Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did Cooper get a fair shot?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Did Cooper get a fair shot?

Jan 19, 2018, 2:34 PM

With the subpar QB play we saw at times last year I think he should have seen more meaningful playing time than he did. No doubt he had the best arm and the lack of a downfield passing game hurt us at times.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, he did. Hth***

Jan 19, 2018, 2:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Even more chances than Tay had to pass a #### test.***

Jan 19, 2018, 2:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you watch the Cuse game?

Jan 19, 2018, 2:38 PM

he looked completely lost when he came in for KB. His throws were bad and he looked slow.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did you watch the Cuse game?

Jan 19, 2018, 2:43 PM

KB looked lost at times as well.

Jan 19, 2018, 5:25 PM

KB had a bad ankle, taking away one of his biggest assets...Cooper on the other hand didn't. You can't compare them in that game.

Jan 19, 2018, 5:30 PM

My point is not to bash KB but he struggled in many games last season. Auburn was one of them.

Jan 19, 2018, 6:39 PM

AU had a helluva defense. Bama struggled and lost to them.

I think it's pretty obvious ZC was not going to see a lot of playing time. He did not seize the opportunities given to him. When Watson came in for Stoudt at UGA, he raised many eyebrows on his throws. It was clear where our program was headed with Watson at the helm. ZC, not so much.

Re: Did Cooper get a fair shot?

Jan 19, 2018, 2:38 PM

He got a whole half against Syracuse and yes his numbers weren't bad until it mattered when we couldn't move it on third down at all and you could tell his knowledge of the playbook seemed limited

Coop had well more than a half of play @ Syracuse in

Jan 19, 2018, 2:40 PM

relief of KB in game 7 and unfortunately wasn't able to provide much production in that loss. I would say that was a pretty fair shot to establish yourself in our QB stable. Unfortunately it didn't pan out.

Wish him the absolute best.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. Definitely****

Jan 19, 2018, 2:40 PM

Yes ...

Jan 19, 2018, 2:41 PM

He got the lions share of the 2nd team snaps behind Kelly Bryant and he was put in a position to lead us to a win at Syracuse, and he was not quite up to the task.

Not sure what else a back-up QB would expect or need to in order to do his thing.

If he can get into a situation at another school where he is the starter and gets all the 1st team reps perhaps he'll come around and be a star.

I thought he got a fair chance at Clemson.

Re: Yes ...

Jan 19, 2018, 2:45 PM

So one half against Syracuse....a game which we lost because our entire team didn’t show up including our top 10 defense.

Jan 19, 2018, 4:52 PM

Yes, sadly ... I think he was given the stage and he failed his audition.

The Bama defense wasn't exactly stoning the Georgia offense when Saban put their freshman QB in the game with one half of play to prove himself ...

Jan 19, 2018, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Yes ... ]

He also played vs Wake Forest...and Johnson had better numbers. He also played against Kent State...and Johnson had better numbers...

Jan 19, 2018, 5:28 PM

So what you’re saying is Johnson should have gotten a shot?

I agree.

Jan 19, 2018, 5:34 PM

Saying they both received a shot....and Johnson eventually overtook. Kent State was the first game of the season...and Johnson outplayed Cooper. Wake Forest was game 6...and still Johnson outperformed him. Game 7, Johnson didn't get a chance, Cooper played and lost the game. There were opportunities for both, and one seemed to majority do better than the other when the opportunities presented themselves.

Jan 19, 2018, 5:38 PM

And that's not taking away from Cooper...just seemed by the chances they received, Hunter did more with it when the lights were on. It's great one of them was an outstanding practice guy...but you aren't getting where they want to be just playing practices. It has to translate on the field, and regretfully with Cooper, it doesn't seem to show it did.

Jan 19, 2018, 6:32 PM

HJ didn’t get put into a situation like ZC did against Syracuse though. I think both should have been given more opportunity. I said many times heading towards the end of the season that we wouldn’t be able to beat a playoff team as one dimensional as we were.

Exactly. Especially with all of the talent we have..

Jan 19, 2018, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Yes ... ]

It would be hard for him or anyone to get more than the shot he had.

All teams have subpar QB play at times. Even us with DW.

Jan 19, 2018, 2:47 PM

ZC and HJ both got fair shots at practice.

Neither got many meaningful reps during games because KB was our best offensive weapon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All teams have subpar QB play at times. Even us with DW.

Jan 19, 2018, 3:03 PM

KB had trouble making the right decision on the read option, locking on a receiver and not going through his progressions, and trying to get outside the pocket instead of stepping up and throwing the ball down field all year long. Luckily our defense played lights out against Auburn or we never would have been in the playoff discussion.

Considering that I don’t think it’s fair to write off Zerrick Cooper over a bad half when he wasn’t getting much help.

Jan 19, 2018, 3:08 PM

The coaches got to see him in practice every day. I'd he was better than KB he would have gotten more playing time. That's how football works

But like we've seen, some guys are just 'gamers'

Jan 19, 2018, 3:10 PM

They look inferior in practice, but under the lights they make plays.

Re: But like we've seen, some guys are just 'gamers'

Jan 19, 2018, 3:23 PM

That is true, but "under the lights" he didn't shine. He would have had a chance to compete for the job again this year but decided to go where there was less competition. I hope he tears it up at J State

Jan 19, 2018, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Re: All teams have subpar QB play at times. Even us with DW. ]

C'mon man, he "didn't have much help" but he's also gotta get a pass in the general area of receivers for them to catch the ball. Not 10 feet over Renfrow or 10 feet short of Ray-Ray.

I do agree that KB had issues with reads on the Read Option, as well as pre-snap reads of the defense to change protections, but to say Cooper didn't get a fair shake is quite ridiculous.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Zerrick Cooper spent ~543 days in the Clemson program...

Jan 19, 2018, 3:13 PM

sans recruiting and had more than enough time to earn opportunities. I wish him all the best.

Jhop's thang is being purposeful obtuse and that's being kind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2018, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: All teams have subpar QB play at times. Even us with DW. ]

I don’t consider one half in a game that nobody showed up a fair shake. The Clemson team we saw that night wasn’t good enough to make a bowl game and to write the guy off because he didn’t come in and save the day is ridiculous.

Jan 19, 2018, 4:59 PM

The Alabama team that showed up in the Georgia game wasn't up to par either.

They were getting killed by Georgia on both sides of the ball.

The game was all but lost when Saban decided to make a QB change.

Their freshman QB came in and seized the moment.

Zerrick Cooper in a similar situation was unable to take advantage.

I think Zerrick can be a successful starter at another program, but I think he got a more than fair shake at Clemson.

absurdity at its finest

Jan 19, 2018, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Re: All teams have subpar QB play at times. Even us with DW. ]

and i don't expect every qb will stay. you have an incumbent who would start on most teams. a phenom coming in - and apparently, 3 other stellar qbs that we could win many games for clemson. you should wish zc well and drop the absurd

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: absurdity at its finest

Jan 19, 2018, 3:25 PM

What does any of that have to do with whether or not Zerrick Cooper got a fair shot last year?

Our QB situation is great. Hopefully we don’t continue to go with a RB under center considering that.

We had two guys riding the pine that had better arms and good running ability last year and neither were given a legitimate shot.

Hopefully Dabo took notes from Saban while he was home watching the Natty.....

Jan 19, 2018, 3:39 PM

Wow so now KB is a running back under center...

SMH I guess since you are no longer attacking basketball so now you have moved onto our Football coaches.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jan 19, 2018, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: absurdity at its finest ]

All the arm "talent" in workd makes not a whit of difference if one is wide,high or in the dirt.

Jan 19, 2018, 3:50 PM

world

Jan 19, 2018, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: absurdity at its finest ]

KB air mailed several balls every single game last year, a lot of them on simple screen passes.

Jan 19, 2018, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Re: All teams have subpar QB play at times. Even us with DW. ]

Hint...you don't lose your 2nd string spot by season end if you are better than the 1st string guy..

Jan 19, 2018, 3:12 PM

Good lord.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jan 19, 2018, 3:27 PM

He got away with $200,000.00 when he jumped out of a 727 in 1971, oops, wrong Cooper, yes.

No, he didn't. It happens sometimes in D1 football.

Jan 19, 2018, 3:47 PM

Cooper was given half of a game in which the team decided not to play up to their potential. He could have been given other chances, but it was hard for our coaches to do, because they were still working with Kelly and tuning his game throughout the season. Getting both Zerrick and Hunter more live meaningful snaps would have been optimal, but i'm not sure that it was possible.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I seem to recall he got ample opportunity at Syracuse and

Jan 19, 2018, 5:08 PM

he did not make the most of it...

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic