Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
No matter what! I will never forgive Hatfield for
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

No matter what! I will never forgive Hatfield for

Jan 18, 2017, 7:58 PM

the 1990 UVA game.
Is that wrong?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: No matter what! I will never forgive Hatfield for

Jan 18, 2017, 8:08 PM

I agree. White meat should not have one that game. The streak would have ended, but he had way too much talent to lose that game

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just the UVa game?***

Jan 18, 2017, 8:32 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

yes.***

Jan 19, 2017, 9:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: yes.***

Jan 19, 2017, 9:31 PM

Yes. My son was a student and he said the same thing.
It was BR, guilty culprit.

"Get that camera outa my face" he screamed as the network

Jan 18, 2017, 8:42 PM

attempted to interview him on the field after the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2017, 8:50 PM

horrible hire. Complete bozo of a coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2017, 8:56 PM

I'll admit that I was 2 years old during this game. Can someone tell me what happened?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cant remember what year it was, but UVA beat us 20-7 and it was

Jan 18, 2017, 8:59 PM

our first loss ever to them. I think it was '93? I hate that 20-7, because that's the score the first time I remember losing to the coots by as well! 20-7 in '87, I was 6yrs old

I remember the Hatfield & West years well.

Jan 19, 2017, 12:22 AM

The situation Ken Hatfield walked into here was somewhat reminiscent of Charlie Strong walked into at Texas, only worse - an angry & divided fan base, powerful boosters feeling dissed, & pressure off the charts. In retrospect, he was doomed to fail from the moment he set foot on campus. And yet, he always seem to acquit himself well as an on-the-field coach, at least in my opinion. He had good game plans, was a good decision-maker in close games, & in his last year (1993) he won 8 games with what was at best fair-to-middling talent & virtually no offense.

But that highlights the problem that eventually did him in - he couldn't recruit like Danny Ford. Each succeeding year we could see the talent level dropping, & it was painful to watch. After the 10-2 record in '90, the '91 team went 9-2-1 & won the ACC but got drubbed 37-13 by California in the Citrus Bowl. The '92 team went 5-6 - our first losing season in 16 years - & got beat by USC & Steve Taneyhill. (That team did defeat UVa 29-28 in Charlottesville, to this day the largest comeback in Tiger history.) After that season the heat was truly on for '93, & a home loss to Wake Forest pretty much sealed Hatfield's fate. That loss dropped our record to 4-2, & though we closed out the year 4-1 to finish 8-3, the decision to fire him had already been made. Most of the 8 wins were low-scoring squeakers, while the 3 losses were ugly - 57-0 to Florida State in Tallahassee, 20-16 to Wake, & 24-0 to North Carolina in Chapel Hill. (I was at that UNC game & remember Clemson fans cynically cheering loudly every time we managed a first down!)

I remember how Clemson faced a LOT of criticism & outrage from the national media for firing Coach Hatfield after he'd just gone 8-3, but these media pundits from afar couldn't see what we had been witnessing up close. The talent level had fallen precipitously, fans were angry & disillusioned, boosters were threatening to withhold donations, & attendance at Memorial Stadium was dropping. Tommy West was selected as the new head coach, in spite of what was at the time a pretty thin resume. (He'd logged only one year as a head coach, going 4-7 @ UT-Chattanooga.) But it was thought that with his past connections to Clemson & a gritty persona vaguely reminiscent of Danny Ford he could at least unite the fan base & amp up recruiting. Also we could get him on the relative cheap, which I'm certain entered into the thinking of Bobby Robinson. And frankly, considering what had just transpired with Hatfield, it was unlikely that any big-name or up-&-coming young coach would've even given us 2 seconds of consideration back then.

But if the goals of the West hire were to restore past glory & unite the fans, it didn't work. In fact, attendance continued to decline & didn't really rebound until Tommy Bowden started as head coach for the '99 season. West went 5-6 in his first year '94 & seemed to have things on the right track in '95 as we got back to 8-3, but a 45-0 beatdown to Syracuse in the Gator Bowl (I know - Syracuse!!! - but they had a strong football program back then) basically killed whatever positive momentum we had. The '96 season, while not terrible record-wise (7-5) was wracked with turmoil, attrition & players seemingly unable to keep themselves out of trouble. In '97 we were expecting to contend in the ACC but ended with another 7-5 record, & after a luckless 3-win campaign in '98 West was fired.

For us longtime fans these were painful times for sure, but as another poster already noted, what's past is past & can't be undone. I'm not angry at Ken Hatfield; nor am I angry at Tommy West - both did their best, are men of good character & fine football coaches. (Tommy West is still coaching today on Rick Stockstill's staff at Middle Tennessee.) It's been a long journey, but who among us is unhappy about where we find ourselves right now!

Misspelled Taileyhole.

Jan 19, 2017, 6:40 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your recollection of history is much more accurate

Jan 19, 2017, 8:03 AM [ in reply to I remember the Hatfield & West years well. ]

than that of the goobers still blaming Bobby Robinson for Ford's ousting......Plain common sense would tell one that no AD would willingly want to kill the proverbial goose that laid the golden egg....Yet, because Robinson had to be the one to stand in front of the cameras to deliver the message, misguided folks still insist HE was the one who decided to fire Coach Ford. Lennon and the BOT were in charge and Coach Ford basically challenged their authority....Not a wise endeavor.

The other thing seldom mentioned is Hatfield's rodeo-queen wife who was a real piece of work. She disliked the community (partially because of its distance from the world of barrel racing) and I don't think she ever truly established residency. Some of her comments certainly didn't endear the Hatfield family to Clemson

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Cuse game was 41-0

Jan 19, 2017, 1:37 PM [ in reply to I remember the Hatfield & West years well. ]

I remember cheering when we blocked an extra point, but that time we were already down 41-0 and I was drenched.

Re: I remember the Hatfield & West years well.

Jan 19, 2017, 9:03 PM [ in reply to I remember the Hatfield & West years well. ]

Another nail in Hatfield's coffin was his lack of connection with the fans and what I precieved as a soft persona. His team's in 92 and 93 were soft and predictable and hard to watch. And I attended the home loss to Wake in 93 and there were maybe 40,000 in the stands and 0 enthusiasm. My buds and I all agreed Hatfield's fate was sealed.

I so wanted West to succeed, but he simply could beat FSU and I feel he personally gave up hope of ever winning the conference. Not to mention his offenses were sooo inconsistent.

Jan 18, 2017, 9:01 PM

I won't forgive Tommy for pulling Merriweather SMH

I agree with that. Merriweather had the hot hand.***

Jan 18, 2017, 10:40 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hang that on Bobby Robinson

Jan 18, 2017, 9:03 PM

And his hate for Danny

*****THIS*****

Jan 18, 2017, 9:14 PM

Ford negotiated his leaving Clemson and it was announced during the afternoon. Little Bobby Robinson was introducing Hatfield as the next head coach the very next day at lunchtime (if memory serves me correctly). You don't have a new D1 HC in less than a day unless it was already arranged between Lennon, Robinson, and Hatfield.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was President Lennon, not AD Robinson

Jan 18, 2017, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Hang that on Bobby Robinson ]

. . . who made the decision to oust Danny Ford. Like so many office cowards, Max Lennon simply forced Bobby Robinson to do the dirty work & then face the fan backlash.

The "recruiting violations" that ostensibly were the cause of dismissal were just a convenient pretext. The real reason was the president's pique that Coach Ford went public with his opposition to the decision to build Vickery Hall instead of new athletic dorms - which in Lennon's view was tantamount to insubordination.

Re: It was President Lennon, not AD Robinson

Jan 19, 2017, 9:44 PM

Ford wanted a new athletic dorm. They didn't give it to him. He was too vocal about it. Ticked off his bosses. Got fired.

Less than two years later the NCAA outlawed athletic dorms

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Might be better to ask Rev...

Jan 18, 2017, 9:32 PM

Your's or Tigernet's!

Was a dang painful event though and I feel your pain!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Completely OHH

Jan 18, 2017, 10:14 PM

Over His Head ... bad memories

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ehh, let it go man

Jan 18, 2017, 10:37 PM

History is what it is and can never change. We've moved on and at a completely renewed and wonderful place now.

NEVER #### those white meat ######## !!!!!!

Jan 18, 2017, 10:38 PM

still ####### pisses me off !!!!!!

null

You know they have medication for that...

Jan 18, 2017, 11:29 PM

...don't you..;)

Jan 18, 2017, 10:51 PM

Why does everyone give Hatfield such a hard time? Given, he was a bad coach, but not half as bad as West and no one complains about him.

Jan 19, 2017, 10:40 AM

I recall back in the day hearing that it should have been West's team right after Ford.

UVa in '90 had Shawn Moore @ qb & was ranked #1 for a time.

Jan 18, 2017, 11:03 PM

They were coming off their first ever ACC football championship the year before. No shame in losing to them that year - all streaks are bound to come to an end eventually. Our team that year finished 10-2 & ranked #9 in the final AP poll, & finished #1 nationally in total defense. Our only other loss was 21-19 to eventual national co-champion Georgia Tech.

Re: UVa in '90 had Shawn Moore @ qb & was ranked #1 for a time.

Jan 19, 2017, 10:01 AM

I was at that Virginia game. My first road trip ever. That Virginia team was just better than us. Shawn Moore broke the thumb of his throwing hand with two or three games to go that year. They were undefeated at the time and ended up losing s game or two after that. He was still wearing a partial cast or splint in their bowl game against Tennessee. If that hadn't happened I promise you Virginia would have played for the National Championship. They were that good. We had some personnel issues with our offense that year. There wasn't much Hatfield could do. Every other criticism about Hatfield I agree with. I don't think he really respected Clemson to start with. I think he thought of us as an overated program in a overated conference and him being from the mighty SWC made him better than us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UVa in '90 had Shawn Moore @ qb & was ranked #1 for a time.

Jan 19, 2017, 2:54 PM [ in reply to UVa in '90 had Shawn Moore @ qb & was ranked #1 for a time. ]

They also had Herman Moore at wideout, Terry Kirby at RB, & Chris Slade at DE. Were not at bad team and ranked #1 late in the season til Shawn Moore broke a finger on throwing arm, if I'm not mistaken. Still almost beat Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl. We ended up 10-2 after blasting Illinois 30-0 in Tampa at the old Sombrero .

Jan 19, 2017, 1:10 AM

It was the darn Purple jerseys I couldn't stand, lol I was a freshman when KH became coach. I remember the march to the presidents house...I was in it. In defiance of firing Danny. I'd watched this legend, Danny, since I was a kid....I graduated high school, got into Clemson, and I'll be dammmed if we didn't fire him and get KH. I was devastated but life moves on. KH was a good man that ran out of abilities at this level. He brought back the purple gear which just brings back those weird memories. I still don't like purple gear.

Thanks Alot, I thought I had blocked those %#*&

Jan 19, 2017, 9:57 AM

purple jerseys from my memory.
I just threw up a little in my mouth.
This post was all about that long streak BTW.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Thanks Alot, I thought I had blocked those %#*&

Jan 19, 2017, 10:06 AM

I just filled in the blank of the open subject line... not meant to hijack

Re: Thanks Alot, I thought I had blocked those %#*&

Jan 19, 2017, 1:10 PM

No worries, all smiles here pal.

Jan 19, 2017, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: No matter what! I will never forgive Hatfield for ]

I have the same painful shared memories... I was a freshman that year as well. I remember people camped out on the lawn in front of the President's house in protest..... It was crushing to be a loyal Tiger coming to Clemson home games practically my entire life, only to finally arrive at CU as a student just in time for Danny to get fired.

Jan 19, 2017, 9:38 PM

My son was a senior and he still has painful memories of that year. Still Tiger Fans for life though. That was a bad time but we Tough Tigers Forever!

I'll never forgive Hatfield for wearing the ugliest shirts

Jan 19, 2017, 9:47 PM

in Clemson coaching history.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2017, 12:05 AM

Bumping posts about football.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic