Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
its really annoying to hear liberal senators complain about
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

its really annoying to hear liberal senators complain about

Oct 26, 2020, 11:45 AM

judicial activism they expect to come about with the confirmation of Justice Barrett.

Let there be no mistake. Judicial activism was invented by the left during the Warren Court. Conservatives were told time and again that "elections have consequences."

Well, to quote Lindsey, its time for Conservatives to use the liberals "words against" them. You people brought the era of the activist Court with the Warren Court. As you have sown, so shall you reap, my liberal friends.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ah yes, the "you started it" defense. Compelling.***

Oct 26, 2020, 11:50 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lube up because all your precious unwritten "rights"

Oct 26, 2020, 11:52 AM

which were invented out of whole cloth in the last 60 years are going to be erased.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean the Heller decision? Or Citizens United?***

Oct 26, 2020, 12:15 PM

Heller should be required reading for anyone

Oct 26, 2020, 1:39 PM

who wants to understand how textualism is supposed to work.

Textualism works by twisting the obvious meaning of

Oct 26, 2020, 1:59 PM

words and phrases in the Constitution to achieve a cynical, conservative result. The rationale for the Heller decision is preposterous and it's a textbook example of judicial activism.

Textualism doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Oct 26, 2020, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Heller should be required reading for anyone ]

It completely ignores the fact the constitution was written by multiple authors and thinks the 9th amendment was just for funsies. The beautiful part of it is everything that wasn't specifically written to be legal also isn't specifically written to be illegal. Thus you can use the same textualism to come down on whichever side of an argument you want.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Isn't that the court packing defense?***

Oct 26, 2020, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Ah yes, the "you started it" defense. Compelling.*** ]

It's the defense of a lot of indefensible things.

Oct 26, 2020, 12:04 PM

I just find it funny how often the party of personal responsibility takes no responsibility for their own hypocrisy. It's almost as if they have no integrity.

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty

Oct 26, 2020, 12:05 PM

is no vice!

Cool bumper sticker.***

Oct 26, 2020, 12:13 PM

Re: I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty

Oct 26, 2020, 12:59 PM [ in reply to I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty ]

Alex,

WOW quoting the unhinged Barry Goldwater.

The election results will be similar.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sense many penumbras and emanations

Oct 26, 2020, 1:40 PM

wafting from your general direction ;)

Sounded Good in '64

Oct 26, 2020, 2:31 PM [ in reply to I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty ]

Got Barry 6 states

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since the Warren court, Republicans have appointed 21

Oct 26, 2020, 11:53 AM

SC justices. Democrats: 4.

What a bunch of liberal activists.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I said nothing about Republican vs Democrat

Oct 26, 2020, 12:01 PM

try to keep up

The public's political reaction to Republicans packing The

Oct 26, 2020, 11:58 AM

Court will be swift and strong.

Republicans will reap what they have sown.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the polls show majority support Justice Barrett

Oct 26, 2020, 12:02 PM

also, no way the Democrats will have the votes for Court Packing. Several Democrat senators have already distanced themselves from that idea

Like electing Donald Trump, packing The Court with right

Oct 26, 2020, 12:07 PM

wing extremist and tilting the balance so dramatically against the will of the people will be to the GOP like pissing in your pants to keep your ### warm.

This is going to be an albatross around Republican necks for years to come.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree. the only downside I see is the Evangelicals may

Oct 26, 2020, 12:10 PM

decide "mission accomplished" and stay home.

You're in for a rude awakening.

Oct 26, 2020, 12:12 PM

You are in denial and it's going to be ugly.

Re: the polls show majority support Justice Barrett

Oct 26, 2020, 12:15 PM [ in reply to the polls show majority support Justice Barrett ]

...and we'll see how long that lasts when the Court kills ObamaCare and reverses Roe v. Wade in the first few weeks of Barrett's tenure, along with whatever else lands.

Ordinarily I actually prefer strict-constructionists, and I do actually personally like Barrett. (I've stated as such on a couple of prior posts.) I'd strongly prefer a court to stay center-right because slow, steady, cautious, and conservative is generally the way to go when you're talking about setting legal precedents. But a 5-4 court with Roberts acting as a swing vote is center-right. A 6-3 court with no swing vote...that's potentially a problem.

IMHO, a lopsided court will start passing judgements that are out of sync with public sentiment...and that in turn blows up the court's ability to function as a neutral arbiter. How can it, if the majority of people do not agree with its judgments?

That'll get the court packed really quick...with the overwhelming support of the public. Which in turn invites reprisals...McConnell worked really hard for what are likely to be highly transitory gains on this one.

you really think that's going to happen?

Oct 26, 2020, 12:28 PM

Obamacare and Roe v Wade overturned within a few weeks of her getting in? I think neither will happen for at all.

The fix for Obamacare is to get a plan to make it better. This lies in the laps of the legislature. Until they can get along or one side gets a control of both houses, nothing is going to happen with that.

I blame both sides for this whole mess.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you really think that's going to happen?

Oct 26, 2020, 12:54 PM

I agree. Let the congress work but with their ideology. We don't have to pass anything just sue in court over things we don't like. Let the courts write our laws.

Ah yes, the "you started it" defense. Compelling.***

Oct 26, 2020, 12:21 PM [ in reply to The public's political reaction to Republicans packing The ]

You either responded to the wrong post or you

Oct 26, 2020, 12:33 PM

had a stroke.

Neither.

Oct 26, 2020, 2:08 PM

It fit your "you did it first!" line of logic.

Thanks Murcielago

No, it wasn't. As usual, it went right over your head.

Oct 26, 2020, 2:56 PM

I was pointing out that the American voter is going to skewer some Republican ### for years to come because you guys are packing the courts with an extremist.

I made no mention of a Democratic Party response to Republican court packing efforts.

Obviously, you were impatient and eager to respond to a post using Murcielago's example, but you came up far short of his efforts.

It is an impossible standard

Oct 26, 2020, 12:52 PM

If you fog a mirror in the process of determining the outcome of any case, you could be called an activist judge.

In DC v Heller, some people claimed Scalia was guilty of filling in the constitutional blanks in that decision, because he essentially interpreted the 2nd Amendment a certain way. That is what Justice Stevens seemed to infer anyway.

Guess it all depends on your perspective.

Re: its really annoying to hear liberal senators complain about

Oct 26, 2020, 12:57 PM

Alex,

I don't think liberals are straight out complaining about judicial activism. We think that the Constitution must be interpreted within the times that we live. America has changed in the last 200+ years

However, we can complain (& do) about conservatives who preach originalism while practicing judicial activism.

Change, the true enemy of the conservative.

Oct 26, 2020, 2:22 PM

Except for pennies, they ####ing love those.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic