Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone else like boiled peanuts?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Anyone else like boiled peanuts?

May 21, 2015, 10:02 PM

Just had a can of Peanut patch, good and salty. I remember working for Jerry's Pizza in Central my Junior year and having someone call in and ask for them on their pie, and I obliged.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone else like boiled peanuts?

May 22, 2015, 12:07 AM

If someone doesn't like them it's because they didn't try them

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2015, 12:09 AM

I am tempted to drive 15 miles back to the store to get another can.

they really are good on a pizza, you have not lived until have tried that.

My serious reply....

May 22, 2015, 10:37 AM

Never had boiled peanuts out of a can. Here's how you get the good ones.

First, you have to buy them from someone on the side of the road. And before you buy them, check out the guy selling them carefully, and the equipment he has. They should be in a large 55-gallon drum (not marked toxic waste). Preferably a large stainless steel or aluminium pot. He should fish them out with something homemade, like a Maxwell House coffee can with holes poked in the side affixed to an old axe handle.

And finally, check out the seller's hygiene. The greasier the hair, the better. The more teeth missing, the better. The dirtier and more holes in the clothes, the better.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My serious reply....

May 22, 2015, 11:17 AM

they sell the good ones on the side of the road down here, just in a different spot every day. Oh, and there are some greasy folks around here for sure lol.

And that was a serious answer. really.

May 22, 2015, 1:45 PM

Growing up as a kid and going to Clemson games, we used to stay with my grandparents in Anderson. Every Saturday morning going to the game we would stop by and get peanuts from the old guy on the side of the road at the intersection of Old Portman Rd. and Highway whatever...on the way to Clemson.

The guy usually wore overalls that looked like a mechanic had slept in them for a month. Sometimes he wore a shirt underneath, as it got colder. He had about a half-quart of 10w40 in his hair. He smiled and literally every other tooth was missing. He used a 55-gallon drum and had a wood/coal fire underneath. He had an old Maxwell House coffee can, rigged to an old axe handle for scooping. Holes had been poked in the coffee can to let the water drain.

To this day his boiled peanuts are the ones to beat. Nothing from a can can come close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And that was a serious answer. really.

May 22, 2015, 1:59 PM

my mom used to make them after we moved from the south up to New Jersey. You literally can only find them in a handful of states. Being from Florida originally, I grew up on them.

And you like the canned ones?

May 23, 2015, 1:29 PM

Maybe peanuts are like collards, and there's one brand in a can that's good. Growing up collard greens were a hit and miss thing. It all depended, like the peanuts, on the cook. Glory collard greens in the can are decent and I will eat them, although they're not as good as the collards I was raised on, but I still get them because it saves a lot of time cooking them. Maybe I will try the canned peanuts once and see if it's palatable. It's much easier though to cook peanuts than collard greens, so there's hope I guess.

Agreed, Glory will do when you can't have fresh. *******

May 23, 2015, 1:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And you like the canned ones?

May 23, 2015, 2:18 PM [ in reply to And you like the canned ones? ]

yeah, do not mind the canned ones., must be the salt. You are right though, nothing beats the real thing.

Peanut Patch is not real boiled peanuts

May 22, 2015, 7:32 AM

They sell them in a pouch in Death Valley and they are awful.

My Nana made the real thing in a pressure cooker. In fact, I think I've just decided to buy a pressure cooker.

Redneck caviar; they're great with beer, too.

May 22, 2015, 7:34 AM

I like 'em a little spicy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

I don't understand how one cannot like them

May 22, 2015, 8:13 AM

The canned Peanut Patches are actually not bad in a pinch. Somehow Clemson manages to ruin everything the stadium canteen sales by removing flavor and adding diarrhea-inducing particulates.

I bought a pressure cooker just for them. I like just salt and water and don't like to fancy them up with cajun seasoning. It always baffles me that everytime I see a non-southerner eat one, they try to eat the hull. That's probably why they don't catch on up there.

You don't eat the hull?

May 22, 2015, 1:48 PM

You sound dainty.

Then I....THROW IT ON THE GROUND!***

May 22, 2015, 1:53 PM

I eat the hull on roasted peanuts. ********

May 23, 2015, 1:46 PM [ in reply to You don't eat the hull? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love 'em, but never had them out of a can.

May 22, 2015, 8:20 AM

The key is to get the ones that were boiled as green peanuts, instead of dried (those are the ones that are very dark/black). Green ones are the true manna from heaven.

Boiled peanuts are one of the main things that make life worth living.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You've never had them out of a can but have you had them in

May 22, 2015, 8:27 AM

the can?

If so, you may need to go to the DMB concert tonight too.

Re: Love 'em, but never had them out of a can.

May 22, 2015, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Love 'em, but never had them out of a can. ]

Someone corrected me on this once so I thought I would pass it along. If it's tender enough to be eaten as a boiled peanut, then it WAS green when they boiled it.

In other words, I'm not sure if there's a scenario where you could boil an already salt-roasted peanut and have it come out resembling what we know as a boiled peanut.

I've never tried though.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

not roasted - dried raw peanuts

May 22, 2015, 9:01 AM

peanut needs to be raw to boil. Green peanuts go bad (moldy) pretty quickly, so some folks dry them out so they keep better, THEN boil them at a later date. This makes the shell turn black when they are boiled. You get these alot of the time in the little paper bags at the bait shop/filling station. Better than nothing, but not the prime stuff.

If you boil FRESH green peanuts, the shell stays lighter color and the experience is MUCH better. Larger, better texture, and tastier.

I got 40 years or better as a boiled peanut connoisseur, plus having a peanut-growing granddaddy as a boy, I know my way around the world of goobers. I actually love raw peanuts fresh pulled out of the ground just as much as I do boiled. Just can't overdo those or you pay dearly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was pretty informative.

May 22, 2015, 9:05 AM

Thanks

Re: not roasted - dried raw peanuts

May 22, 2015, 9:32 AM [ in reply to not roasted - dried raw peanuts ]

Thank you sir. I see the distinction now

I pay dearly for the boiled ones***

May 22, 2015, 3:20 PM [ in reply to not roasted - dried raw peanuts ]

You know your stuff! All I can add to that

May 23, 2015, 10:25 PM [ in reply to not roasted - dried raw peanuts ]

Is that I like the small reds much better than the big VA peanuts.

I used to catch hell finding green peanuts in the piedmont, NC. People looked at me like I was crazy. The first time I boiled dried raw peanuts, it took over 8 hrs! Now I have a kid with a peanut allergy and don't look for them anymore.

One good thing about home was piggly wiggly where you could buy green peanuts by the lb and scoop them yourself when they were in season.

May 22, 2015, 8:42 AM

Cajun Peanut Patch FTW

May 22, 2015, 11:18 AM

they OK, hot sauce on the regular ones works too.

I CAN't do it, have to be fresh green peanuts boiled***

May 22, 2015, 9:17 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL----7 steps to peaNUT heaven

May 22, 2015, 9:57 AM

BOILED PEANUTS IN A CAN MAN ARE YOU FARKING KIDDING?

Step 1: Put milk in freezer
Step 2: Buy a truckload of raw or green (greenr's better) from the farmer's market
Step 3: Boil them sumbitches in water LIKE A MAN, on a propane outdoor stand alone burner in a bigassed pot. Like big enough to #### near bathe in. Don't have one? GO BUY ONE YOU POOR RUSSIAN!
Step 4: Drink Miller High Life from the bottle for 4 hours, get shartfaced
Step 5: Shut off heat, add a whole thing of salt (container about the size of an oil can)
Step 6: Let 'em sit for about 30 minutes, then remove them from the water
Step 7: Get laid by any woman within 10 square miles of you. They will be lining up to hump you.

YMFW

Re: nice [69]***

May 22, 2015, 9:59 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do I have milk in my freezer***

May 22, 2015, 3:19 PM [ in reply to LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL----7 steps to peaNUT heaven ]

Lol. I have a great article for you to read.....

May 22, 2015, 10:31 AM

Lemme find that link....

Oh, here it is:

http://ir.tripadvisor.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=914044

I like boiled peanuts, never tried canned boiled peanuts***

May 22, 2015, 3:18 PM

ewwww in a can ? Yuck

May 23, 2015, 4:22 PM

I absolutely love them.

Whenever I get back to Carolina that is the first thing I seek out, then real barbeque .

Then clean air and pretty girls.

Nuff said

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic