Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Country Gentleman
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Country Gentleman

Aug 15, 2018, 6:57 PM

How many of you remember the Country Gentleman? How many of you don't even know what I'm talking about?

If I remember right, his last appearance was 1972. I don't think he was still around for my freshman year in 1973.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHO? Country Gentleman***

Aug 15, 2018, 6:59 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: WHO? Country Gentleman***

Aug 15, 2018, 7:02 PM

Found him, he's right here!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm talking about the real deal..........

Aug 15, 2018, 7:08 PM

Not a pretender!!!!!

Re: I'm talking about the real deal..........

Aug 15, 2018, 7:15 PM

Remember him well, but I be old. Class of '70.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 7:53 PM [ in reply to I'm talking about the real deal.......... ]

I'm older than you.

null

Aug 15, 2018, 8:35 PM [ in reply to I'm talking about the real deal.......... ]

who says this is not the real deal?? Who knows?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Country Gentleman

Aug 15, 2018, 8:28 PM
IMG_2072.JPG(430.8 K)

Would like to see his return also. But the "PC" (not Clinton SC) crowd would raise hell.

Aug 15, 2018, 8:30 PM

nice segregation photo

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2018, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Country Gentleman ]

Jesus Christ are they lynching the terrapin?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Pretty crazy looking back as Maryland may

Aug 16, 2018, 9:15 AM

have been the only ACC school to have black players in the 60s. I’m sure what they are doing in that photo is harmless but know how it would be perceived today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pretty crazy looking back as Maryland may

Aug 16, 2018, 9:42 AM

Yeah I’m not going to cast too much shade as my school has a racism problem too.

It’s crazy what was acceptable back in the day.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Aug 15, 2018, 8:29 PM

I had one of the straw hats with purple band. Wish Ma had saved that, like she did my Rat Hat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 8:36 PM

I'm familiar with it but wasn't around when the Country Gentleman was a mascot. I was just saying that if we're to get rid of one tradition (balloons), let us bring back another. The Country Gentleman is the best tradition to bring back. Oh, and let's get rid of "woo hoo hoo" in Tiger Rag.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Jim Douglas was the last one.

Aug 15, 2018, 9:29 PM

A great guy.

Lives in Clemson.

Re: Jim Douglas was the last one.

Aug 16, 2018, 8:24 AM

David Vaughan was the last Country Gentleman in 1972. He was Head Cheerleader in 1974 when the Tigers beat Georgia & Georgia Tech back to back. One event in 1972 that contributed to Administration’s decision in getting rid of the mascot was in Atlanta against the Yellow Jackets was prior to kickoff, they attacked the Tiger & David shattered his cane on several Yellow Jackets heads. It got ugly.

Re: Jim Douglas was the last one.

Aug 16, 2018, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Jim Douglas was the last one. ]

David Vaughan was the last Country Gentleman in 1972. He was Head Cheerleader in 1974 when the Tigers beat Georgia & Georgia Tech back to back. One event in 1972 that contributed to Administration’s decision in getting rid of the mascot was in Atlanta against the Yellow Jackets was prior to kickoff, they attacked the Tiger & David shattered his cane on several Yellow Jackets heads. It got ugly.

Aug 15, 2018, 9:31 PM

We were called The Country Gentlemen when I was there 1946-50, but didn’t have him dressed out. Everyone was in uniform except the veterans. The mixed student body presented lots of interesting situations. Like fire hose battles between the cadet barracks and the vet barracks. Early one morning the band was practicing in front of old second barracks which was filled with vets who became upset with having their sleep disturbed. They hauled the fire hoses out and watered down the band which ,I think, fled to Bowman field. We had a Botany professor who had just come from teaching at women’s colleges. He could not understand the rough and tough vets who weren’t long from the battle fields and still wearing their uniforms and combat boots. One day a 6’4’’ paratrooper burped. Prof turned around and said, “ Who did that ?” Total silence. Prof said,” What ‘s the matter, don’t you have guts enough to admit it?” Ole paratrooper unfolded himself out of the desk, stood up and said, “H-ll yes I do,” Prof, “ what’s your name?” Vet, “it don’t make no difference, I’m flunking anyway.” Prof, “ class dismissed”. I could go on with many more interesting stories of those wonderful days.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember, class of '69

Aug 15, 2018, 9:34 PM

Would love to hear from one of the originals.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Embarrasing***

Aug 15, 2018, 9:45 PM

Your Spelling?******

Aug 15, 2018, 9:49 PM

null

Why ?

Aug 15, 2018, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Embarrasing*** ]

Please enlighten us ... whats the problem.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why ?

Aug 16, 2018, 9:16 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Pretty-crazy-looking-back-as-Maryland-may-23863553#23863553

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 11:45 PM

Sounds right. I recall he was taken out and then brought back for a couple of years. In the old days, the Country Gentleman was part cheerleader and part fomenter of fights. That cane was not made of balsa wood. Also, around 72 and 73, I knew the Tiger who was from my hometown. He let me check out the suit and there was a pipe in the bottom of the tail in case he got trapped and had to whack his way out.

By then it was not so much fights but idiots like the GT rats would do what they could to steal the tail. By the time I left Clemson in 76 there was no Country Gentleman and other schools mostly turned their hatred on the mic man.

Aug 16, 2018, 9:45 AM

Now that I think about it, at what point did Clemson give its Tiger Mascot uniform to Auburn, and take on the new refreshed more updated look we see today?

I do. He was around all 4 years........

Aug 16, 2018, 9:30 AM

that I was at CU, 68-72. He went bye bye about the same time as Dixie.

Class of '69. I remember***

Aug 16, 2018, 9:36 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2018, 9:40 AM

The Country Gentleman was my dad's roommate and best friend at Clemson between '65 - '69. I'll try to dig up some old pictures to post.

Aug 16, 2018, 2:00 PM

Here's a link

You can see him in his outfit in the black and white photo

I'm glad it went away

https://www.google.com/search?q=Photo+of+Clemson%27s+country+gentleman&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US752&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=DTKl24dvZqtILM%253A%252CebBS3ZboFtyqWM%252C_&usg=AFrqEze5OKX2-fe5H4KE2VVm09IvamFY8g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi-1p__kfLcAhWOq1kKHVPkB2gQ9QEwAHoECAMQBA#imgrc=DTKl24dvZqtILM:

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are trendsetters. Went PC way before Ole Miss, etc.***

Aug 16, 2018, 3:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic