Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 97
| visibility 101

TNET: Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end

Jul 28, 2018, 4:49 PM

Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end

Clemson University released a statement Saturday regarding a TigerNet report on balloon releases no longer being a part of Clemson football gamedays. The tradit Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So...they didn't really say anything

Jul 28, 2018, 4:55 PM

Other than 'we've been thinking about it for a little while now'

Clemson

Re: So...they didn't really say anything

Jul 28, 2018, 5:08 PM

They mention discussions with “campus groups.” The Top20 push has led to many snowflakes in our student body. It may be too late.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Even so, what did they discuss?***

Jul 28, 2018, 5:21 PM

Clemson

Jul 28, 2018, 7:37 PM [ in reply to Re: So...they didn't really say anything ]

Oh, just stop with the snowflake crap. It makes you look really ignorant.

Jul 28, 2018, 9:26 PM

He’s right nothing but a bunch of snowflakes

Jul 29, 2018, 7:48 AM [ in reply to Re: So...they didn't really say anything ]

Tradition set aside based on lies and ignorance. Lies and ignorance wins!

Jul 29, 2018, 7:48 AM [ in reply to Re: So...they didn't really say anything ]

Tradition set aside based on lies and ignorance. Lies and ignorance wins!

Jul 30, 2018, 3:57 AM [ in reply to Re: So...they didn't really say anything ]

Or else what? You’ll have another meltdown? Do they have good WiFi in your safe space?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 29, 2018, 12:37 PM [ in reply to So...they didn't really say anything ]

Don't we have a school or course of studies that could come up with a biodegradable balloon?

They are biodegradable*****

Jul 31, 2018, 10:48 PM

when do they stop the buses due to emissions going into the

Jul 28, 2018, 5:01 PM

atmosphere?

Re: when do they stop the buses due to emissions going into the

Jul 29, 2018, 9:41 AM

That's an easy fix. Most city bus systems use natural gas which has no emissions.

Jul 29, 2018, 2:47 PM

No. NG buses still have emissions, but they are different than diesel or gasoline engine emissions and tend to be lower but they do have higher CO [carbon monoxide], formaldehyde, and methane emissions.

CNG buses emit virtually no visible particulate matter or black soot at the tailpipe (90% less that conventional diesels) and the particulates that are emitted is smaller in size. The is some question whether these nanoparticles are more dangerous--especially in their cancer potency--than larger particles.

Natural gas has inherently lower carbon dioxide emissions compared to diesel. Considering the
total fuel cycle of both diesel and CNG including the emissions created during fuel production, CNG
buses appear to have total greenhouse gas emissions that are very similar to, if not slightly better
than, diesel buses, despite emitting higher levels of methane.

CNG engines have lower NOx, by about half vs diesel but more than 8 time the formaldehyde output.

In one study comparing school buses, CNG was worse than low emitting diesel
in the case of six designated toxic are contaminants (acetaldehyde, acrolein, benzene, formaldehyde, methyl ethyl ketone and propionaldehyde).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2018, 5:30 PM

It just has to sound green to make green.

F-310 is the answer

Jul 30, 2018, 5:22 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end

Jul 28, 2018, 5:05 PM

We are talking about “ balloons” people CMON. If you don’t get it — google what those balloons do to wildlife mistaken them for food when they fall to the ground.
I don’t go to Clemson games for balloons — I go to watch FOOTBALL———- HELLLOOOOOOOO!

Jul 28, 2018, 6:10 PM

I just want beer at the games

Doubt many are all that concerned about the balloons

Jul 28, 2018, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end ]

in a vacuum. It's just another tradition dead, and another win for those who are in the process of destroying as much of our tradition, history, and values as they can. People are tired of seeing things they love get torn down, so now even things they didn't really care about before become issues.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Doubt many are all that concerned about the balloons

Jul 28, 2018, 10:39 PM

Well, like you said. Anything can be an issue if you make it one.

In this case, it’s balloons.

Jul 28, 2018, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end ]

That’s such snowflake BS

Jul 29, 2018, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end ]

The Google answers are written by the same PETA people that have set forth the "balloon lie". Why would I trust them? There's just no frigging way these latex balloons have the integrity to make it to the coast from the upstate. This whole thing is based on a lie made up by the tree huggers. No foundation in fact and certainly no use of common sense.

Jul 29, 2018, 9:43 AM

Just admit that no matter who did the study, and no matter what the facts are, you would prefer your precious balloon release over trying to reduce our impact on the environment.

Jul 30, 2018, 9:57 AM

Just admit that you prefer control of someone’s traditions and could give a flip about environmental concerns.

Where are pictures of the fallen animals.

Jul 31, 2018, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end ]

Kinda survival of the fittest. Deer are dumb. Really dumb deer stand in the road and get run over. If you're dumb enough to eat a balloon mistaking it for tree leaves, they are too dumb to live anyway.. Petitions online-protest on social media- who gives a rat's a$$...... We don't have anything with a blow hole (animal that is) Do birds crash into them? Do dogs chase them off cliffs.Do cats get PTSD from batting them? No more balloons at birthday parties kids

Want to make a difference-ditch ALL your plastic bags-grocery store, trash, zip locks-the whole 9 yards. Don't forget pampers!! Any protests about that on campus?? Nooo- let's go after the evil balloons!

I’ve been expecting this for a long long time.

Jul 28, 2018, 5:09 PM

It was an amazing spectacle to behold. The excitement of the Tigers’ entrance is unparalleled in this country and the orange-filled sky was a big factor in that atmosphere (pun intended)

And while I don’t agree with many environmentally-motivated policies, I have to admit that this one was a long time coming. We don’t have to have an actual example of a dead turtle or other harmed endangered species to know that releasing thousands of latex balloons several times a year is contrary to many values we hold about littering and personal responsibility. Just because we don’t see the damage doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I still believe it was a beautiful tradition - but that can’t be the only reason to keep doing it. I teach my children to pick up their trash, and sometimes pick up after others. But when they ask about the balloons and littering I can’t really satisfy myself with he answer: “well, it’s tradition, and it looks really pretty”

Re: I’ve been expecting this for a long long time.

Jul 28, 2018, 5:18 PM

Thanks — very intelligent comment and you’re 100 percent correct

Wrong. Not that it matters.

Jul 28, 2018, 5:32 PM

Feelings are more important than facts these days anyway.

Here’s someone who tried a scientific analysis of the risk back in 2012., for their Ph.D, i.e. an “expert.”

https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/all_dissertations/959/

Median Distance traveled was 33.8 km with a spread of 70 km, one sigma. Making it to the ocean to affect sea turtles and shore birds would be an almost impossible probability. And it still didn’t seem to affect wildlife when they put latex (does Clemson even use latex any more?) in their proximity, i.e. “offered” it to them. And we don’t use strings anymore either.

They weren’t happy with the null result so they went to asking people how they felt about it. So there you have it.

Re: Wrong. Not that it matters.

Jul 28, 2018, 7:42 PM

Yep. That’s how it works.

No, actually it’s not.

Jul 28, 2018, 8:50 PM

I'm sure you feel that way. Sorry if the truth hurts your feelings.

It's all there! Black and white, clear as crystal! You stole Fizzy-Lifting Drinks! You bumped into the ceiling, which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get... NOTHING!!! You lose! GOOD DAY, SIR!

^^^ POTY!!***

Jul 30, 2018, 9:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's don't let facts get in the way.***

Jul 28, 2018, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Wrong. Not that it matters. ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2018, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Wrong. Not that it matters. ]

Wonder how many millions that study cost. They "offered" them latex--doesn't sound like many ate any and if the did there was no statistical changes in their health. Since catfish eat anything and they survived--nuff said. Japanese quail?? Seriously??

Jul 28, 2018, 5:20 PM [ in reply to I’ve been expecting this for a long long time. ]

????????????

Jul 28, 2018, 5:20 PM [ in reply to I’ve been expecting this for a long long time. ]

????????????

Excellent synopsis of the situation...***

Jul 28, 2018, 6:01 PM [ in reply to I’ve been expecting this for a long long time. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe we'll see the end of the darn weather balloons too

Apr 19, 2013, 1:03 PM

Those have been wreaking havoc on my life for years! How many times have you started your day by listening to the weatherman saying it's going to be sunny, so you don't take your umbrella, and then it rains like he!!!

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Jul 28, 2018, 5:24 PM

It would have meant more if they would have just been honest and said "we caved to a few, and could give a $%÷= what the majority think".

There are more animals killed on the road way as people travel to and from the games than will ever be killed by these balloons. But they make money on people traveling to the games so they could care less about that.

Jul 28, 2018, 5:34 PM

I had to avoid balloons while flying before, so there is a safety factor involved. You can see em in the day time, but you can't at night. Even though they add to the valley experience, for the environment, it is littering.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2018, 9:02 AM

Flying?.....As in a fossil fuel powered chemtrail leaving airplane? Surely it wouldn't hurt a hanglider. As far as latex goes, does this mean a condom ban will follow? Sure it will. (Ever been below a sewer plant on a river after a heavy rain? This aren't snakes hanging in the bushes.) Then the corresponding rise in STDS will result in outcry which will result in more government meetings with the corresponding increase in travel with fossil fuel powered vehicles to combat the STD rise.....and the circle goes round and round and the market creation continues under the thinly veiled guise of being "environmentally conscious". Don't forget I have that beach house in Iowa for sale. The view from the deck goes on for miles. Don't worry the deck was made of recycled condoms. Just doing my part to offset that horrible balloon release. GO TIGERS!

Jul 28, 2018, 5:27 PM

Guys, and gals. You’re missing the main story line of this article- we absolutely dominated and crushed little Boomer Esiason’s ego for the second straight year. We destroyed #11 terpies... and I loved every last second of it.

It was a beautiful site to behold, we were pumped sky high. Just another magical Death Valley treasures moment!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was awesome.

Jul 28, 2018, 5:47 PM

I guess we are now “Dropping Below.”

Re: It was awesome.

Jul 28, 2018, 6:15 PM

My future and current wife were there on a cold morning blowing up balloons for the world record. It was awesome! BTW - Clemson never consulted me about ending the practice. Who are the campus groups that gave their views...and who else wasn't consulted?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude you shouldn't let them hang out together.***

Jul 28, 2018, 9:28 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2018, 5:34 PM

Nothing is safe

Which tradition is next? Pick one.

I was a part of the 1983 launch and it's one of my fondest memories, and I have quite a few from my time there.

Did they look into biodegradeable balloons? If the tech isn't good enough, for crying out loud, put some grad students on OT and create it! Clemson made the space shuttle heat times, we can make anything!

Frickin snowflake environmentalist win again.

Jul 28, 2018, 5:43 PM

OK — I give in! What the heck is so important about balloons being released— someone explain this!
In the grand scheme of things why is this such a necessary thing???????

One day some leftist is going to be asking the same question

Jul 28, 2018, 9:32 PM

"in the grand scheme of things, what's so important about college kids running into each other at high speeds trying to gain ground on a field? It causes traumatic brain injury, you know? It's also a breeding ground for religious activity and bonding, two things dangerous to the new communist order."

That's 100% going to happen one day. I just hope I die before college football does.

Jul 30, 2018, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end ]

You’ll figure it out when you have kids. Go in and tell them that you’re not visiting the grandparents any more during the holidays because some government funded study of some special interest group said that traveling during the holidays encourages global warming/cooling/change/thunderstorms/flatulence/insert buzzword here. Call us and let us know how that goes. I’ll bet the glaciers will have returned to their normal size by then because as you know, we control everything down to the rotation speed of the planet.

Jul 28, 2018, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end ]

Hey crawdad64 —- sorry but no snowflake here — card carrying republican instead. I just don’t understand how the balloon thing is so darned important! If it’s killing some cool looking ducks etc. IM OUT! It’s not political for crying out loud —- just getting way silly WAY FAST.
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BALLOONS —————. CMON

Jul 30, 2018, 10:18 AM

"It's just a rock. C'mon people, we are talking about a rock."

It is not about a rock, or about a latex balloon, or about the name of our iconic building, or about any of the things that are uniquely Clemson. You can find harm in just about EVERYTHING that ANYONE DOES. This is about tradition. Traditions are the things that bind generations together. Things that my children will do, like I did.

I have always heard that our country is just one generation away from destruction. Raise a generation that hates America and its values, and they will not defend it. It seems that Clemson is but one class away from "destruction" as well.

I walked through campus this past Saturday (picking up my daughter from volleyball camp). I went to Cooper Library to look up when the balloon tradition actually started (1976) from old TAPS issues. As I walked up some steps heading back to the car, the same steps that I walked up hundreds of times 30 years ago as a student, I was hopeful that one day my daughter would walk these same steps as a student herself. It may be difficult to explain, but common experiences passed up through generations do have an important role in society.

So no, it's not about a 19 cent balloon.

Jul 30, 2018, 1:49 PM

Well said!!!!

I heard they were killing the state's chicken population....

Jul 28, 2018, 5:42 PM

In dangered spcecies........

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Finally.....now we can get

Jul 28, 2018, 6:04 PM

a proper chicken canon!!!!! You haven’t lived until you’ve had 3000mph shredded chicken.

no ballooons no problem. Flaming fire spray

Jul 28, 2018, 6:09 PM

Let’s just go with large f’ing flames !

We're running out of helium anyway.

Jul 28, 2018, 6:39 PM

Helium isn't a renewable resource. The U.S. national reserve of helium is expected to be depleted by 2020, so this was probably going to happen sooner or later no matter what.

^This^

Jul 28, 2018, 11:17 PM

You are correct. This is the only 'take' on this issue that matters.

LOL

Jul 30, 2018, 5:46 AM [ in reply to We're running out of helium anyway. ]

that's right we only have 2 years left and it's all gone after that

Jul 28, 2018, 7:35 PM

No problem...I will be bringing all 7 grandkids to the games with each one bringing 10 balloons to the game....again, prove to me that just 1 turtle has died from eating a balloon from anywhere.

Jul 28, 2018, 7:45 PM

https://www.fws.gov/news/blog/index.cfm/2015/8/5/Balloons-and-Wildlife-Please-Dont-Release-Your-Balloons

Jul 28, 2018, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end ]

https://www.mcsuk.org/downloads/pollution/dont%20let%20go.pdf

Jul 28, 2018, 7:56 PM

next thing you know they will be trying to ban straws.

Just gotta look westward to see into the future...

Jul 28, 2018, 9:34 PM

no straws, but hey, knowingly giving someone HIV is kosher.

Given that pattern I'd expect them to ban condoms next. More second generation immigrants to vote leftist, and more abortions for everyone else. Win/win!

Jul 28, 2018, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end ]

https://wildliferescueandcare.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/balloon-releases-kill-animals/

Just use google. How can you deny that turtles are killed by balloons? You have all of the information in the world at your fingertips and don’t bother to look up what you are going about.

Jul 28, 2018, 7:39 PM

In the very near future, lasers and holograms will have advanced to the point we'll laugh at the po folks still using balloons. A Japanese company is already projecting holograms that can be seen in sunlight. Imagine a giant floating paw shot from the oculus.

http://www.burton-jp.com/en/product.htm

Can we release "Snowflakes" ? ....asking for .....

Jul 28, 2018, 7:52 PM

………..a Friend

One day. If we're lucky.

Jul 28, 2018, 9:36 PM

But we'll do it from helicopters.

Re: One day. If we're lucky.

Jul 19, 2013, 12:24 PM

As god is my witness...I thought turkeys could fly...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

did i miss a link to a part 2 where they actually say

Jul 28, 2018, 8:13 PM

something?

I get really annoyed...

Jul 28, 2018, 8:37 PM

Even pi$$ed when I see someone tossing a cigarette butt or other trash out the window as they tool down the road. It's rather hypocritical to not consider a balloon release in the same vein.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I get really annoyed...

Jul 28, 2018, 8:54 PM

But...but...snowflakes!

Jul 28, 2018, 9:46 PM

We can fly unmanned rockets to the moon and back but no one has invented a biodegradeable balloon yet? Clemson engineering, where you at?

Jul 28, 2018, 10:31 PM

OK so we start a new tradition. All you pointed head idiots can gather at the bottom of the hill and snort a orange condom while the team runs down the hill. At half time you phi's can all gather again on the paw and blow the snorted condoms out of your #ss into a giant orange trash bag. Problem solved.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2018, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on balloon tradition end ]

The balloons released for at least the last several years have been biodegradable and without strings (another environmental concern). The problem here is the media (go figure). Most people as evidenced by posts on this site don’t realize that the balloons are biodegradable so it’s big news when they stop releasing the balloons. Much ado about nothing. They have reduced the number of balloons over the past saveral years that most of us in he stands won’t even notice. The most exciting 25 seconds in college football will still be he same without the balloons. GO TIGERS!!!’n

World upside down...

Jul 29, 2018, 12:18 AM

http://www.investmentwatchblog.com/the-current-state-of-the-left-worse-to-give-somebody-a-straw-than-to-give-them-hiv/

Just a guess...but I figure there are 25,000 to 35,000 cars,

Jul 29, 2018, 8:00 AM

maybe more, that travel 25 to 300 miles...AND BACK...to attend our games. If they want to affect significant change on the environment, they should just cancel the games and football program all together. I mean, you could get rid of several hotels that burn energy to heat in the winter and cool in the summer...get rid of thousands of plastic cups wasted each and every week, no more gas wasted on traveling thousands of miles yearly in persuit of 5* players, no more paper wasted on programs and media guides, no more chemicals sprayed on the grass to make it the perfect green, heck, we won't even need the grass,just natural weeds or whatever comes up...THE SAVINGS ARE ENDLESS!! I MEAN, IF WE ARE GOING TO SAVE THE PLANET, LET'S GO ALL IN AND DO IT!!!!!

Re: Just a guess...but I figure there are 25,000 to 35,000 cars,

Jul 30, 2018, 4:27 AM

What's a bigger impact? Balloons or all empty beer cans /bottles that get dumped each weekend. Can't have it both ways, if u care so much about the earth. These same snowflakes are the ones who litter the grounds around the frat/sorority houses with every piece of non-biodegradble objects they can find. God forbid if a balloon got tangled up in that mess.

Jul 29, 2018, 8:50 AM

Balloon release was a great Tiger tradition and will be missed by many. I am saddened that the excuse for its end was based on a lie. It's not an environmental threat, as the posted study concluded. As a Tiger Chem Engr, class of 75, I knew something of latex decomposition rates as well as atmospheric realities of drift distance.

7 times a year for a thrill that does bring out the child in most of us and always a thrill for our kids and grandkids.

Well, our University leadership has decided, but I for one am dissatisfied with the ambiguous reasoning stated. I'll live with it because the central core of the Tiger gameday experience is intact: our band and hill entry and a great football team. And don't forget the best tailgating experience anywhere. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2018, 8:53 AM

Getting rid of the balloons was a long time coming bottom line. It was the students and administration decision. Even biodegradable balloons can take years to degrade and by then the damage is done. At best they look bad wherever they end up, at worst they are killing animals. They also still contain traces of plastic and chemicals. Secondly we are rapidly running out of helium. Helium is also used in medicine and technology. So you guys can keep yelling snowflakes while you cry about your lost balloons. Coots are laughing thier heads off.

Jul 29, 2018, 9:47 AM

Getting rid of the balloons was a long time coming bottom line. It was the students and administration decision. Even biodegradable balloons can take years to degrade and by then the damage is done. At best they look bad wherever they end up, at worst they are killing animals. They also still contain traces of plastic and chemicals. Secondly we are rapidly running out of helium. Helium is also used in medicine and technology. So you guys can keep yelling snowflakes while you cry about your lost balloons. Coots are laughing thier heads off.

Well said! Very similar to what I said on the initial article about this on here. The problem we face is really education and getting people to the point that you don't see posts like the one below here where someone is so uninformed about how we impact the planet with our actions. Its great to see that the students are changing in their views and knowledge beyond where many of us were "back in the day" and are taking more proactive roles in issues like this.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope someone actually did a study on the impact of balloon

Jul 29, 2018, 8:56 AM

and not counted on a 4th grader for the answers like Starbucks did over plastic straws,
It just feels good to be libtard and I am tired of " We are destroying the Earth BS'
The fact that they think the earth is so fragile makes me sick. The Earth has been rolling right
along for Billions of years and a couple of stupid balloons is not going to do any harm.

you really think that 7 billion individuals

Jul 29, 2018, 9:09 AM

Using technologies and materials that have never been seen before in the planet's history just has zero impact at all on the environment?

every human has a negative impact on the Earth

Jul 30, 2018, 5:56 AM

kill all humans

I really will miss the balloon tradition at games... but

Jul 29, 2018, 9:00 AM

what goes up must come down. It is basically littering. No different than taking your disgusting cigarette butt and throwing in out your car window. Yes, I will be sad to see the tradition goes but life goes on. Some of you sadly want to turn it in a political issue. Can I dump my trash in your yard? Properly not. Stop whining.

Jul 29, 2018, 9:05 AM

The cannon will be next up for elimination. Some murky health and/or safety reason will be provided after the fact.

Jul 29, 2018, 10:07 AM

Balloon release was a great Tiger tradition and will be missed by many. I am saddened that the excuse for its end was based on a lie. It's not an environmental threat, as the posted study concluded. As a Tiger Chem Engr, class of 75, I knew something of latex decomposition rates as well as atmospheric realities of drift distance.

7 times a year for a thrill that does bring out the child in most of us and always a thrill for our kids and grandkids.

Well, our University leadership has decided, but I for one am dissatisfied with the ambiguous reasoning stated. I'll live with it because the central core of the Tiger gameday experience is intact: our band and hill entry and a great football team. And don't forget the best tailgating experience anywhere. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2018, 10:26 AM

The wheels that make Clemson run have changed. Clemson ain't what it used to be, remember when the hill was always filled? Remember when it was more about family than flakes? Mark my words the cannon will be next!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2018, 10:36 AM

Jul 29, 2018, 11:14 AM

I wish they would have given us a heads up so we could really appreciate one last time.

Jul 30, 2018, 2:01 PM

Yes, it would have been nice to have one final time. It would have taped it to remember by.

social media, making the world a better place***

Jul 29, 2018, 11:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

As I’m not a 6 year old kid,

Jul 29, 2018, 12:14 PM

This has no bearing on my enjoyment of Clemson Football.

Also, I don’t know why Clemson gets a pass on littering but the rest of us get $500 tickets.

Pretty funny hearing grown a** humans complaining

Jul 29, 2018, 6:34 PM

that snowflakes are taking their balloons away.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2018, 7:34 AM

Did we cut down all the oak trees yet? Since it takes 4 years for their leaves to decompose. Get with it!

Jul 30, 2018, 9:52 AM

The Thanksgiving turkey is next. As was stated so eloquently before “it’s only a part of tradition so why not get rid of it”. Ever seen a poultry house of any type? Nope no environmental concerns there. What’s that? Can’t talk with your mouth full? The soccer/football replacement move is underway. Boiling the frog one degree at a time.

Jul 30, 2018, 9:19 AM

I agree with NOT releasing balloons. It is irrelevant tinsel on a tradition. It is not a good practice if the only reason we are doing it is because of "tradition". Circa 1983 is not that big of a tradition to change up. Really the tradition would be to release a whole record attempt. Release chickens, turtles, bears (who wouldn't like to see a few bears released into the visitor section), doves, bees or anything else.

(FYI Clemson BioSci 600lvl coursework Limnology, Aquatic ecology...Hains).
While the direct environmental damage is small in scale (if only looking at Clemson's Ballons), it is a major collective issue with all type of non-biodegradable materials making its way into the aquatic ecosystem. Think a million papercuts. It is a big visual impact to release that type of material into the Savannah + other watershed. It is kinda like smoking in a hospital... the direct and immediate "damage" is minor overall but it is a highly visible and noxious statement.

Aug 1, 2018, 7:31 AM

Just out of curiosity--have you personally seen dead wildlife who can attribute their demise to a balloon? Not saying it couldn't happen, I'm just wondering if a person, not a world wide search on Google, can bear witness to it on a local or statewide level. You weren't even around in 83 so you don't know what it was like back then during the probation years. This program could have been decimated except for fan support and innovative thinking by the student body at the time. To you, it's just silly balloons. To many of us, it brings back a feeling of pride and determination when it is all put together with the Hill. ...and the frustration expressed on this board is not only that but it's been a cumulative politicization of so many issues that keep chipping away at everyday life on a minute level that, at some point, which has given rise to belligerence.

There are native Americans who were stripped of their land and their way of life placed on tiny reservations mostly in the middle of nowhere-where no one else wants to be, imprisoned by government subsidies, and forgotten. Their suicide rate is alarming. A large percentage of their populations are diabetic and suffer from high BP. Some schools are 4 days a week because there's no money for 5.People are shot, stabbed and run over-literally but no one seems to care. And now-we are reduced to squabbling over balloons being released for enjoyment at a football game. They've been meeting "for several years" about the balloons. You think there was one meeting about a native American??-maybe but very few. So when someone champions a cause of this magnitude, I'll listen to a balloon argument. Otherwise, leave the freaking balloons alone and get a life!
PresentDoc

Aug 1, 2018, 7:51 AM

Lets set the record straight about Native Americans. They committed genocide against their own, actively participated in slavery, rape and committed atrocities against settlers that to this day are beyond the pale. A long and protracted war was fought by them and they lost.

For what it's worth I am 1/8 Cherokee!

I always wondered what Charles Spurgeon

Aug 1, 2018, 9:25 AM

was speaking of when he used the word "pussyism" Now it's clear

Replies: 97
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic