Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I really wish we would stop wasting our time in Texas
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

I really wish we would stop wasting our time in Texas

Feb 6, 2018, 11:19 AM

Going back to Bowden, we are wasting our time on these Texas offers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I really wish we would stop wasting our time in Texas

Feb 6, 2018, 11:22 AM

I totally disagree. Your comment could apply to any state. Clemson is building a reputation in the state and our efforts will eventually pay off.

Go Tigers!

Um no, we actually land top talent in our footprint states

Feb 6, 2018, 11:27 AM

For 15+ years we've been missing on talent in Texas and I can't think of any big names we actually landed.... we aren't building anything out west.

Re: Um no, we actually land top talent in our footprint states

Feb 6, 2018, 3:59 PM

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/197173/jc-chalk

Yeah, his grandpa had nothing to do with that....***

Feb 6, 2018, 4:04 PM

Re: Yeah, his grandpa had nothing to do with that....***

Feb 6, 2018, 4:15 PM

He's still one landed in Texas...and that grandpa also has bigger true ties to Alabama, which he eventually also had an offer from. Still takes recruiting to sign the grandson of an ex-Alabama coach to Clemson over Alabama, don't care how you spin it...and it seems it's Clemson and Dabo he liked, not a wish by his grandpa.

But you can read his account of it here:
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2014/06/11/jc-chalk---clemson---commitment---gene-stallings/10329285/

Dabo is one of the best recruiters in the country

Feb 6, 2018, 11:28 AM

Has some of the best recruiters in the country on his staff, and Clemson is known to be one of the best recruiting schools in the nation.

I think I will trust their judgement over yours.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Name 1 elite player we have signed from Texas past 10 years

Feb 6, 2018, 11:30 AM

I'll hang up and listen

5* Safety McTexas***

Feb 6, 2018, 12:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Dabo is one of the best recruiters in the country

Feb 6, 2018, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Dabo is one of the best recruiters in the country ]

miles of us. Louisiana would be way more profitable. Besides, if Texas talent was so good. I guess that’s why TCU was able to beat Oregon in the “ I don’t know what bowl.”

Yeah that offer to John Leake was so dumb***

Feb 6, 2018, 11:31 AM

John Leake was good, but when he's the only

Feb 6, 2018, 11:38 AM

One you have to point to in the last 18 years... you've made my point.

It only takes one

Feb 6, 2018, 11:39 AM

See "CJ Spiller". We used to never get kids out of Alabama and Louisiana either.

Kenny Flowers, Terrance Flagler, etc says hi

Feb 6, 2018, 11:44 AM

We were getting great talent from Florida way before Spiller

Terrance Roulhac, David Treadwell, Brian Dawkins,

Feb 6, 2018, 12:30 PM

Arlington Nunn, Tyron Mouzon, Wardell Rouse, Emory Smith, Jeff Stockstill, Antwaun Wyatt, Rahim Abdullah, Billy Luckie, Alex Ardley, Darrell Crutchfield, Rod Gardner, Theo Mougros, Willie Simmons, Kevin Youngblood, David Dunham, Jamall Fudge, etc.. All from Florida. These are just some that stand out; we have had many, many good players from Florida, and have recruited that state very well all the way back to the 1970s.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Kenny Flowers, Terrance Flagler, etc says hi

Feb 6, 2018, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Kenny Flowers, Terrance Flagler, etc says hi ]

There is great talent, and then there is CJ Spiller level talent.

With 6 starters on the Texans Roster - I think you should

Feb 6, 2018, 11:31 AM

reconsider.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With 6 starters on the Texans Roster - I think you should

Feb 6, 2018, 11:39 AM

Well played !!! Give that fella a bone. +1.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With 6 starters on the Texans Roster - I think you should

Feb 6, 2018, 7:21 PM [ in reply to With 6 starters on the Texans Roster - I think you should ]

You're absolutely right! I think the city of Houston LOVES Clemson these days!

Feb 6, 2018, 11:37 AM

I have to agree and disagree. Clemson is such a hot target right now. Got kids begging to come. I just hope our staff doesn't get overwhelmed and hurt our bread and butter states. No reason at all to believe that will happen. However, I do think we're getting duped by some of these kids just wanting to come see what all the hoopla is and to see the new facilities. What kid wouldn't enjoy a weekend here. So, I tend to agree that will pay dividends in the long run. Like the op said, they have a formula and it's been working so far - no need to change that. I do get ticked when I think a kid is playing us just to beef up their own resume. It looks good to pick the reigning NC as "one" of your schools, even when their really isn't any interest at all. Think Dabo and all the coaches would say it is somewhat of a crapshoot because you really can't read minds.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2018, 11:44 AM

We've only pulled two really good players out of Texas, Darnell Stephens & John Leake. I guess I'd agree, but if you heard a fishing hole was good, wouldn't you try it?

If we have it in the budget and our program is still a "national" brand, it can't hurt.

Feb 6, 2018, 11:55 AM

Agree! What state has more top level prospects? If one is marketing a product such as Clemson why would we not venture into Texas? Heck we went into Kansas!

Go Tigers!

Texas used to be

Feb 6, 2018, 7:31 PM

the best recruiting state. but now the best one is Georgia. if I had to rank the top 10 recruiting states it would be.

1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. Texas
4. California
5. Louisiana
6. Alabama
7. South Carolina
8. Ohio
9. North Carolina
10. Michigan

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2018, 12:02 PM

You miss every shot you don't take. This is exactly why you should stick to just watching the games; don't get involved in the recruiting. It's too much information for you to process.

Feb 6, 2018, 12:28 PM

I'm sure glad we decided to not end recruiting in Ohio.

Clemson is the elite team to play for. I believe we have a shot with any player we really go after.

Feb 6, 2018, 1:11 PM

I disagree. If we looked at our recruiting with this kind of attitude, we would have never landed Etienne. All it takes is one "yes" to make it worth the time. Like an earlier poster mentioned on another thread, we have the best recruiter in the business running our program. We don't need to second guess his recruiting strategy.

Feb 6, 2018, 3:05 PM

Texas has plenty of talent. OU football would die a horrible death without Texas recruits. I think we should continue recruiting Texas for the following reasons. The CURRENT leaders for high level Texas recruits are OU, OSU, TAMU, TCU, Texas & LSU. Baylor was in the mix, but they are reaping the whirlwind that they sewed by being liars and rapists. OU has a 50 year tradition of getting great talent from Texas. OSU has a 100 year tradition of playing second banana to OU. TAMU has a 100 year tradition of underachieving with Texas talent. TCU???? Nobody grows up dreaming of being a Horned Frog. TCU ain’t a bad place, it’s 25 minutes from my house and they’ve done very well in recent years. but they’re still not over the hump as a highly desired destination for elite athletes. Texas??? I’ll let you in on a little secret that most Texans know, but don’t talk about. Austin, TX is too cool to try hard. Austin is Texas’ version of Chapel Hill. That attitude oozes from the bricks in downtown Austin. Austin has a cancer and it appears to be terminal. LSU has everything it needs, but the state of Louisiana has 300+ year tradition of being corrupt just because it’s fun and that tradition carries over to the University. They’ll tell a lie, even when the truth is a better story.

Recruit Texas? I say yes. People in Texas know where Clemson is, that wasn’t true 30 years ago.

Feb 6, 2018, 3:53 PM

To 81 tiger , how much time have you wasted on Texas ?

Elijah Thomas?? If basketball can pull in a major

Feb 6, 2018, 3:58 PM

contributer, I imagine football can as well.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic