1M - $2M on that ]

Coots getting paid $5 million to play in Charlotte against NC state I think. Coots AD, Ray Tanner said they would make more playing in Charlotte than they would have playing at home. I suspect we will be paid at least $6M. Subtract $1.1m to Wyoming we net around $5M before expenses.

Sounds like a great deal for us then!***

Feb 21, 2020, 4:32 PM

Feb 21, 2020, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Just a guess, we will probably net $1M - $2M on that ]

Yes and losing the home game revenue for not playing Wyoming is approximately 4 to 5 million in football revenue. IMO Clemson(football program) will come out on the positive side financially,garner HUGE national attention and improve our strength of schedule immensely.
The 2021 schedule had USUC as our toughest out of conference game. A great decision by the suits. Sorry that the local economy gets a kick in the butt.??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2020, 5:01 PM

I agree local businesses get shafted by playing in charlotte but its a sacrifice that we all make from time to time.

Feb 22, 2020, 12:34 AM [ in reply to Just a guess, we will probably net $1M - $2M on that ]

Clemson is only paying $1.1 vs Uga $1.8 to take a neutral sight game. The neutral site purchase with primetime tv slot, bigger money and then the recruiting and SOS prestige. Definitely not losing money. Could be huge benefits on the recruiting trail especially UGA!

Feb 22, 2020, 12:34 AM [ in reply to Just a guess, we will probably net $1M - $2M on that ]

Clemson is only paying $1.1 vs Uga $1.8 to take a neutral sight game. The neutral site purchase with primetime tv slot, bigger money and then the recruiting and SOS prestige. Definitely not losing money. Could be huge benefits on the recruiting trail especially UGA!

The net out of the swap will depend on how much Clemson will get for the allotment of tickets for BofA stadium. Additionally, what does each team get for creating a high profile national tv game? My guess Clemson AD will make more revenue than it cost for the buyout of essentially a low profile exhibition contest. The loser is the Clemson community businesses with the loss of that home game revenue. I suspect those folks are not too happy about this, unless they have contracts with Clemson for the provided services during that game weekend that must be compensated.

Excellent point about Clemson businesses being impacted.

Feb 21, 2020, 12:24 PM

I’m sure our AD doesn’t take these decisions lightly.

Feb 21, 2020, 12:25 PM

I would gladly not play Clemson next year for far less than that. Just my way of helping out

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ha ha!***

Feb 21, 2020, 12:26 PM

my guess is our AD wouldnt have agreed to this if #s didnt

Feb 21, 2020, 12:31 PM

workout. Do you really think DR would have agreed to a deal to lose a home game and take a financial loss. It will probably be a breakeven or 2-3 million dollar gain. I read somewhere that we bring in $4-$5 million for a home game and would probably be looking at $6-$7 million for this type of game.

this doesnt take into account any local economy impacts

Feb 21, 2020, 12:40 PM

but is that really the AD problem. Of course, the AD and CU cares about the local businesses and wants to help support them anyway possible, but at the end of the day they have to meet the AD needs first both financially and Strength of schedule wise.

No, I don't think DRad would do that.

Feb 21, 2020, 3:28 PM [ in reply to my guess is our AD wouldnt have agreed to this if #s didnt ]

I'm referring more to those who seem to be concerned about us wasting money on basketball. I didn't know if they are also concerned with us possibly wasting money with regard to football as well, or if it only applies to basketball.

My assumption is that they are wanting to see Clemson make sound financial decisions across the board for all sports. If so, I am curious to know how they view this situation.

Again, I don't claim to know the details. I just know that $1.1 million is a lot of money to pay a team not to play them. I also know how profitable home games are for our football program, and thus our athletic department. The money we make fro one of these "cupcake" home games pays for a lot of non-revenue generating sports each year.

No.

Feb 21, 2020, 12:32 PM

The money for the program will likely be a net gain, plus the national exposure that Clemson University will garner during the entire off-season leading up to and through that Week 1 kickoff game vs UGA in 2021 is more than our basketball program can generate over several full seasons. Perhaps basketball fans should simply be thankful for how Dabo and Company are running that program and do more to emulate that success rather than take shots at it.

And from the steadily declining attendance numbers in basketball over the past decade it appears many are opting not to waste money there on their own.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No.

Feb 21, 2020, 12:41 PM

I bet Mr knickerbocker, the Esso Club, Judge Keller’s and a lot of others will feel the effects of this move! As for me, I love it. One hour drive compared with three plus,

Re: No.

Feb 21, 2020, 12:56 PM

No doubt the loss of a 7th Saturday will impact the local economy but at least all businesses concerned have plenty of time to factor this in and budget around. Plus think of all the bonus softball games we have now for incremental boosts during the spring.

With basketball, this season we are almost 3,000 per game under where we were 10 years ago (6,590 vs 9,465). Over time those are significant negative financial impacts for local businesses.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you really think softball games are adding much to the

Feb 21, 2020, 3:32 PM

local Clemson economy?

Maybe the first few games will, since softball is new and people want to check it out. But I have a hard time imagining there will be a lot of direct economic impact for the Clemson community as a result of home softball games.

wait, so basketball fans do come out if...

Feb 21, 2020, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Re: No. ]

you know the rest.

Maybe you misunderstood. This isn't a basketball post.

Feb 21, 2020, 3:30 PM [ in reply to No. ]

It's a football post, posted in the football forum on purpose.

I only mentioned basketball because I have seen posts accusing our AD of wasting money on basketball. Those who are concerned should also be asking questions about this football arrangement, yes? We are talking about paying Wyoming over $1 million to break the contract, as well as money lost not having a home game and instead playing a neutral site game.

As I stated, I don't claim to know the numbers in terms of how much we make during a home game, or how much we might be getting paid to participate in this neutral site game against Georgia.

Re: Maybe you misunderstood. This isn't a basketball post.

Feb 21, 2020, 4:55 PM

No misunderstanding. A 'football' post referencing basketball and premised around fans frustration with finances in that sport based on the last decade of results, whereby you link funding and finances with both by questioning decisions made in football.

Concerning softball (not a softball post btw), it will absolutely have impact. How much is hard to say. Judge Keller's now has softball merch to sell, plus visiting teams in for weekend series, plus a few hundred extra Clemson fans in town on a regular basis throughout the spring. All of this adds up. Does it equal the impact of 45,000 less fans that will visit The John in 2019-20 that did in 2009-2010? Of course not, but that's a different post for a different board for a different day I guess.

Go Tigers.

well said.***

Feb 21, 2020, 8:11 PM

Feb 22, 2020, 7:53 AM [ in reply to Maybe you misunderstood. This isn't a basketball post. ]

If you think for a moment anyone is saying basketball is less important than softball please just hang it up. No one thinks that

Feb 22, 2020, 7:53 AM [ in reply to Maybe you misunderstood. This isn't a basketball post. ]

If you think for a moment anyone is saying basketball is less important than softball please just hang it up. No one thinks that

Feb 21, 2020, 12:40 PM

Not to mention BRad would have beaten Georgia and then just turn around and lost to Wyoming

Feb 21, 2020, 1:11 PM

Wyoming is probably better than UGA in basketball.....

We could very well lose that game to Georgia next year.

Feb 21, 2020, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: For those who are concerned about us wasting money on basketball ]

How would you feel about playing them then?

That would really make scheduling this game a losing proposition.

Feb 21, 2020, 1:47 PM

As you know, Clemson makes a lot of money off of basketball. Th TV money and NCAA money we receive from the conference puts a lot of money in the coffers.

I'm not worried about us losing money on basketball

Feb 21, 2020, 3:35 PM

I'm more concerned with some of our fans acting like penny pinchers when it comes to basketball, but not caring when it comes to football.

Re: I'm not worried about us losing money on basketball

Feb 21, 2020, 4:02 PM

Not to mention all the money the football program will make for TV rights to this game. It wouldn't surprise me if this could turn out to be the highest payout of the regular season. Plus we will get to add another tombstone to the graveyard.

I like it!***

Feb 21, 2020, 4:34 PM

Re: I'm not worried about us losing money on basketball

Feb 21, 2020, 5:23 PM [ in reply to I'm not worried about us losing money on basketball ]

SOME OF YOU GOOBERS WOULD COMPLAIN ABOUT THE RAIN COMING DOWN, OR THE WIND BLOWING TOO HARD OR THE GRASS GROWING TOO FAST. GEEZ, LET THE A.D. WORRY ABOUT HOW BAD BRAD SUCKS. PERIOD.

You are talking about a minority of fans so small

Feb 22, 2020, 6:52 AM [ in reply to I'm not worried about us losing money on basketball ]

as to not even bother with

Have you considered emailing the AD?

Feb 21, 2020, 4:39 PM

That seems like a logical place to start. Let us know what you find out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Feb 21, 2020, 5:37 PM

Wow. You failed big time on this one, Judge K.***

Feb 21, 2020, 7:59 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sir/Madam

Feb 21, 2020, 8:07 PM

Football makes CONSIDERABLY more money than all the other sports combined. Not even close. We can afford to pay some money to get a home and home with UGA. The lure of the game and adding it to the home schedule is enough alone, but bringing UGA to Death Valley, instead of some middling or below opponent, will allow for increased ticket sales and prices. Probably make up the $1M right there.

How much do you think we made ?

Feb 21, 2020, 8:24 PM

Playing Colgate, Presbyterian , Detroit Mercy and Alabama A&M. And Yale . And Jacksonville

Sorry, long question

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the schedule change was needed

Feb 22, 2020, 12:23 AM

regardless of the net $. 2019 Clemson was bashed for SOS even after going 13-0 and winning the Conference. We can't depend on F$U or any other ACC Team (or USCe) to make up for not playing ND or above average 2nd SEC opponent (like Auburn and A&M). Even if 2021 UGA is not as good as expected; they are a Sports Media favorite and will be well ranked before and after the game.

Re: I think the schedule change was needed

Feb 22, 2020, 12:51 AM

Can’t believe this is even debated. Leave it up to JK to not understand. What we pay to get out of Wyoming and loss of home game doesn’t come close to the value the brand of Clemson sees as an increase in value. Leading up to this game we get free publicity on every airwave possible bc us and UGa field a competitive product.

The free advertising dollars clearly offsets the local economic impact and being plastered on tv will help the local economy sell product.

If the basketball team were competitive and could draw viewership you would get it.

Summary... the ROI on pretty much any dollar on football far exceeds the ROI on basketball dollars. Why we spend 1.whatever million on football bc we make it back. If Brad could put a vision together like Dabo did we would spend the money on basketball too.

Link to anyone expressing concern over wasting money

Feb 22, 2020, 7:00 AM

on basketball? Or was that just an excuse to bring up the fact that we paid Wyoming $1.1M to get out of a football game and didn't spend it on basketball?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

That's like AOC saving tax money by keeping Amazon out

Feb 22, 2020, 8:00 AM

We didn't spend money to get out of the Wyoming game. We took another game that would pay us more and used some of that money to buy out the existing contract.

Playing UGA is a net financial gain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic