Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How do you tell a manager you like/respect
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

How do you tell a manager you like/respect

Feb 27, 2020, 11:05 PM

that you were offered and accepted another position? There are many grievances I have with my job...all small things, but they are cumulative. None of them have to do with my boss though. I don’t think she’ll take it well. It’s kinda bad timing as our staff has lost a few others with experience to retirement. I feel she invested a lot in me and I rose quickly in the department with many responsibilities. But the other offer is a significant pay increase, less stress (or a different kind I should say), better hours, and many other pros. It’s a great opportunity. I don’t even know how to break the news...I don’t won’t to burn any bridges but can’t help but feel like I’m going to by simply leaving. Feels like I’m about to have the dreaded break up conversation...wish me luck

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I recommend a singing telegram

Feb 27, 2020, 11:09 PM

“Tall says you were really great,
But he wants more filet on his plate,
So he sent us-to-tellllll,
That you and this job can go straight to.......Whoo whooooo!”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I recommend a singing telegram

Feb 28, 2020, 8:05 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj6Vg5Mirg4

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pitch it as the step up that it sounds like it is

Feb 28, 2020, 4:16 AM

and if they really have your best interests at heart they will be glad for you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

"It's not you, it's me"***

Feb 28, 2020, 6:56 AM

Sleep with her and tell her in bed***

Feb 28, 2020, 7:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good manager will respect your decision

Feb 28, 2020, 7:10 AM

and quietly harbor hateful feelings toward you.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's your boss' JOB to give you the opportunities...

Feb 28, 2020, 7:23 AM

it's YOUR job to make the most of them. Sounds like you and your boss both did your job well. No guilt as you move on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You stole that from a motivational poster with a hot air

Feb 28, 2020, 6:00 PM

balloon didn't you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You write a resignation letter and give it

Feb 28, 2020, 7:52 AM

two him to weeks before you want to be out of there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

JFC you could not have Aero'd that reply any more

Feb 28, 2020, 7:56 AM

than that.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that a challenge?***

Feb 28, 2020, 8:08 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell her straight and then FHRITP***

Feb 28, 2020, 7:53 AM

Keep it as business not personal and no bridges are burned

Feb 28, 2020, 7:58 AM

give her some ideas about who can step up and take more on, or advance to your role.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do you tell a manager you like/respect

Feb 28, 2020, 8:01 AM

Just be honest. If she respects you she will understand. If leaving burns a bridge, then that bridge isn't worth a ****

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 28, 2020, 8:16 AM

Just explain what you stated there, be sincere, and let her get mad. You are doing the right thing. In time she will under stand.
I like the old saying, "After me you come first." Look out for yourself in this scenario and just bite the bullet and tell her. It won't be fun, but just wing it. Congratulations on your new opportunity by the way. Let us know how she takes it.

Feb 28, 2020, 8:18 AM

Also, maybe give her a chance to beat your other offer knowing she won't be able to do so. Then it was on them.

Man, when I left the bank I gave them

Feb 28, 2020, 8:27 AM

every opportunity to come up with more money. They didn't, then gave my replacement 5 grand more than it would have taken to keep me. They should have just fired me years before that.

Feb 28, 2020, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Re: How do you tell a manager you like/respect ]

She took it well. She was very calm, smiled and told me congratulations. She said I’d have more opportunity where I was going and I was making a smart move. Our conversation was brief but I was sincere. I thanked her for the opportunity and made sure she was aware it was a difficult decision. If my decision upset her, she didn’t show it which made it much easier.

I'd sincerely express what you just typed in your message.

Feb 28, 2020, 8:54 AM

Tell her all things being equal or even close to equal you'd chose to work for her but this offer is just too good not to take. Tell her how much you appreciate her being your advocate and how you hope you will get to work together again at some point in the future.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You work for a WOMAN???? HAHAHAHHAHAH

Feb 28, 2020, 9:40 AM

You cuck.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Talk about opportunity and your life goal being more...

Feb 28, 2020, 10:09 AM

achievable if you go in another direction. Remember, this is just business and she would probably do the same thing to you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

give her credit for helping prepare you for it

Feb 28, 2020, 10:16 AM

Thank her for the investment in you and tell her that you see her as a mentor.

Ask to keep that part of the relationship as the two of you grow in your careers.

You never know where your or her career path may lead. You may be able to help one another again.

Then bang her out

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic