Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coaching kids.....my morning rant!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,312

Coaching kids.....my morning rant!

Jul 28, 2013, 10:40 AM

Looking back on 20+ years of coaching kids (quite successfully I add) and given that I am currently living in a hotel I can honestly say I was appalled this weekend at the behavior and attitudes of a couple of kids baseball teams that stayed at my current hotel. I don't even mean just the kids but it included the players families and coaches! I am proud to say that when I coached, if the kids were told to do something (i.e. Get Out of the Pool) it was done immediately and for the most part without question. They knew that we would leave each and every place we were better and cleaner than it was when we got there. Parents were told very clearly at the start of each and every season exactly what our expectations were of not only the players but of the parents as well. I can honestly say that each and every parent understood what we promised to do to teach their kids and that they were really a pretty inconsequential part of any trip and they knew they had better not be arguing with hotel staff when the kids were scolded for obnoxious behavior such as noise, leaving a mess behind, etc. Our players knew to respect authority or that there would be a penalty to pay which included loss of playing time up to and including being sent home from any particular location. NOT this bunch. The kids ignored everyone in authority up to and including their parents and the parents defended them while they were doing it. Parents argued against hotel policies not meeting their schedules with complete disrespect. Overall it was really a pretty ###### ugly statement on today's youth, their parents, and society in general. End of RANT.

It worries me and I guess makes me pretty darn OLD!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats why Im getting clipped!!!***

Jul 28, 2013, 10:43 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The "ME" generation

Jul 28, 2013, 11:13 AM

That's what happens when you listen to doctor Spock and quit giving kids ### whippings.

Parents ground children yet let them keep their phones, xboxes and computers..... Kids laugh at that...... With those devices they still have their social network. Which in effect is NO punishment whatsoever ...... Oh I could go on and on

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

A$$ whipping has got nothing to do with it. I have never touched my kids

Jul 28, 2013, 12:17 PM

And they are well behaved, often complimented on their manners. Model and expect good behavior no beatings required.

It's a sense of entitlement...

Jul 28, 2013, 11:22 AM

that many kids are given from the time they're small. Just because they're good, they're led to believe that they are all that matters. They're told that they "deserve" to be successful and to be financially secure and it leads to many of them ditching their responsibility when a college signs them.

To me, that just sounds like an ugly statement on parents

Jul 28, 2013, 11:35 AM

It's not the kids' fault that they weren't taught discipline or respect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: To me, that just sounds like an ugly statement on parents

Jul 28, 2013, 12:01 PM

Not at all. Kids, parents and coaches were equally to blame.

I started seeing this behavior years ago in adults.

Jul 28, 2013, 11:54 AM

As a home builder I encounter adults everyday that apparently were never told NO you can't have that as a kid growing up. They recoil in disbelief when nothing is given to them just because they ask for it. They have now procreated and we suffer for it.

Good rant; saw a lot of that when my son played

Jul 28, 2013, 12:55 PM

My boy Al played Little League baseball for 7 years and it amazed me that some of the parents never wanted to stay for any of the practices, a great way to spend time with your kid and show them you care about them and what they do. Then they'd be at the games barking at the umps and opposing coaches and even disagreeing with our coaches sometimes. One mom went to the dugout after the last game one season loudly and angrily telling the coach she didn't like him yelling at her kid and calling him out for mistakes all season and that they were switching teams or towns.

Now I have to work with some of this Entitlement generation who've had cable and internet all their lives and expect instant gratification. They want more money, but don't want to work hard and do things better than halfass; and even when they're shown how to do things right, they don't do it. It's frustrating.

On the flip side, I saw some really great kids in little league that tried hard and wanted to learn and be a part of a team; and their were a lot of supportive and concerned parents who cared about their kids and wanted to be with them and help them. It was truly amazing sometimes when kids were determined and made progress and to see their faces and their families when they got hits or made catches; it almost brought tears to your eyes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You said it

Jul 28, 2013, 1:10 PM

Entitlement generation, lack of manners, and respect. Kids will basically tell you how good they are(whether they are or not), then tell you what you should be doing as a coach.

Re: Coaching kids.....my morning rant! I dont recall being

Jul 28, 2013, 2:58 PM

told what to do in a team situation as much as being told what would happen if I ever caused a problem there or at school. As I result I never had to experience the aftermath of not obeying in a team situation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,312
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic