Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Venables talks newcomers, Carter to safety and defensive ends
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

New Story: Venables talks newcomers, Carter to safety and defensive ends

Mar 2, 2016, 8:47 PM

Venables talks newcomers, Carter to safety and defensive ends

Brent Venables will have new starters at several positions when the Tigers take the field against Auburn in early September, and this week’s spring practice was the first step at finding out who those starters will be. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is Carter moving to safety a concern?

Mar 2, 2016, 9:12 PM

?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Re: Is Carter moving to safety a concern?

Mar 2, 2016, 9:17 PM

Isn't nickel basically a safety or small linebacker?

Carter is 5'9" 177 lbs and moving to safety?

Mar 3, 2016, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Is Carter moving to safety a concern? ]

Even in the nickel spot that's a concern. I'm just sit back and trust the coaches on this one.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe he can stay in the same time zone of opposing TEs?***

Mar 3, 2016, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Is Carter moving to safety a concern? ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Venables talks newcomers, Carter to safety and defensive ends

Mar 2, 2016, 9:28 PM

Uhhh Coach V must know something we don't. Cuz this kid doesn't have traditional Clemson Safety size.... But I trust his judgement!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2016, 9:59 PM

I agree. Carter must be a hard hitter and tough competitor and very smart. I think that's what Venables sees in him. The nickle is the toughest position to play in my football experience.

Mar 2, 2016, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Venables talks newcomers, Carter to safety and defensive ends ]

I agree... But 5'9" 177lbs though? Prototypical safeties in today's game are 6' - 6'2" and weigh 200-210lbs. Seems like a huge stretch, both in height and size. Running up and hitting a 220lb back in full-stride at 177lbs sounds like a terrible idea. I don't know... I'm not in love with this move. Corner? Sure. But at safety, I'd much rather have a Muse (230lbs), Johnson (205lbs), or Smith (195lbs) back there at the last line of defense.

Mar 2, 2016, 10:32 PM

I think I'll trust Coach V and Reed on this one even though you're not in love with him. Back to back top 10 defenses gives them the slight edge.

Mar 2, 2016, 10:37 PM

Lol. No one is saying they don't trust the coach. But name a safety that's played for either of those top 10 defenses of ours that weighed under 180lbs soaking wet or listed at 5'9" and I'll buy you dinner.

ever hear of Bob Sanders

Mar 2, 2016, 10:58 PM

Went to the same high school as me 40+ years after I did. Same size. Great college safety and impact player with the Colts. Size isn't everything.

Re: ever hear of Bob Sanders

Mar 2, 2016, 11:20 PM

And Eminem is a great rapper. Doesn't mean every white guy should get their demo played on the radio. :)

Re: ever hear of Bob Sanders

Mar 2, 2016, 11:26 PM [ in reply to ever hear of Bob Sanders ]

Jokes aside, Bob Sanders was 206lbs and ran a 4.35 40. Not exactly apples to apples.

I understand the concern

Mar 2, 2016, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Venables talks newcomers, Carter to safety and defensive ends ]

But the coaches see these guys everyday and know what position is best for them. Maybe they are looking at Carter as more of a run support safety than a coverage safety. If there's anything I've learned from Venables's defense, its that he likes to put his safeties in a good position to stop the run. Besides the LB position, I think the run support out of our DBs is what our defense has improved on the most since Venables has been here.

Re: I understand the concern

Mar 2, 2016, 11:46 PM

That's exactly why I said what I said. 177lb run support safety? We used TJ and Jayron as run support safeties. Why? They were big and could stop a Dalvin Cook, Derrick Henry, Prosise, Elijah Hood, etc. in open space. I'm not knocking his talent guys but 5'9" 177lbs is small in today's game. On the other side of the ball, did you see Ray-Ray McCloud getting thrown all over the place on contact? This isn't an easy game for a 175lb athlete anymore. I said I liked him better at CB because you can get away with a smaller frame if you're great in coverage, which he seems to be.

If you remember, Ryan Carter was a 2-star CB coming out of high school and to many was recruited as a 3-way package move to seal up Nkemdiche alongside Gallman. Back in 2012, they were calling his offer a "recruiting strategy". In July 2012, Nkemdiche said he was close to fully committing to Clemson IF they offered his friend Ryan Carter. Ole Miss offered a scholarship to Ryan Carter the day after Nkemdiche committed to Clemson. I know he is fast, he ran a 4.4 in high school, but Nkemdiche absolutely influenced Clemson's decision to recruit him. Let's not be so quick to compare him to the likes of Bob Sanders. Bottom line - it's not easy to play safety in D1 football at 5'9" 177lbs.

Mar 3, 2016, 12:40 AM

Actually carter was offered long after Nkemdiche decommitted to Ole Miss. In fact the staff didn't even accept his NLI until Nkemdiche faxed his into Ole Miss to prove a point.

Here's the recruiting update from his official to clemson late in January of 2013 which states he did not have an offer at the time. http://www.tigernet.com/update/recruiting/Ryan-Carter-visit-weekend-9492 Nkemdiche decomitted in late October or early November.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Mar 3, 2016, 1:05 AM

I took all of what I said directly from two articles I bookmarked back in 2012, both were published in July. Here:

http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-football/clemson-football-recruiting/

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2012/7/6/3141075/clemson-robert-nkemdiche-recruit-ryan-carter-teammate-grayson

Kobe - why can't you just state your argument without the thumbs down? I don't get that. If someone says something outrageous or cootish, thumbs down the #### out of it but TD'ing everything you disagree with on TigerNet is ridiculous man, especially when the other argument is backed with sources and facts. We are all entitled to our own opinions and argument. Read the articles before TD'ing again please. I'd appreciate it.

Mar 3, 2016, 1:35 AM [ in reply to Re: I understand the concern ]

Also, you must have misunderstood what I wrote above about offers. I said that ole miss offered Carter the day after Nkemdiche committed to Clemson. I said nothing about when Clemson offered Carter.

Nkemdiche committed to Clemson on June 14, 2012.

According to Scout, Ole Miss offered Carter on June 19, 2012, although many other articles state the offer came the "day after Nkemdiche committed to Clemson"

[IMG][/IMG]

Mar 3, 2016, 8:33 AM

You are sickening. Just let the coaching staff do their job!

Mar 3, 2016, 8:44 AM

Dude, you have 155 points and a 70 pulse. I think you're the one who's sick.

Coach V isn't asking who is all in, just stating what he's

Mar 2, 2016, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Venables talks newcomers, Carter to safety and defensive ends ]

going to do and we know how that usually works out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmm... The opinion of a yankee (j/k) or the best DC in CFB?

Mar 3, 2016, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Venables talks newcomers, Carter to safety and defensive ends ]

I do agree that it makes no sense on paper, but CBV has proven that he knows what he is doing so I think he has earned the right for us to trust his moves until he is proven wrong. You would be hard pressed for anyone to objective deny that he is the best DC in all of CFB.

Click here to read Gabi's Story

Re: Hmm... The opinion of a yankee (j/k) or the best DC in CFB?

Mar 3, 2016, 8:49 AM

Can I ask when I ever questioned CBV? I love him and all he does. I simply said I liked Carter better at CB than Safety because of his size and height.

Just as you'd be hard-pressed to deny that Venables is the best defensive coach in college football; you'd be just hard-pressed to deny that 5'9" 177lbs is hardly prototypical size and weight for any safety playing D1 football. I'm not sure where all these TDs are coming from or the assumptions that I think CBV is bad at what he does - I'm simply stating an opinion. So far the only short safety I've heard of is Bob Sanders and he played at 206lbs, literally 30lbs heavier than Carter.

Maybe CBV thinks Carter will play the position

Mar 3, 2016, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Venables talks newcomers, Carter to safety and defensive ends ]

as coached and not give up game changing big plays like our big/tall guys from last year. Maybe CBV has decided to stop using our safeties like linebackers. Maybe our bigger guys aren't as good. Maybe he is using this to motivate our other defensive players. Lots of maybes.

Size isn't everything. Especially if he has a head for the game/position.

It's too early in the spring to be second guessing the coaches, IMO.

Re: Maybe CBV thinks Carter will play the position

Mar 3, 2016, 8:52 AM

Out of all your maybes, the second sentence I like best. You're right... Maybe with more depth at linebacker, he uses the safeties in a more traditional role instead of the nickelback or as s run-stopper. Personally, I like this system more because it leaves more guys in the box to stop big plays in the secondary.

How come we don't ever hear much about

Mar 2, 2016, 11:28 PM

Albert Huggins? Either ots tracking him a really long time to get use to college football or he is just getting lost on the depth chart. I really hope he can be the player i thought he would be coming out of highschool because he has a good combination of size and speed

Re: How come we don't ever hear much about

Mar 3, 2016, 8:01 AM

I think we should move him back to DE he should be able to battle atleast for the 3rd spot. We have so much depth on the whole DL. Many can play DT and DE. Huggins Johnson Wilkins

Re: How come we don't ever hear much about

Mar 3, 2016, 8:19 AM

I agree. The last time Clemson had gotten the consensus #1 ranked in South Carolina was in 2008 with Da'Quan Bowers (and Huggins is even bigger!).

They must be working him somewhere though, perhaps it's just not being talked about much. The other week when they uploaded that tug-of-war photo, that was him 2nd in line behind Christian Wilkins and he was full of sweat, giving his all. He also tweeted a video of himself squatting 600lb on February 15th! No way Venables won't find a way to capitalize someone with that frame and strength.

Huggins' pad level was to high & was often blown off line

Mar 3, 2016, 8:46 AM [ in reply to How come we don't ever hear much about ]

when he was in there. He's strong, but he won't play strong until he learns how to get lower. When he figures that out, he'll play. Until then, he'll sit. He's a 2nd semester Frosh right now though. He's got plenty of time to get better. Bowers is not a good comparison IMO. Huggins isn't quite the athlete Bowers was. That's mainly why Bert moved inside.

Mar 2, 2016, 11:31 PM

Plus just because he's moved to safety doesn't mean he will start there the whole game. Like stated coach v might see carter going in during certain situations. There will plenty of depth at safety after our freshman come in too. Carter might not see the field who knows but I trust coach v 100% Go Tigers!!

I see the Carter move

Mar 3, 2016, 9:53 AM

as a way to get K. Wallace into NB rotation with D. O'Daniel

Wallace is more athletic and reminds me a lot of K. Wiggins. With Wiggins also moving to safety you have to believe they like O'Daniel and probably Wallace enough at NB moving forward.

Re: I see the Carter move

Mar 3, 2016, 9:59 AM

Speaking of O'Daniel, did you see him going HAM on the ropes this morning?

https://instagram.com/p/BCfYpXnLJez/

Re: I see the Carter move

Mar 3, 2016, 10:11 AM

that's impressive...I'm ready to finally see more of O'Daniel. He is very technically sound in his tackling and moves well towards the ball carrier (see game against GT)

venables comment on Dexter L. sounds great!!!

Mar 3, 2016, 11:41 AM

awesome adjective-- super champions are always "HUMBLE" You know you winner and everyone else does too so you don't have to boast or brag --- Wayne Gallman has that attitude HUMBLE is CLASS-- Dexter keep that trait your actions will let everyone know how good you are

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic