Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Clemson's next punter? Will Spiers hopes to earn a scholarship
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

New Story: Clemson's next punter? Will Spiers hopes to earn a scholarship

Feb 10, 2017, 1:01 PM

Clemson's next punter? Will Spiers hopes to earn a scholarship

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney told the media last week that 84 of 85 scholarships have been used heading into the spring, and the last scholarship awaits the winner of the competition to be the starting punter. Will Spiers wants that scholarship.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson***

Feb 10, 2017, 1:07 PM

Dabo... The sly one

Feb 10, 2017, 4:48 PM

Dabo put out there on National Signing Day that Clemson has one more scholarship to give out and it will go to whoever wins the punting job.

Dabo knows we need better punting this year coming and gave notice to anyone who has a leg big enough to win the starting job can come on up in these hill and claim a free ride to a great education.

Dabo the sly!!!

Re: New Story: Clemon's next punter? Will Spiers hopes to earn a scholarship

Feb 10, 2017, 1:09 PM

If your average isn't even in the top 50, I don't think that warrants a scholarship, sorry. Last year, the 50th best punter in FBS was a true freshman from Vanderbilt and he averaged 41.6 over 68 attempts. We are the national champions and I think we can and should be able to do better than 40.

If Jamie Skalsi had a better than 40-yard average in high school and can hit like a Mack truck doing 85mph... WHY ARE WE STILL DEBATING THIS!?

Feb 10, 2017, 1:15 PM

Was Skalski a punter as well as a kickoff guy? Speier is freshman, it's February, he has 7 months till our first game. Distance isn't always the barometer of a great punter, or even a good punter. Now, if he could get good hang time and consistently kick them 42+ with no returns, that's a good punter. Also, punting inside the 20 takes yards off average at times. It's a tricky thing just generalizing that if he can't kick 45+ he must not be a good punter.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, we didn't get any of that with...

Feb 10, 2017, 2:11 PM

Teasdale.

Feb 10, 2017, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemon's next punter? Will Spiers hopes to earn a scholarship ]

TD me all you want, a 42-yard average is barely top 50. Utah had a punter averaging 47.7 yards on 64 kicks. Teasdale ranked 108 (out of 115) with an average of 38.0 on 61 kicks. A championship Clemson team can do better than a 40-yard punter if we are talking scholarships. Not sure how anyone could even argue this point.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/17/p1

And to answer you, YES, Skalski handled punts AND kicks. He also played running back at times, was the defensive player of the year AND was second-team all-regional kicker. The kid is 6'0", 236lbs and was hitting 42-yard field goals in practice last year just for the fun of it. I'll take Skalski punting over a redshirt freshman averaging 40 yards any day of the week.

Feb 11, 2017, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemon's next punter? Will Spiers hopes to earn a scholarship ]

Absolutely, if the hang time isn't there, the coverage team is still running full speed trying to get to the Return Man but scattered all over the field and the Returner has running lanes all over the field with blockers that equals big returns. That is the reason that I mentioned during the season that Dabo should find the best and strongest leg HS punt/kicker in the country and offer a full ride scholarship to Clemson, and hopefully that will solve our kick/punter Horrors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2017, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemon's next punter? Will Spiers hopes to earn a scholarship ]

We sure need a punter - a real punter that gets yardage and placement!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2017, 11:56 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemon's next punter? Will Spiers hopes to earn a scholarship ]

I'm no punting expert, but when evaluating a punter it's a combination of 1. How fast can you get it off, 2. How high, and then 3. How far. Doesn't matter how far if you can't do the first two. In fact, unless you're constantly punting from your 30 or less, criteria 1 and 2 are even more important. Our opponents had to do that quite often, we did not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2017, 6:46 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemon's next punter? Will Spiers hopes to earn a scholarship ]

Well that's all great, but he said he was punting 40 yards IN PRACTICE. I wish him the best, but if you can 't do better than that at practice you aren't even an average punter for div 1 football. It amazes me that we can't do better than that at Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson ranked 108th in punting last year....

Feb 10, 2017, 1:20 PM

so how much worse can it get. The top collegiate punters in the country average between 45 and 49 yards per kick.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Clemson ranked 108th in punting last year....

Feb 10, 2017, 1:24 PM

And we finished tied for 28th in Punt Return defense giving up 5.2 yards a return. So, there had to be a correlation there somewhere. I guess shorter punts is easier to cover than the long ones. There were times when we were backed up that I WISH we had a punter that could boom it 50+ yards but TIsdall wasn't the answer. He did however have some good punts with the rugby style kick against Bama.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree that he started doing better...

Feb 10, 2017, 2:02 PM

after he went to the rugby style kick and after he stopped kicking it directly to the Bama punt returner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2017, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson ranked 108th in punting last year.... ]

Finishing 28th in punt return defense and 108th in punting just means the other 10 guys on the field came to play.

I really wish I could argue with this statement.***

Feb 10, 2017, 2:43 PM

Feb 10, 2017, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson ranked 108th in punting last year.... ]

Well. When your best punt of the year was from your QB.........
Lord please send us a punter for next season

Feb 11, 2017, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson ranked 108th in punting last year.... ]

Punters can out kick the coverage, and that happens a lot with punters with big legs that don't have any hang times. A Line drive 50 plus yard punts usually the advantage goes to the Returner bc he can get full speed and run past the coverage. Touch Down!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easy: Renfrow, and give him two scholarships.

Feb 10, 2017, 1:21 PM

"Hunter Renfrow, WR/P"

I'll never forget: that is what the jumbotron in Tampa said when the teams were introduced. Our BACKUP PUNTER caught 17 passes and 4 TDs against Bama in two Natty's.

Let the man kick. He was an option QB in HS, so I see some really elaborate fakes in there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Easy: Renfrow, and give him two scholarships.

Feb 10, 2017, 1:49 PM

Don't laugh but I've heard he could very well be the starting punter. ;)

Just a gut feeling...

Feb 10, 2017, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Easy: Renfrow, and give him two scholarships. ]

But I have a feeling he maybe the best punter Dabo has had, Spiers.

Me too. 6'5", 220 and athletic.***

Feb 10, 2017, 4:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Believe he also started at QB on his HS team ...***

Feb 11, 2017, 10:34 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2017, 1:38 PM

Really hope we don't waste a scholarship on a below average punter. We could just pooch kick or go for it. That's better than a 40 yard avg with an unknown hang time

Feb 10, 2017, 2:10 PM

A 40-yard average would be somewhat of an improvement.

What we've been doing before we began the rugby style was essentially a "pooch punt" averaging only 35 yards or so with plenty of hang time to avoid a return, but losing acres of field position on each and every exchange.

Fortunately, DW4 and the offense were able to move the ball effectively even when we got ourselves pinned deep by a great punt and that made up for a lot of the short comings of our punter.

We probably cannot count on that happening this year and we'll need someone who can at least match the opposing teams punter kick for kick.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Clemson's next punter? Will Spiers hopes to earn a scholarship

Feb 10, 2017, 2:09 PM

Not trying to be mean, but half the high school punters would be an upgrade.

Feb 10, 2017, 2:50 PM

Don't we have a soccer team? Somebody over there has to have a leg cannon...

Net Punting Average

Feb 10, 2017, 4:18 PM

is all I care about.

If he kicks it backwards like a mule and we are in the Top 20 in net punting average, I'm happy!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

GOOD LUCK WILL!***

Feb 10, 2017, 4:45 PM

^^^ +1 ^^^

Feb 10, 2017, 5:35 PM

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

null

If he's good then I'm for it but we're going to have back to

Feb 10, 2017, 5:48 PM

back small classes. Might want to make sure we make ever scholarship count on the lean years.

Agree 100%. Instead of cashing in on the natty by using it

Feb 10, 2017, 6:10 PM

on a 5-star, we're giving it to the winner of a walk-on punting competition.

Dabo hasn't listened to your 887 posts telling him

Feb 10, 2017, 9:49 PM

what he should do. Hint: don't stand by your phone.

Feb 10, 2017, 7:38 PM

As long as he can punt for more than an avg of 29 yards a kick the job will be his.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Feb 10, 2017, 8:01 PM

This takes me back 57 years ago....a walk on...Frank Howard.....Banks McFadden...August 20th, 1960....i won the job....and held it for 3 years...and graduated...first and only scholarship to be awarded by Coach Howard to a punter...wow....57 years ago...GL Will...2.2 seconds to liftoff...5 second hangtime...turn it over...and drop it in the corner...

Eddie Werntz

Name from the past. Remember you well. Excellent

Feb 10, 2017, 9:54 PM

punter.

Whoever wins needs to master the rugby style punt

Feb 10, 2017, 8:27 PM

and there should be no debate about that. The ball rolling on the ground is just as good as being up in the air. Plus, I bet his average distance improves.

He was not setting the world on fire at a private school

Feb 10, 2017, 9:02 PM

where the fastest guy couldn't outrun our biggest offensive lineman in which he'd have a lot more time to get the punt off. It sure will be a lot different at the college level. I was a little surprised by his preferred walk on offer but more surprised about Spiers getting a job offer. I've always thought of our coaching staff as caring and down to earth people. At least everything I've heard from people who have dealt with them first hand have said that about them for years. Spiers is not the most popular guy in his own home town. If Dabo sees something then I trust his judgment, but another Gardocki that kicked the ball so high you could almost see it at eye level in the upper deck sure would be nice.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Wow, was this post necessary?***

Feb 10, 2017, 9:58 PM

Yes

Feb 10, 2017, 10:12 PM

He made some extremely valid points. But, I'll lead with this quote from his post: " If Dabo sees something then I trust his judgment."

He trusts the coaching staff. That kinda stops the argument, doesn't it.

But, I'll go one step further... Clemson needs a punter. We need a good one. Last year, it hurt us badly not having someone that could shift the field. Hey man... Everybody knows this. We need a dang punter. If Spiers' kid is the answer, give him a scholly. If not, find one. Either way, we need a dang punter.

Reading comprehension is definitely not your strong point!***

Feb 10, 2017, 10:31 PM

Re: He was not setting the world on fire at a private school

Feb 10, 2017, 11:48 PM [ in reply to He was not setting the world on fire at a private school ]

I'm not sure there's a difference in punting a private school football and public school football.

I imagine he will have public school punt protection, if that makes you feel better.

By the way - his dad went to a private school, too.

Christian Wilkins went to a private school, too.

null

The kicker from IMG went to UNC. Clemson was

Feb 11, 2017, 9:14 AM

His first choice but we wouldnt even offer a scholie. He has been a goood punter and kicks it out of the end zone on kick offs. Why not go after him or anyone that can do that. National champions and we dont put a priority on kicking. Baffles me.

we already had a scholarship punter

Feb 11, 2017, 1:27 PM

we will never have 2 scholarship punters on the team and we aren't going to take a scholarship away unless it was to a walk on to begin with

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His first choice but we wouldnt even offer a scholie. He has been a goood punter and kicks it out of the end zone on kick offs. Why not go after him or anyone that can do that. National champions and we dont put a priority on kicking. Baffles me.

Feb 11, 2017, 11:09 AM

A scholarship represents a lot of bucks that I'm sure his parents are the ones paying for young Will's tuition. If I were big Will, I would be sending young Will to the Ray Guy Kicking Camps / Instruction for a summer that would surely help young Will to earn a FB scholarship at Clemson. A summer with Ray Guy don't cost near what 4 years at Clemson cost!!!

They are multi-millionaires***

Feb 11, 2017, 1:16 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Feb 11, 2017, 11:33 AM

I'm not trying to be negative, but saying you're working really hard on punting but not knowing your stats sounds bogus. I'm sorry, if you're really working to improve your craft, you use the objective measurements to indicate wether or not your work is yielding improvement. To say he doesn't know his average distance or hang time tells me he just expects the scholarship.

Given the PR he is getting from this article....done deal.

Feb 11, 2017, 6:59 PM

He will get the punting scholarship and I would venture a guess on who the holder will be.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic