Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If FSU, UM, and Clemson bolted ACC could rebound
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

If FSU, UM, and Clemson bolted ACC could rebound

May 16, 2012, 2:45 PM

with Rutgers, UConn and Notre Dame. Notre Dame Football would then become the jewel of the conference and the ACC would have by far the best basketball conference in D1.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If FSU, UM, and Clemson bolted ACC could rebound

May 16, 2012, 2:48 PM

What has ND done lately, and who would they play anymore that meant anything? They would not elevate the conference from a football perspective, and I doubt they would want to share their money with the rest of the crap teams in this conference.

With changes to BCS, ND might need a conference

May 16, 2012, 2:57 PM

ACC with UConn, Cuse, Rutgers, would help them market to alum in the Northeast and be a good legit path to a strong record.

May 16, 2012, 2:49 PM

I'm pretty sure if us, um and fsu leave, even with ND the ACC will be no better than a polished turd.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU was pretty good in Basketball this past year

May 16, 2012, 2:52 PM

just throwing that out there. Even though we spanked them this year.

ACC would be same in football and better in basketball

May 16, 2012, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Re: If FSU, UM, and Clemson bolted ACC could rebound ]

What has FSU and Miami done in recent seasons. And to be honest since 1991, Clemson has been a chronic underachiever.

Re: ACC would be same in football and better in basketball

May 16, 2012, 3:06 PM

The fact is that these contracts don't take basketball into account as much as football. If being one of the best basketball conferences meant anything the Big East would still be intact. I don't think bringing ND into a conference that just lost FSU, Miami, and Clemson, even if it was doable, would help any of the parties mentioned. I would imagine ND would lose money on whatever kind of deal the ACC would be able to garner after losing three of its four football brands.

No way ND comes with that remaining.

They didn't want Big East football for a reason.

ACC would still be stronger than Big East in football and

May 16, 2012, 2:59 PM

landscape has changed in the BCS

Take out Clemson/FSU and GT or VT and you have the BE left

May 16, 2012, 4:44 PM

plus the NC schools.

Sounds on par or worse than the Big East the 1st-12th times ND has turned them down.

ND would never want to join the ACC without FSU and Clemson. The revenue would be nowhere near what they would get in the BiG. The only way ND joins the ACC is if they keep everybody.

ND has already turned down the Big 10 in past and

May 16, 2012, 3:01 PM

have more in common with ACC schools, ND could have a Texas like deal to make it worth while for them.

I suggest we test that theory.

Being the best basketball conference is not worth a whole

lot when compared to football conferences. Football is where the money is currently.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, but it does strenghten the ACC's identity

May 16, 2012, 3:02 PM

while building football with Notre Dame and Va Tech with a hopefully a strong second tier of Georgia Tech, NC State, UVA, and Pitt.

I saw somewhere that the UNC-Kentucky basketball game

May 16, 2012, 3:11 PM

last Dec went head-to-head with one of the lower tier bowl games and got hammered in the ratings.

People just don't pay attention to college basketball nearly as much as football. It won't strengthen the ACCs identity if no one is watching.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But it doesn't strengthen the ACC's pocketbook....

May 16, 2012, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Agreed, but it does strenghten the ACC's identity ]

at least not the the extent necessary for the members to compete equally with other programs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

How could they rebound with that? How would they get a TV

May 16, 2012, 2:59 PM

contract for FB? BB cant be what you hang your hat on. Just ask the BigEast. And ND wouldnt join. If UConn and Rutgers left for the ACC and the BigEast dissolved, ND would go BigTen.

Re: I suggest we test that theory.

May 16, 2012, 3:05 PM

I second that.

College basketball will never be able to compete financially

May 16, 2012, 3:07 PM

with college football no matter how badly Swofford wishes it could and as a result, the ACC will always be at a financial disadvantage to other more football riented leagues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

"Rebound" being the key word there because all they would

May 16, 2012, 3:16 PM

be doing in that conference is bouncing a ball around.

Rebounding with Rutgers, Uconn, and Notre Dame is kind

May 16, 2012, 4:27 PM

...of like getting dumped by Jennifer Aniston then hooking up with Rosie O'Dodnell and thinking you're OK. Notre Dame hasn't been a legit football power in over 10 yrs. Rutgers and Uconn are 2cnd, or 3rd tier football schools. If this were to happen the ACC's already tarnished football image would tumble to Conference USA levels.

Sure, it would be nice basketball conference (but, if you're a Tiger fan ...so what). Not sure what Rutgers brings athletically; they traditionally stink at everything. About 13 people in the Northeast care about college football, so the TV market ain't gonna help either.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2012, 9:17 PM

No way ND joins the ACC then. Face it once the first domino falls either us or Florida State leaving the ACC will die a slow painful death.

Basically Clemson and FSU hold the ACC's entire future in their hands.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Squeeze men, squeeze till it hurts.***

May 17, 2012, 8:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2012, 9:58 PM

Notre Dame is likely looking elsewhere than the ACC at the moment if they are interested in connecting to a conference. Talks took place last Summer and ND wanted a partial ACC membership, but the commissioner and school reps. said no. ND was told they could only join the ACC on a full membership participation level.

If Clemson, FSU and another member leave the ACC for the Big 12 then I would anticipate the Big 12 would then approach ND as another Big 12 eastern division member. The ACC would rebound by likely approaching Louisville, Rutgers, UConn and perhaps Temple as new members. I've seen mention that Louisville is already quietly looking at various options for either conference as they are rightly worried the Big Least isn't going to last the coming round of conference expansion.

Go Tigers!

ND couldn't afford the cut in pay.

May 17, 2012, 8:10 AM

I read somewhere they got TV revenues of 15 million for their football and a conference share for their other sports last year.

Do you really think they would throw all in with the ACC knowing that their total TV revenues would be just over 12 million for the next 7 to 9 years?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND couldn't afford the cut in pay.

May 17, 2012, 8:30 AM

After we leave the ACC who cares what happens!

I do.

May 17, 2012, 8:35 AM

I'd like to see the ACC fold. Somebody is going down in the coming years if the four team playoff is instituted without expanding to a 8 or 16 team setup.

I'd like for it to be the ACC. I want Dook and the Holes to be in the big east and see swafford get bitchslapped by BE officials who don't give a chit what the color of your jersey is.

May 17, 2012, 9:17 AM

We can talk Big 12, which is a good conference. However the member schools are not geographically to our benefit. I 'll be the first to admit that the ACC is lacking, but we don't need to jump ship for just the first alternative. We can fuss about the coots and their bragging about the SEC. The truth is that that conference offers exactly the type of football all Clemson fans want to see. The SEC offers school from neighboring states that have real footbal programs. The matchups with SEC opponents would offer much more excitment and interest from everyone, just as the Auburn game has the past few years. If we were in the SEC almost every week would be an Auburn atmosphere. I am not certain of what has to happen to get Clemson in. If we are going to be a national football power that is where we need to be. So the powers to be must face that and deciced if we are going to the next level. If we are then start the campaign to get in.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic