Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Considering a move to Atlanta... Help with neighborhoods
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Considering a move to Atlanta... Help with neighborhoods

May 27, 2020, 9:41 PM

We’ve been living in California and would like to move back to the southeast so are doing some research on Atlanta. It’s been over a decade since I spent any time there, so was wondering what input fellow tigers may have.

My wife and I are very social and active, so we would prefer to be in a neighborhood with lots of restaurants and proximity to a nice park. I liked the areas around Piedmont Park, but it’s been a while.

For work, I have flexibility in terms of an office, so commute really isn’t an issue. We’ve also been city dwellers for a while, and probably aren’t ready to move to the burbs but do want a house with a yard where we can entertain. Bonus points if we can also walk to restaurants.

Any suggestions on hoods we should check out?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Draft Board - College Fantasy Sports

Launching this fall. Visit http://www.thedraftboard.com to sign up for early access!

I prolly wouldn't live in the ATL again, but if'n I did...

May 28, 2020, 6:24 AM

well, it has changed a lot and the only constant in the ATL is change.

I have friends who moved from here (Virginia) to Inman Park. They like it, but were surprised recently to have crime in their 'hood. Well, you're going to have that in the ATL.

I always liked Decatur, but have no idea how it is now. Also, the area around Chastain Park, but by the time you get that far out you're not really in the area you were describing.

All of these areas are pricey, but prolly not compared to what you're used to in Cali. Good luck!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mechanicsville, Pittsburgh, Grove Park...

May 28, 2020, 7:04 AM

College Park near Georgia Tech, really anything south of I-20 is great! Near the amphitheater in the Lakewood area would be another great option.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Those are all great areas for really social folks!

May 28, 2020, 7:42 AM

Plenty of options there as far as clubs to join, too.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take this one

May 28, 2020, 8:42 AM

a little tough to give you a suggestion based on not knowing where you're going to work...

Piedmont park is the gayborhood...guard your b-whole. may be cool w/ that b/c cali

couldn't pay me to live in Inman, Grant, Edgewood, Little 5, all those new gentrified areas but that may be your speed given the Cali origin. I'd throw decatur into here too

VA Highlands, Morningside, Ansley park - all good places. pretty liberal, trendy, super expensive, should be a nice transition from Cali

Vinings / Smyrna is on the NW side of town by SunTrust park. decent area, still a lot of riff raff as they push people out. lived there for a few years and enjoyed it. commute anywhere from here sucks which is why we moved (unless obviously you're working at cobb galleria)

Buckhead is Buckhead.

"uptown" baically btwn midtown and buckhead (Linbdbergh, Peachtree Battle, etc.) are pretty decent. similar look to Va Highlands but closer to buckhead (aka farther from downtown).

brookhaven, chamblee, sandy springs (my current area) - good in between spot of burbs and VA Highlands and best location in terms of traffic (the only thing that matters here). expensive AF, still seems a little liberal, every mom seems to be a dime. kids everywhere b/c schools are good

burbs are burbs. east cobb you'll probably hate b/c cali. same with woodstock and some of the gwinett county burbs. I love me some ####### and Flowery Branch areas though. unless you're one of those cali bros that "grew up in the hills" likely won't stay here long...commute would suck ### but you get more space from the idiots in town. peachtree city is good if you're looking to work at the airport

i'm going to call you an idiot for the following places. anywhere south of i20 not downtown, west midtown, west OTP until you get to carrolton (highly doubt this is in the cards b/c cali), anything clayton county, panthersville, etc.

Marietta

May 28, 2020, 8:47 AM

get a house as close to the big chicken as possible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Decatur

May 28, 2020, 10:15 AM

You just described the City of Decatur. Lots of neighborhoods walking distance to MANY awesome restaurants.

Decatur is a bit expensive for ATL, but coming from CA it might not be a big deal.

The Decatur Square has the most awesome restaurants per square mile compared to anywhere I've visited (I travel for a living)

https://www.visitdecaturgeorgia.com/visit

https://www.tripadvisor.com/RestaurantsNear-g34895-d258602-Decatur_s_Square-Decatur_Georgia.html

The Oakhurst neighborhood is pretty cool too

https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/home--garden/putting-down-roots-here-why-atlanta-families-are-flocking-historic-oakhurst/VntL4mtHqx5QiepIjFbusL/

Also, in Decatur you can slay the b*tch like

May 28, 2020, 10:25 AM

Darth Vader

because it rhymes

...Let's say her name was Suzy Skrew, cause she screwed a lot
Making a ##### hit that chonk, at legitimate spots
Not no parks, backseats or things of that nature
Had to hate ya player, I'm dicking the ho down never said I paid her
Straight laid her, slayed the ##### like Darth Vader, made her
From College Park and Fayette, all the way down to Decatur...

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duluth, Peachtree corners, Sandy Springs

May 28, 2020, 10:21 AM

are all places I have never lived but they seem nice.

I have relatives who have lived there. I also have relatives in Brookhaven, and what I guess would be considered Briarlake? All nice areas with parks, etc. My uncle has a place right in Brookhaven and can walk to tons of great restaurants, etc. But he's lived there for 40 years, so he's watched it change from little tiny two room houses to McMansions.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also have a friend who lives in Peachtree city and is

May 28, 2020, 10:24 AM

freaking obsessed with it. So obsessed that she has a ridiculous mountain house on what must be the highest peak in Boone and she bought a second house in Peachtree city just to be able to spend a week a month there because reasons.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

West End

May 28, 2020, 1:01 PM

it's the new hip spot.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alpharetta.

May 28, 2020, 1:27 PM

It's generic as any city--anywhere. In fact, It could be anywhere, and you wouldn't even know the difference.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is Commerce an official suburb of Atlanta yet?

May 28, 2020, 3:52 PM

if not, won't be long. ATL city creep has become boundless.

I'd tend northeast, easier to get to Clemson games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Atlanta’s a confusing city to figure out

May 28, 2020, 11:16 PM

Because neighborhoods form pockets that don’t really radiate from the city center.

I’ve lived in Grant Park for 13 years. Comments above about south if I-20 are not accurate. Most of East Atlanta Village, and pretty much all of Ormewood Park, Glenwood Park, and Grant Park are all quite safe and long gentrified. All of these are great for totally different reasons, but not a lot of bargains to be found there anymore.

Do you have kids? If so, there are specific schools that are preferable. Oakhurst Village, Lake Claire, Inman Park, Druid Hills, Virginia Highlands, Ansley Park, and Decatur all come to mind.

If not, Brookhaven and Old 4th Ward have boomed. West End and Summerhill (yes, by the old Ted) are booming. I’ve also always liked Avondale Estates and Collier Hills.

You are going to need to be a lot more specific about your price point and ideal neighborhood to narrow down this list. I know of at least two fantastic Victorians right now around Grant Park for ~$800k:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/620-Boulevard-Se-Atlanta-GA-30312/35867540_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/366-Oakland-Ave-SE-Atlanta-GA-30312/35877907_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Considering a move to Atlanta... Help with neighborhoods

May 29, 2020, 6:41 PM

Thanks all. We've decided not to move and will instead be building a roller coaster.

Seriously, thanks for the recs. Even the sarcastic ones.

The Draft Board - College Fantasy Sports

Launching this fall. Visit http://www.thedraftboard.com to sign up for early access!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic