Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I see Urban coaching one more season after this one.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,453

I see Urban coaching one more season after this one.

Aug 24, 2018, 11:30 AM

When he got out of coaching while at UF it was b/c of his health/heart issues caused by stress. All this coverage coupled with the existing stress of being a coach of a huge program will create so much more issues for him that i don't think he'll be able to handle it anyway. Think you'll start seeing their recruiting slide b/c a lot of coaches will use that angle more and more and i think you may see some losses this year b/c of lack of focus from the team.

The reason i think he'll coach one more after this one is the stubborn, defiant attitude that he has he'll try to stick it to his detractors. But in the end it will be all about health and his decision to retire and live a little. He's got enough money. No need to prove anything else.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I see Urban coaching one more season after this one.

Aug 24, 2018, 11:54 AM

There's a group who thinks he may not even coach this year, and another who thinks he will step away at the end of this season. Leaving all the mess that is out of it, I do believe that he and Drake cannot co-exist and one or the other will be exiting in the next 12 months (unless things do just blow over).

It will be interesting to watch the temperature in South Bend throughout the season...

You mean in Columbus not South Bend right??***

Aug 24, 2018, 12:42 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You mean in Columbus not South Bend right??***

Aug 24, 2018, 12:49 PM

No, I mean South Bend.

Ha, with his medical history he'll have to retire once he

Aug 24, 2018, 1:05 PM

departs Columbus, cough, cough, at least for a month or two! :)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't matter, tOSU sucks anyway

Aug 24, 2018, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: I see Urban coaching one more season after this one. ]

Their campus is a craphole, their wimminz are ugly and their stadium on game days that holds 100,000+ people is so quiet it's like attending a high school JV game.

Urban is a POS, which means he's a perfect match for that "school" and football program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Okay

Aug 24, 2018, 11:56 AM

Should the Tigers pick heads or tails?

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

I see Urban coaching OSU for four more seasons or OSU's next CFP championship

Aug 24, 2018, 12:12 PM

Winning cures all. I don't think you will see OSU slip in recruiting other than Smith leaving being one of their top men in this area - so maybe a slight dip for the 2019 class when they sign but not out of top 10. I'd be shocked if not top 5 again. I believe OSU is probably plug and play with this regard (having top recruiters).

Parents want their kids to play in the NFL and OSU does this better than anybody. All a recruiter has to do is point to their success in getting to the CFP and getting kids to the NFL and they will continue to get theirs.

I don't follow tOSU all that closely but I am not aware of their kids making the top 10 of the arrest trackers, etc . I think this galvanized the team and they will make the CFP playoff again.

Schadenfreude is fun but this is nothing more than a small speed bump for tOSU. Winning is what matters in pro sports.

https://youtu.be/5isHw02S0Cg

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Negative recruiting will take its toll

Aug 24, 2018, 12:31 PM

b/c no kid wants to go to a school where they think the coach is on his way out. They'll end up like FSU (end of Bobby Bowden's tenure) if they wait too long.

And this talking point anint going away

Re: Negative recruiting will take its toll

Aug 24, 2018, 12:53 PM

Why would they think he is going away? And even if he did, one of the position coaches would probably be promoted.

Urban had his hand slapped. This is nothing like the Bobby Bowden end. Bobby had truly lost control or at a minimum no longer had his thumbprint on the team. Bowden's team had been struggling, boosters wanted to start winning again. Urban's team is a perennial CFP participant or pre-season favorite with no signs of slowing down. Boosters are getting a good ROI.

Life and the college football machine rolls on. tOSU will not suffer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason why Bobby's team started slipping though is b/c

Aug 24, 2018, 1:53 PM

recruiting was taking a hit. You really think Bobby forgot how to run a program? They weren't getting the players they used to b/c his competitors were trumpeting the notion that Bobby was old and probably going to retire/leave within the next handful of years. And it was a pretty easy story to push b/c he was in his mid 70's. So that divide got bigger and bigger until they were really mediocre.

Urban has a health issue dating back to his time at UF if you remember. He got out of coaching to avoid the stress of his job and ended up getting back in after about 3/4 years until the OSU vacancy came up. Do you think his stress level will be back to easy street this year? Especially if they don't meet or exceed expectations. Does he really need this in life? Dude has a heart condition that isn't going to improve after all this.

Why do you think Joe Paterno died within months of the scandal at Penn STate? Stress. considering the social climate this story will be front and center all year long and his family will feel the brunt of it and his friends will feel it as well. Doesn't matter if its justified or not. Winning won't cure it like some of ya'll think. If anything winning will fuel the pushback. The OSU fans aren't the ones against him right now..its the media and his competitors that are pushing this to the forefront. You think they're going to be happy if OSU is undefeated and in the playoff?

Re: The reason why Bobby's team started slipping though is b/c

Aug 24, 2018, 2:19 PM

I grew up in Florida a Gator fan and they remain my #2 team. Would have gone there had I decided to stay in state and not attend Clemson. Also have friends who are now decent size boosters with FSU and am aware if all the Bowden fun as well. And yes, I am familiar when Urban walked away. And no, my Florida fandom does not equivicate to being an Urban supporter. No, quite the opposite. There we're rumblings abiut how he ran the program in Gainesville from the get go but as usual - success has a way,of making folks look the other way.

I think all of OSU will rally around him once the season kicks off. I dont think that the scandal will hang over the program. And the national football media has reason to treat Urban and OSU with kid gloves. This is with the assumption that there are no other skeletons which is a BIG assumption to make and I understand that.

If more items arise whether related to domestic abuse or with players behaving badly - then that changes the calculus.

But based on where things stand right now, I see smooth sailing in Columbus. If things go south at Ohio State or they continue to have success, I am indifferent and dispassionate.

You and I can agree to disagree and see how the seasons unfold.

I'm with you, i'm indifferent to OSU as well

Aug 24, 2018, 3:00 PM

its just a gut feeling. WE shall see.

He's got two very formidable opponents that he has to face from this point on; his health issues and the social justice climate that we live in. Two opponents that usually get the best of whoever they're facing. He seems to come across as a very proud/strong individual so i think he'll fight out of duty/loyalty/self respect but there are alot obstacles that await him.

OSU fans are all with him no doubt (he's winning and one of the best ever.) But the honeymoon is over. First sign of a slip like a poor recruiting ranking, or a bad loss, or another administration miscue and you'll start seeing less and less support where before they'd give him a pass.

I think if there is a trigger it will be in recruiting. They've been a top 3 class it seems like every year since he's been there. FAns start seeing recruiting take a hit he'll get run out of there.

Re: I see Urban coaching one more season after this one.

Aug 24, 2018, 12:21 PM

Just think if they would have fired him Unc or Louisville would have found their next head coach. I do think Unc would hire him on the spot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,453
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic