Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Private gun sales now criminal in New Mexico
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 75
| visibility 1

Private gun sales now criminal in New Mexico

Mar 9, 2019, 8:07 PM

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/03/09/new-mexicos-democrat-governor-signs-bill-to-criminalize-private-gun-sales/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Private gun sales now criminal in New Mexico

Mar 9, 2019, 8:15 PM

Sounds like a good idea possibly.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."

Mar 10, 2019, 9:49 AM

Thomas Jefferson letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." Patrick Henry, Speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 5, 1778

"For it is a truth, which the experience of ages has attested, that the people are always most in danger when the means of injuring their rights are in the possession of those of whom they entertain the least suspicion."
- Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 25, December 21, 1787

"If circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist."
- Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28, January 10, 1788

"As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms." Philadelphia Federal Gazette, June 18, 1789

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."

Mar 11, 2019, 12:25 PM

I'd respond with a quote from one of the 14 kids shot and killed at Stoneman Douglas or the 20 kids shot and killed at Sandy Hook. Unfortunately, their voices were silenced forever. But feel free to continue to protect yourself from the ever growing British empire.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2019, 12:44 PM

I didn't realize that a gun walked into a school and just started shooting. All this time, I thought there was a person behind the gun that was shooting.

TIL something new.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2019, 12:55 PM

The gun helped

Ban things that make bad things easier.

Mar 11, 2019, 3:42 PM

As long as I don't value them, of course.

And if people disagree with that, they kill children.

Re: Ban things that make bad things easier.

Mar 11, 2019, 8:28 PM

I support gun rights. That doesn't mean I'm going to go along with idiotic arguments to support my position.

And we do ban things that make bad things easier. So you're not using a great argument either.

Mar 12, 2019, 10:24 AM

That is cognitive dissonance.

You cant claim to support gun rights while also supporting infringements on the 2nd Amendment.

Mar 13, 2019, 8:19 AM

Sure I can.

Our basic rights are life, liberty, and property and government regularly infringes on all of those, particularly the middle one.

Is it an idiotic argument that guns don't kill people?***

Mar 12, 2019, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Ban things that make bad things easier. ]

Nice Red Herring fallacy. When you get bored

Mar 11, 2019, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Re: "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." ]

of wrapping yourself up in the death of other people to feel special over the internet... let me know what your specific point is. Meanwhile, I'm not really impressed.

Also, while you are sorting that out, maybe pick up a history book. Those quotes were not about the British Empire. They were about government in general, and especially the U.S. government.

Re: Nice Red Herring fallacy. When you get bored

Mar 11, 2019, 8:04 PM

The founding fathers were afraid of government taking guns because the British took their guns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/1995/05/31/when-the-redcoats-confiscated-guns/e38d0810-af85-4949-8d93-3da746601e65/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jesus Christ dude. You are so far off it hurts me.

Mar 12, 2019, 11:20 AM

Please don't get your history from newspaper opinion pieces.

If you are trying to make the argument that all those quotes had only to do with fear of the British government, then you need to sit the next few plays out and grab an American history book. Seriously. Read the quotes man. Look at the years next to them. Fill your head with historical context. Look at the federalist and anti-federalist papers. Seek counseling of an actual historian.

I wonder what they would say in 2019***

Mar 11, 2019, 4:40 PM [ in reply to "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." ]

null

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wonder what they would day in 2019***

Mar 11, 2019, 5:25 PM

They would think our society is nuts and we need better gun control.

Re: I wonder what they would say in 2019***

Mar 12, 2019, 9:33 AM [ in reply to I wonder what they would say in 2019*** ]

I think they would say "If you don't like it, we have given you the means to change the Constitution"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This magical circumvention of facts is awful.

Mar 12, 2019, 11:24 AM [ in reply to I wonder what they would say in 2019*** ]

Their judgment of government human nature was not based on fads. It was a clear perception into the reality of human nature and they set up timeless guidelines that could stand against trials. They understood a future beyond their comprehension would eventually exist and they talked about it and crafted their statements about government accordingly.

The more you learn about Founding Fathers, the more clearly you can see the constant path that we marched away from their founding ideals. Likely, they would say that our system is irretrievably broken and that we have already wandered into the abyss of arbitrary empire and squandered our civil liberties.

Simply claiming, on a whim, that their assessment of human nature would change so it fits some delusional contemporary political objective is about as anti-intellectual as you can get.

Lol. That’s a bunch of horse shlt. To call the desire

Mar 12, 2019, 11:38 AM

to make the world a safer place a fad is anti-realism and shows you are living in a vacuum.

Quoting the founding fathers over and over is cool and I like reading it but it’s pseudo intellectualism at best.

Anyone who thinks the founding fathers wouldn’t view the world differently today when we have mass shootings monthly, is blind to realism.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your entire perception of mass shootings...

Mar 12, 2019, 11:48 AM

is an absurd, fallacious construction which originated from cynical political maneuvering.

Your ideas about mass shootings are completely out of scale with the rest of reality. And that is because of group-think.

The idea that school shootings relate directly to gun rights is absurd. You are manipulated.

Fundamental ideals about protecting oneself from tyranny do not melt away because of tragedies.

“Protecting oneself from tyranny” in 2019

Mar 12, 2019, 1:22 PM

“is an absurd, fallacious construction which originated from cynical political maneuvering.”

Who the f u c k does more political maneuvering? The NRA or people in this country who truly believe the govt. should take common sense steps to limit shootings? And I know many politicians try to manipulate this to their advantage but a helluva lot more sane people in this country want common sense gun laws than give a dang about protecting oneself from tyranny.

Also, ending private sells of weapons is a common sense gun law and won’t affect your ability to protect youself from tyranny one iota.

Re: “Protecting oneself from tyranny” in 2019

Mar 12, 2019, 2:27 PM

You just demonstrated my point. The fact you thing that protecting ones self from tyranny is an archaic concept shows you are like one of the many characters in history who gives us the most ironic quotes. You suffer from an extreme case of presentism. You have lost all sense of long-term perspective because you have limited your whole world view to a very narrow reality. Human history is thousands of years long. You seem to have mental boundaries from about 50 or so years. It's obvious you can't even conceive of a reality different from what you have become accustomed to.

The fact you use the phrase "common sense gun law/steps" shows that you are simply parroting political talking points. That's the exact, pre-packaged, mindless line that you are conditioned to use. It's nice, simple and appeals to those who do not think deeply about the situation. You are regurgitating political talking points right here.

And yes, the NRA is absolutely involved in political maneuvering. As much as anyone. They play the game they have to to save the 2nd Amendment from the brainwashed hordes. I wish they didn't need to exist, but our Democracy is hell bent on sleep walking right into tyranny.

You’re the master of parroting political talking points.

Mar 12, 2019, 3:00 PM

“Protecting oneself from Tyranny”
“Cynical political maneuvering”
“Group-think”
“Fundamental ideals”
“Delusional political objective”

And you’re right about one thing. I don’t think thousands of years ahead. If I did, climate change would be a huge issue for me.

Let me ask you two questions:

Is climate change a huge issue for you?
Are you really against all gun laws? Should private citizens be able to own bazookas, m60s, and nukes?

Wait hold on... those are political talking points?

Mar 12, 2019, 3:12 PM

I do not recognize any of those quoted phrases to be partisan talking points. If they are, I'm not sure where I would pick them up. I don't follow either party. Heck, I even dislike the two-party system entirely and avoid mainstream news. If I am being subconsciously fed ideas I would be very surprised, but I guess anything is possible.

And how did we end up talking about climate change? I thought we were talking about guns and school shootings. I'm not ready to change the subject yet.

Private citizens can own bazookas, and m60's and artillery pieces. You just have a LOT of red tape to get through. But, yes I believe they should as long as they pass state-mandated qualifications.

As for nukes... it's impossible for a private citizen, except maybe like a multi-billionaire to have a nuclear capability. Because my beliefs about guns are grounded in the constitutional principle of deterring tyranny, I do not believe that one or two super billionaires having nukes would contribute to that ideal. So, I will not advocate for private ownership of nuclear weapons for practical reasons.

Political talking points don’t have to come from dems or

Mar 12, 2019, 3:39 PM

the GOP.

You told me that I can only view the present and I agree because I’m not on board with the govt. placing harsh environmental restrictions on businesses to that end.

Plus, talking about deterring the tyranny of a nuclear power without access to nukes youself is absurd.

Re: Political talking points don’t have to come from dems or

Mar 12, 2019, 3:51 PM

Plus, talking about deterring the tyranny of a nuclear power without access to nukes youself is absurd.

Why do people keep saying this? This simply isn't true. The US won't nuke itself. We don't nuke our foreign enemies either. The scenario is house to house confiscation or a counterinsurgency.

The idea that you need nukes to deter tyranny is 100% false.

So, substitute ballistic missiles

Mar 12, 2019, 4:08 PM

for nukes.

Do you think private citizens should have access to ballistic missiles?

Re: So, substitute ballistic missiles

Mar 12, 2019, 4:40 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/I-do-not-advocate-for-making-ballistic-missiles-legal-for-25182860

Re: Lol. That’s a bunch of horse shlt. To call the desire

Mar 12, 2019, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Lol. That’s a bunch of horse shlt. To call the desire ]

The founding fathers enshrined these rights, particularly the 2nd Amendment, to assure that the citizens always have leverage to remove abusive authority.

The Founding Fathers knew that the world WOULD change, but they could not predict how. However, they absolutely did know that technology would advance drastically, and they knew that if the technology were not extensively proliferated among the citizens to promote liberty and commerce, then it would be used by tyranny to oppress the citizenry.

They did not know how the world would advance or change, they just knew it would. That is why the wrote the bill of rights and established a standard of human rights that transcends societal and technological changes and advancements.

Because they knew someday a "better gun" would be invented, and they knew that if the masses did not have access to the "better gun" to ensure their leverage over abusive power, then future abusive powers would use the "better gun" to oppress citizens.

This is a universal right, and it is a core component of Natural Law and Nature. It stems from your right to exist. In order to exist, you must acquire food and shelter. Note "Acquire", not "entitled". At some point, resources will prove scarce and you must compete. Unfortunately, that means some people will use force to acquire resources or take them from you. Thus, when presented with the potential or realized threat of violence being leveraged against you, you have the right to respond in kind with violence to protect your right to exist.

When someone attacks you with a fist to steal your berries and your cave-shelter, you hit them with a stick. When they come back with a bigger, sharpened stick, you use a slingshot. When they come back throwing spears, your respond with a bow. When they come back with a crossbow, you use a musket. When they come back with a black powder rifle, you respond with a lever action. When they come back with a bolt action, you respond with an AR-15.

This is a fundamental human right that is enshrined with the technology of the current era. The right to defend your life is fundamental and preempts every other right. You cannot have the right to freedom or speech, or to be secure in your person from search and seizure, or not implicate yourself, if you cannot first defend your life. You cannot defend your existence or the rest of your rights if you cannot wield the necessary firepower to repeal modern threats.

In Washington's day, it was muskets, and cannons. Yes, there were private citizens (wealthy ones), who owned private vessels which maintained batteries of cannons. There were ships under private ownership which held enough firepower to lay siege to coastal cities. I recall a story of a church near the outskirts of Boston which maintained a cannon as they were near an area that frequently suffered from Native American attacks and attacks from bands of criminals.

Furthermore, our country has always had a law on the books called the "Militia Act", which is still a law today although it is not enforced, unfortunately. It was first enacted in the 1700's and updated frequently until WW2. The Militia Act was a derivative of the 2nd Amendment and clearly stated that not only do private citizens have the right to own guns virtually unregulated, but that all "men of the household" (later updated to just "adult citizens") should maintain a high-quality rifle identical in caliber to the rifles issued to the Army infantry, and enough ammunition and additional supplies so that individual could maintain living in a combat zone for a number of weeks, and that said citizen (all citizens) must be proficient with said rifle.

So, stop. You clearly do not understand the issue at hand.

You’re a dumb f u c k if you’re actually believe

Mar 12, 2019, 2:21 PM

private citizens should have access to bazookas, M-60s, and, gulp, nuclear weapons.

Please tell me you don’t mean that.

And what should we call you if you...

Mar 12, 2019, 2:30 PM

trust the government so much more than the citizens?

For the people but NOT by the people, am I right? For the people, because the people need a babysitter.

Re: You’re a dumb f u c k if you’re actually believe

Mar 12, 2019, 2:54 PM [ in reply to You’re a dumb f u c k if you’re actually believe ]

No one said nuclear weapons. That is so utterly stupid and so far beyond anything a firearm does.

Comparing guns to nuclear weapons is the equivalent of comparing apples to nuclear weapons. Its not even the same argument.

Likewise....citizens CAN own "bazookas", and fully automatic machine guns. Unfortunately, they are rather expensive, so they are uncommon. But it is not illegal.

There is nothing unreasonable about owning a fully automatic M-4. I can already own a semi-automatic AR-15 that I can shoot pretty #### fast with a lightweight trigger and practice.
I own another rifle chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum, which I regularly shoot accurately out to 1 mile at a long range club I attend (and it can still kill at that range too).
I own a few shotguns, which can fire an inch wide slug of lead with enough force to drop a grizzly bear in its tracks, or spray a handful of quarter inch sized balls of lead buckshot, or spray phosphorous rounds that burn on contact (called "dragon's breath")

Fully automatic weapons are no more lethal than any other firearm on the market. They are no different in lethality, or function, or form, and their regulation is arbitrary.

You said that the private citizens should have access to

Mar 12, 2019, 3:10 PM

the “better gun”.

How is this better gun going to defeat nuclear weapons.

Let’s say all you gun yahoos defeat the Texas national Guard and take over Texas. You then send all sane Texans to live in Oklahoma.

The U.S. would then nuke the shlt out of you because all you would have would be bazookas, M-60s, AK-47s, etc.

YEEEHAAAW!

Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq ...***

Mar 12, 2019, 3:22 PM

Good point. Substitute ballistic misslies for nukes.

Mar 12, 2019, 3:45 PM

Do you think private citizens should have access to ballistic missiles?

Still too expensive. Impractical. Maybe states should have

Mar 12, 2019, 3:52 PM

them.

But legal, huh?***

Mar 12, 2019, 4:09 PM

I do not advocate for making ballistic missiles legal for

Mar 12, 2019, 4:38 PM

private citizens. Currently.

Re: Good point. Substitute ballistic misslies for nukes.

Mar 13, 2019, 8:04 AM [ in reply to Good point. Substitute ballistic misslies for nukes. ]

There is no equivalency between ICBMs and Nukes to small arms.... are you stupid or something?

You’re the one who brought up citizens needing

Mar 13, 2019, 8:54 AM

to own guns just as big as the govt. to protect themselves from govt. tyranny.

I’m just pointing out that this isn’t possible in today’s world.

Don’t you agree?

I don't agree. And the history of counterinsurgency

Mar 14, 2019, 1:28 PM

proves that pretty plainly.

Re: You’re the one who brought up citizens needing

Mar 15, 2019, 3:52 PM [ in reply to You’re the one who brought up citizens needing ]

No, I dont, because it is demonstrably false.

The most technologically advance military in the world got its ### kicked by rice farmers armed with 1920's techology in Vietnam, and has struggled immensely fighting arab militants int he Middle East using 1940s technology.

Fully automatic weapons are designed to target lots of

Mar 12, 2019, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: You’re a dumb f u c k if you’re actually believe ]

people in a shorter amount of time. Militarily they are primarily for suppression, but if used in a mass shooting context, they would definitely be more deadly in close quarters or against a massive crowd.

I do believe in the regulation of fully automatic weapons by local authorities. People need to pass a rigid background check and have a waiting period and pass a qualification course. But not banning them outright.

The biggest thing is targeted gun control. Anyone on SSRI anti-depressants should not be allowed to touch a gun. Just like people who are intoxicated should not be carrying a gun. Those are choices people can make.

Re: This magical circumvention of facts is awful.

Mar 12, 2019, 1:30 PM [ in reply to This magical circumvention of facts is awful. ]

They were looking at the world around them at the moment. That had no earthly idea what the future held. They are just fallible men like men today are.

Of course they are fallible, but the did acknowledge the

Mar 12, 2019, 2:17 PM

the future. The idea that ideals have a shelf-life only makes sense if people are being presentist. Human nature and logic are a constant. They dealt with those things better than people today.

Re: Of course they are fallible, but the did acknowledge the

Mar 12, 2019, 2:32 PM

Youre just a nutcase and have no clue about the world around you. No Einstein, they had no clue what the future really held.

You completely missed my point.***

Mar 12, 2019, 2:33 PM

Re: You completely missed my point.***

Mar 12, 2019, 2:39 PM

I got your point. It was a simple point
It was human nature being constant. That had very little to do with the reality of technology, progress, and the situations that world will face. They had no clue what the world would be like and their opinions were based on what they knew then. If tney knew what the world was like now, they would have adapted their opinions. You know why? Because human nature is constant and thats what we do. We adapt. Their opinions would have varied in many ways from how they felt back then. They were just men. They werent gods. Youre mind is getting to you as usual.

So if human nature is constant, and they wrote

Mar 12, 2019, 2:55 PM

about human nature and power, then the addition of new technology doesn't change the fundamental arguments they made.

They didn't say that we need the 2nd Amendment unless there are more destructive weapons. They said we need the 2nd Amendment because of the fact, which is as true 5000 years ago as it is today, that the only way to ensure leverage is to have the ability to physically defend yourself.

That doesn't change if you are using rocks or plasma rifles.

They did not make specific predictions about specific technologies, but they understood that change beyond their comprehension would happen, so they crafted a system that was based on things that wouldn't change. Human nature, and the logic of government.

Not everything changes with technology.

Re: So if human nature is constant, and they wrote

Mar 13, 2019, 6:49 AM

Some of their fundamentals would change and some would not. They would adapt. They were just men. They were no different than men today. People turn them into come sort clairvoyant gods. They were clueless in many ways, just like all men are.

Mar 12, 2019, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: You completely missed my point.*** ]

The right to defend yourself and your life is constant as well. The need does not change. You will always be responsible for your life. Technology changes, but that does not mean you lose your right to protect yourself, it simply means that the MEANS with which you protect yourself must also change and update with the technology.

How do you expect to reasonably defend yourself and protect your other rights if you cannot defend your own life?

If you lack sufficient means to defend yourself, then you will always exist at the mercy of those who have the means to oppress you.

Yes, technology and society change, but you are utterly stupid if you think the Founding Fathers would not realize this. This is why the 2nd Amendment remains. Tyranny takes many forms and will also adapt to the most modern era. Tyrants will find new ways to control people through new technologies and means, but the GOALS of tyranny always remain constant: to control the PEOPLE. Regardless of technology, or wealth, or economic conditions, or any other establishment of society, the end goal of authoritarian tyrants is to control the PEOPLE. This can be accomplished a number of ways, but if the people possess the means to resist, then tyranny is futile or extremely difficult.

The 2nd Amendment enshrines a fundamental human right, and just because technology changes does not mean that people should be made defenseless.

Mar 13, 2019, 6:43 AM

Nobody other than felons are being denied the right to defend themselves. I didn't have to read past your first sentence.

Mar 13, 2019, 8:10 AM

No, YOU are missing the point.

You are making the erroneous claim that the 2nd Amendment is antiquated, no longer relevant, and is not a human right. You are also arguing that the Founding Fathers were not intelligent enough to predict technological advancement or social advancement, and thus, you state that you believe the 2nd Amendment to be shortsighted and irrelevant in today's society.

I am telling you that you are wrong, and that the 2nd Amendment is a right that enshrines the natural human right to self defense by ensuring humans have access to the most relevant modern weaponry in order to repel modern threats.

The 2nd Amendment is a universal right, the only aspect of the 2nd that changes are the weapons we may carry. 500 years ago, the 2nd would've protected private ownership of swords and spears. 150 years ago the 2nd protected black powder rifles and cannons. Today the 2nd Amendment protects the right to own semi-automatic and fully automatic weapons. Why? Because if citizens do not have access to the latest, advanced small arms technology, then people who DO have access to the latest weaponry will use it to control civilians through a monopoly on violence.

Please advance you reading comprehension.

Mar 13, 2019, 3:40 PM

You ramble like an idiot that you are. It is antiquated to an extent. There are levels of what are within reason due to technology. You're dumber than dirt.

Intelligent people notice your style of argument.

Mar 14, 2019, 9:14 AM

And this has nothing to do with the position you are taking. It is completely legitimate to argue that part of the constitution is obsolete. I strongly disagree with that position but it is certainly potentially a reasonable take. It’s a good debate to have. But your style of debate is awful. He is clearly thinking about this much more deeply than you are. Your answers are insulting, simple and largely emotional. It’s very predictable how you start to close up to new information get angry, and then just start going Alex Jones on people. Part of me finds it hilarious that you have so much in common with Alex Jones, despite your opinion of him, but I would prefer it if you offered more of a valuable counterpoint so that we may all benefit more from this dialectic.

Re: Intelligent people notice your style of argument.

Mar 14, 2019, 10:14 AM

You're not thinking deeply at all. I don't think you have that ability. Moreover, read your last comment. You're so emotional. You're projecting. Your turning our founding father into Gods. It doesn't get less deep than that. I will just put in layman's terms. You're dumb.

Ok. I'm actually not 100% if you are being sarcastic there.

Mar 14, 2019, 1:15 PM

You checked, like exactly, every single box I made when I just described you.

Quick short sentences. Loaded with bottom-barrel insults. And you took about every point I made and quickly just flipped it over and tossed it back at me without any original thought. And you even ended it with "You're dumb." LOL

I can't figure out if you just can't help behaving exactly how I described, or if you are messing with me and poking fun at yourself. I'm leaning towards you being serious, but that was so obviously exactly how I described that I'm not sure.

Either way, you can definitely have the last word if you want it. I'm moving on to something with intellectual value.

Good***

Mar 11, 2019, 4:41 PM

Re: Good***

Mar 12, 2019, 3:15 PM

Yes, lets infringe on people's rights.

Can't they move out of New Mexico

Mar 13, 2019, 12:50 AM

If guns are that important to them?

Mar 13, 2019, 8:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Good*** ]

How are their rights infringed upon?

Mar 13, 2019, 8:32 AM

Requiring background checks for any gun sale violates the Due Process clause of the Constitution.

Also, there are people who are not legally prohibited from buying a gun, but the NICS background check prevents them from doing so. I know 2 situations where this applies right off the bat.

FYI, NICS is the background check system used for all gun purchases at FFLs (licensed gun dealers/gun stores/gun shows).

1. People with common names. When I worked at a couple of gun stores, we always have people get people with common names like "John Smith" or "Mary Taylor" or "James Garcia". Many of these people would fail their NICS check despite having NO criminal record beyond a speeding ticket. These people would have to go to NICS with a lawyer, fingerprints, and a full copy of their criminal record to prove they were innocent. NICS would take their appeal and clear their name in the system. HOWEVER, the system would still deny them due to the name issue. Now, SOME states allow you to bypass the NICS check if you have a Concealed Weapons Permit, but not all of them. I knew a gentleman who had no criminal record and moved to South Carolina so he could receive a CWP that allowed him to bypass NICS, because despite going through the NCIS appeal process 4 times to clear his name, NICS still refused to let him pass his background check. He had a common name and this was a chronic issue. Also, many people cant afford the lengthy legal process to go through the NICS appeal process, and many states dont allow CWP's to bypass NICS. These people have no criminal record, so why should they be prohibited from purchasing a firearm? Their only option at this point would be to purchase a gun through a local private sale, or receive one as a gift. Requiring a background check for this bars them from exercising their 2nd Amendment right without Due Process.

2. In recent years with marijuana legalization, legal marijuana users with no prior criminal history or felonies are being denied the right to buy a gun through NICS. Marijuana is Schedule 1 and illegal at the federal level, however simple possession and consumption is only a misdemeanor in states where it is illegal, and is not a crime in states where it IS legal (obviously) or if the individual has a medical marijuana license (MMJ). Now, the Firearm Owners Protection Act makes it illegal for the government to make lists and database registries of gun owners. However, there is no law prohibiting the government from making a database of people who hold MMJ licenses. Since MMJ is illegall Federally, the Feds will raid state-legal dispensaries and the medical records of doctors who issue MMJ licenses. The Feds then take the lists of MMJ license holders and upload their names into the NICS system as prohibited persons. Here is where it gets even more convoluted: for "regular" criminals that have a criminal record that temporarily suspends or indefinitely prohibits them from owning a gun (felony or domestic violence), the criminal must prove they have "done their time" and had their record expunged, or in the case of felons, have gone through the process to have their rights restored. There is a standard legal process they can go through to prove they can earn their rights back and own a gun. After having their record expunged or rights restored, they can go through the formal appeal process at NICS so that they are no longer a "prohibited person" in the NICS system. HOWEVER, for MMJ holders with NO criminal record, there is no such process. Once you have an MMJ card, the government effectively believes that you are now and forever a chronic drug addict of a schedule 1 substance. There is currently no formal appeal process that allows you to prove you arent using marijuana. A lady in Colorado received an MMJ card simply as a political protest, she never even consumed any cannabis, yet she is prohibited in NICS now and has been told there is no way to reverse her prohibited status. There is no federally recognized process to destroy your MMJ card or get it revoked according to the Feds. Meaning, once you get an MMJ card, there is no way to rescind it and prove to the Feds that you deserve to pass a NICS check. Ergo, if you get an MMJ license, you are effectively prohibited from ever passing a NICS check for the rest of your life, or until marijuana is legalized at the Federal level (who knows when that will happen). People with MMJ licenses who have no criminal record and use cannabis for legitimate medical reasons cannot pass a NICS check. We also know the corrupt story regarding how marijuana was categorized as a schedule 1 drug too. That is unfair, it is not right to deny someone their 2nd Amendment rights without Due Process in such a manner. Remember, using and simply possessing marijuana is not a crime that prevents your from OWNING a gun according to the Federal government and every state in the country. However, if you admit to using marijuana you are prohibited from passing a NICS check. If you toke, you can legally own a gun, but you cant legally pass a NICS check. If you cant legally pass a NICS check, then you cant legally buy a gun from an FFL. That means, the only legal way for someone with an MMJ License to purchase a firearm for self defense is through a private sale that doesnt use a NICS check. Do you think that is fair?

Mar 13, 2019, 3:59 PM

Long story short, you're an idiot who doesn't care about America or people in general. You're dumber than dirt to top it off. Good work, bud.

Mar 15, 2019, 3:54 PM

I just explained to you, in detail, how the NICS background check system works, and explained its flaws, that stem from my first hand experience. How does that make me an idiot? You were the one that refused to read it.

God, you are such an ignorant ####.

The law does not make private gun sales illegal.

Mar 12, 2019, 10:42 AM

The new bill requires background checks for most private sales, it doesn't prevent them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have guns. Within arms reach of where I sit right at this

Mar 13, 2019, 9:15 PM

moment. But by god, if people who don't argue over having them taken aways aren't a bunch of T-total ###gots, I don't know what is.

Good God. May the lord never cause me to attach my personal or political identity to a ####### tool.

I think this may help internet trolls like you...

Mar 14, 2019, 1:28 PM

I feel like, if you address these 5 key topics, you will lose the desire to posture yourself in such an obvious way over the internet. Yes it applies to tiny dogs, but I think there are some clear overlaps. Give it a shot!

This Is Why Small Dogs Bark More Than Big Dogs
For what they lack in size they make up for in their bark
By Catalina Barrios

Have you ever asked yourself why small dogs bark so much, and sometimes even louder than big dogs? Well, you’re about to find out why.

Something to consider when your small dog barks so much is analyzing their behavior.

1. Asserting leadership

We may have the tendency of treating small dogs like babies, but this is not the best thing to do as they will think they are the ones in charge. Because they feel they rule your home, they will bark as loud as they can to get your attention. They also feel they are responsible for protecting your home and they will bark who gets close to you.

2. Boredom

The last thing a dog wants is to feel she is being left out. By keeping your dog active it will reduce the intensity and loudness of their barking. Small dogs who bark all day do so because they are calling for attention; they feel lonely. This loneliness makes them feel stressed which could cause them to be destructive and aggressive. If you are going to be away for a long time, leave your dog with toys that will keep him entertained.

3. Training

Every dog needs to be trained. You may think that because your dog is small, they don’t need to be trained since they are easier to pick up, scoop up, and move around. If a dog is trained, they will stop barking when you tell them to. If your small dog is not trained, don’t worry, because you can still train them as small dogs are fast learners!

4. Fear

When Marley, my parents’ dog, sits by the window, he barks uncontrollably when he sees other people or dogs pass by. He does this to let my parents’ know that someone “bigger” than him is outside. Next time your dog barks at the window or at the door, walk towards the window and look outside and then tell your dog to stop barking. He will see that if you are not afraid, there is no reason for him to be afraid either. It is good to reward them when they stop barking with a treat.

5. Socializing

Small dogs need to spend time with people and other dogs. Just because they are small, that doesn’t mean they need to be alone all the time. By socializing with others, they will bark less as they will feel less scared. The more they engage with bigger dogs and people, the more comfortable they will feel around them and chances are, they will stop barking so often.

You can train your dog to reduce their barking by using positive and negative reinforcement. Praise them when they don’t bark at a particular trigger. If you want them to stop barking, tell them to stop or squirt some water at their face. When they stop, reward him for being quiet.
Loneliness doesn’t breed silence

Don’t leave your dog alone and without any toys for a long period of time. They will get bored, feel lonely, and may turn aggressive.
Stay active

Dogs are active. Set up a routine with your dog so he knows at a particular time of the day you will go for a nice walk with him.

https://getleashedmag.com/2017/09/19/this-is-why-small-dogs-bark-more-than-big-dogs/

Re: I think this may help internet trolls like you...

Mar 14, 2019, 4:08 PM

Yoy took rhe time for of that. Youre dumber than I thought. What an idiot. Haha that was gold.

Triggered***

Mar 14, 2019, 6:54 PM [ in reply to I think this may help internet trolls like you... ]

If you want to rile someone up you can't be so transparent.

Mar 14, 2019, 8:56 PM

I just enjoy talking to b*tches so they know they are b*tches. If your defense mechanism when you feel like a b*tch is being the 10 millionth tweenager to say "triggered," then keep at it. I'm totally satisfied with that exchange. Say it again if you like.

Lol. neckbeard city over here.

Mar 14, 2019, 9:35 PM

Don't think I'ver every seen someone take message boards so seriously yet presume not to at the same time.

Kill yourself, lame.

Re: Lol. neckbeard city over here.

Mar 15, 2019, 5:02 AM

He's an idiot. Let him rant.

Stop being a sycophant for people who carry your water.

Mar 15, 2019, 11:04 AM

It's unbecoming.

Re: Stop being a sycophant for people who carry your water.

Mar 15, 2019, 11:05 AM

You tried. That's what matters.

Re: Stop being a sycophant for people who carry your water.

Mar 15, 2019, 3:57 PM

You're entire argument is "guns are bad. People who like guns are ####### idiots" You're a ####### idiot if you disagree with me."

I could say "Hey, water is wet, and this is why", and your response would be "I'm not reading that, you ramble like an idiot, #### you."

My goal was simply to throw your sh*t back in your face.

Mar 15, 2019, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Lol. neckbeard city over here. ]

You wanted to just make people angry. I wanted to just flip it back on you. Now that you responded twice and even got so upset as you tell me to kill myself, I can confirm I got what I wanted.

Replies: 75
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic