Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: FSU Review
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,339

Mickey Plyler's Blog: FSU Review

Sep 24, 2012, 10:00 AM

FSU Review

FSU Review
We learned a lot about both Clemson and Florida State Saturday in an electric atmosphere in Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee.

We learned that Florida State's offense is much better than we previously thought. The Seminoles have weapons in their backfield with Chris Thomps

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: FSU Review

Sep 24, 2012, 10:08 AM

Last year, the Clemson defense gave up the most points of the season to almost EVERY offense they played. Looks like it will be the same this year.

I said voiced my opinion about Brewer several times,

Sep 24, 2012, 10:33 AM

but his effort on the 70 yd run by Thompson was laughable. There has been some mention of Blanks going back to S but does that mean that Brewer would be the 2nd CB?

I also question using Christian as the DE (in a 2 pt stance) on the 3 down lineman look. I always thought that the reason he barely played last year was because he is more of a coverage guy and not physical enough against the run. Seems that Shuey (bigger/stronger), Townsend or Steward (both more athletic) would have been a better choice. This is especially true since I recall Dabo saying that Townsend is a great pass rusher.

As far as LB play is concerned, has there been one tackle by a backside LB all year? It seems that the "one gap responsibility" mindset of this defense means that they run to their gap even if the play is going away from them.

Finally, who has the flats both in coverage and containment? On one of the QB sweeps, there was no one from hash to the sideline for 15 yards.

stupid typos...***

Sep 24, 2012, 10:34 AM

Re: I said voiced my opinion about Brewer several times,

Sep 24, 2012, 11:09 AM [ in reply to I said voiced my opinion about Brewer several times, ]

Brewer is not very good but honestly, he's about average for what we have.

Using the SAM LB in an Under front is fine with me; he has certain responsibilities in his role, not just rushing. Our DL/DE's were getting gashed so bad BV decided (and I think rightfully so) to put more athletes out there and hope for the best. I agree that other personnel should be used, especially Stewart since he is not redshirting.

LB play has been poor to average all year. they take bad angles, backside LB don't trail the play properly, run themselves out of plays, etc. I was disappointed in Tig's play as he is a senior and we need him to play at a higher level.

Who covers the flats? depends on the what BV calls. WILL covers the boundary side most of the time, SAM or CB can cover the field side but clearly SOMEBODY needs to cover it.

Almost 10 yards per play given up by this defense..... at least WV had a bunch of turnovers to put up huge numbers. Sad, bad defense folks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heres the review...Defense sucked Offense good

Sep 24, 2012, 10:49 AM

Offense played their guts out. With the exception of a stretch of about 3 or 4 drives where Morris seemed to forget we have a guy named Ellington who's a good runner, the offense played as well as can be expected. They performed almost flawlessly. It's a shame that their hard work and effort is wasted because the defense is so terrible they couldnt stop a pop warner team from running the ball down their throats. I hope they are utterly embarrassed.

Clemson turned themselves into one dimensional

Sep 24, 2012, 10:55 AM

While even up 14 points Morris abandoned the run for no reason. He got pass happy and their DL pinned their ears back and were all over tajh. In the first half Morris was excellent at mixing in runs of AE and Sammy. AE wasnt breaking big long runs but he was effective at picking up 3-4 yards per carry. That's more than enough to keep the defense honest. 2nd and 6 is better than 2nd and 10 after an incomplete pass on first.

Re: Clemson turned themselves into one dimensional

Sep 24, 2012, 4:26 PM

Agreed. We gave up running the ball when we were up by 14 for some unknown reason and it cost us. Not as much as the defense sucking so bad but a couple of running first downs and taking more time off the clock in the 3rd and 4th quarters would have helped a lot.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just thought of this...

Sep 24, 2012, 4:56 PM

...did anyone notice if AE was limping or favoring anything? I did not; however, I wonder if maybe he got a little banged up and that's why he wasn't in. I have no idea, but it didn't make sense to me at the time and it still doesn't as to why AE didn't get touches in the 2nd half. I hope it's not the case, but not using him more doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Another option, I guess, is that Morris was hoping for a big play or two in the passing game in the 2nd half to put the game out of reach (I doubt he thought we'd need 60, though)... since he knows our defense is quite possibly the worst in the FBS. Maybe he was hoping we would get lucky. I don't know. I think Ellington should have been getting the ball more, but I always think that.

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: FSU Review

Sep 24, 2012, 11:08 AM

If I were in our OC's shoes, I would shake like a leaf...How do you constantly have to be a perfect playcaller with a D that doesn't give you enough time on the field, can't limit a team from scoring in bunches. I don't blame our DC. He's stuck carrying a knife to a gunfight.

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,339
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic