Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I propose a 3-way conference trade to occur post haste.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

I propose a 3-way conference trade to occur post haste.

Nov 1, 2014, 8:53 PM

With $31 Million in hand thanks to the Terps (good riddance), we offer Wake Forest to the AAC. We pay Wake its split for the next two years to help get their transition in place, and turn our attention to the Big XII and West Virginia.

We help strike a deal for BYU to replace West Va, and we toss in half the MD $ to help the transition. BYU would easily bring West Va's market value to the conference if not more, and it would be a significant upgrade for the Cougars.

Don't take this as a dump on Wake. They'd certainly keep the other NC schools in their OOC rotation, but they're just not equipped as an institution to keep up with the demands that today's game requires on the football side. Sure they've had their moments in the sun, but it's time to find a home that offers a better fit moving forward, and the AAC does that. Quality basketball, competitive and nearby football - and they won't have to spend a fortune to uphold their end of the bargain there as they'll have to in the ACC. The North Carolina market is covered already, and it may be time that the perennial also-ran in sports across the board there moved on.

So boom. Space #14 is open - welcome aboard West Virginia. Welcome to the Big XII BYU. West Va. could earn a full share from the beginning, while the remaining MD $ helps cover Wake's two year transition onward. There would of course be some butthurtness in the Wake community, but considering the way they travel to away games I can't imagine there would be too much of a ruckus.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow bro that is a lot of typing

Nov 1, 2014, 8:54 PM

sorry but you lost my attention about 10 words in...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There are a lot of democrats on this board. They know

Nov 1, 2014, 8:57 PM

how to spend the money.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wake gets the same contract money as we do...where do they

Nov 1, 2014, 8:58 PM

spend it? Not on football.

These lameasss ACC programs need to be forced to spend this TV money or get out. Schools should be forced to take their bands to away games to help the game atmosphere. Should be a list of minimum requirements to fulfill to stay a member school.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yup. bands at away games way more important than, say

Nov 1, 2014, 9:01 PM

paying for smaller sports or education... ;)

Wake is not hurting for money.***

Nov 1, 2014, 9:05 PM

maybe thats because they don't #### it away sending their

Nov 1, 2014, 9:06 PM

band to away games

or fans***

Nov 1, 2014, 9:08 PM

Bro the school is about the size of a large HS

Nov 1, 2014, 9:14 PM

i like the fact that the ACC has some academic standards, and think it has improved our academics over the years. It's one of the things that separates us from the sec's of the world.

I agree, and believe that West Virginia would benefit

Nov 1, 2014, 9:29 PM

strongly in that regard from such an affiliation with the ACC.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TLDR***

Nov 1, 2014, 9:14 PM

Remember the true purpose of a university?

Nov 1, 2014, 9:38 PM

To educate people!!

Geeze people. It's not all about football all the time.

Wake Forest is a really good school academically. Good for the ACC.

Not suggesting closing Wake Forest down. Of course they're

Nov 2, 2014, 7:35 PM

a fine institution, I just don't see where they belong in this Power 5 style of collegiate sports leagues that has taken root. You might find the administration and whatever governing body that runs things there open to the idea. The collegiate conference landscape has changed, for better or worse, and the demands of competing athletically at this level and contributing to the overall health of league members have risen considerably. This model doesn't work for every institution any longer, and it doesn't have to.

A less demanding league could benefit a school like Wake Forest that simply doesn't have the size and infrastructure to operate and build at this level in the short or long term. It's expensive and commands a lot of resources. It's not like anyone has to sever academic ties with them, and they'd likely keep the other NC schools on their OOC FB schedule in some type of rotation.

Re: Not suggesting closing Wake Forest down. Of course they're

Nov 2, 2014, 9:21 PM

Miami annoys me much worse than Wake. It makes me mad to watch Miami playing in an empty stadium on national television.

That's a great idea.

Nov 2, 2014, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Not suggesting closing Wake Forest down. Of course they're ]

Let's just close all the power 5 schools down and make minor league football conferences.

What's the point of educating the populace at all when we can just focus on football instead??

Offering a high quality education and achieving

Nov 2, 2014, 9:54 PM

success in athletics are not mutually exclusive (unless you're an AFAM major at UNC).

The college athletic landscape is passing Wake Forest by, and I don't believe that their alumni, trustees, faculty and administration can stomach what it's going to take to be both a top flight college AND compete in this new environment, and there's no putting Jack back in the box on what's happening at the top level.

I have nothing against Wake Forest, and I'm looking forward to a traditional Deacon's Dinner TV tailgate Thursday night in honor of our opponents, but this kind of thing just may be the 'out' they're looking for. Better to be proactive in this regard as a conference and maintain control of our own destiny on a competitive front.

To sweeten the pot, the league could offer a Notre Dame-like OOC guarantee to keep other ACC programs on Wake's FB and BB schedule for the foreseeable future, working with schools to broker dates. I'm sure most schools would want to continue to play them, especially the ACC old guard.

Stop this West Virginia junk....

Nov 1, 2014, 9:39 PM

even the Big East didn't care when they left.

Re: I propose a 3-way conference trade to occur post haste.

Nov 1, 2014, 9:44 PM

I like post haste,but I hate that over used term "moving forward."

Re: I propose a 3-way conference trade to occur post haste.

Nov 2, 2014, 8:13 PM

I wish conferences could contract instead of expand. And consider geography and traditional rivals as a key in making decisions.

I'd much rather see Clemson playing UNC, UVA and Duke every year instead of Syracuse and BC.

There's nothing wrong with Wake. They've won as many ACC championships as we have in the last 20 years. Wake represents tradition, one of the remaining 6 charter members and you shouldn't just throw that overboard bc a TV sports network is suddenly in bed with the SEC. I'm not sure how, but that will eventually collapse of its own weight.

I'm glad Clemson is in the ACC and I'm glad we've played Wake every year since 1953. I believe the only other schools we have played as long consecutively are USuC and NCSU.

Just throw them out and put Dook with them.

Nov 2, 2014, 8:23 PM

They spend all their football income on BB anyway.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke is finally starting to invest in their football program

Nov 2, 2014, 9:18 PM

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209674388

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Is Duke your second favorite ACC team?***

Nov 2, 2014, 9:23 PM

How do we get rid of Syracuse?***

Nov 2, 2014, 8:29 PM

Give Wake all that money and they would probably waste it on

Nov 2, 2014, 11:11 PM

Edumacation!,,,,,,,

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting concept, but I don't believe Clemson or many of

Nov 3, 2014, 6:01 AM

its fans, for that matter, would support any move to oust Wake.

Wake's generally been a good friend and at times a viable competitor. They initially strongly opposed the additional penalties by the ACC against us in the 80's, and their fans have been pretty good people to mingle with at games.

Not all programs are going to be powers on the gridiron, and if the ACC is typical, then I'd rather have Wake Forest continuing as a member.

Lastly, I don't believe the conferences will remain aligned, as they are now. Eventually, I believe there will be four super-conferences. Thus, the ACC needs to be seriously laying the groundwork now by flirting with additional programs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic