Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I only have one question - about targeting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,418

I only have one question - about targeting

Jan 14, 2020, 2:26 PM

if hitting with the crown of the helmet is the measuring stick, the why wasn't targeting called when Tee Higgins was speared in the groin/thigh on the play that sent him to the locker room?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: I only have one question - about targeting

Jan 14, 2020, 2:27 PM

SEC.

Go back and look at the brutal hits on DW4 that Bama dished out. No calls.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 14, 2020, 2:28 PM

Because there is no consistency on how it is called.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which is odd since its called from the booth.

Jan 14, 2020, 3:11 PM

this should be an easy fix

Because it is a totally nonsense rule that wasn't necessary

Jan 14, 2020, 2:29 PM

in the first place. There has been a rule - forever - against putting your head down and launching at another player. They made this new rule for PR purposes and to avoid lawsuits as much as possible. It's bullsh**

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 2:34 PM

In my opinion, targeting should ONLY be called when it is helmet to helmet. That is what the rule should be!

Jan 14, 2020, 2:34 PM

so no helmet to groin?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 2:39 PM

The worst call/no call of the night was the hit on Amari Rodgers. He was clearly a defenseless receiver and that is a personal foul in the NFL. There are many differences between NCAA and NFL rules and they need to be more consistent. The bottom line is unless every play was under replay and games lasted 12 hours, there will be calls that are talked about. Officials are human and that is the most important thing to remember.

Jan 14, 2020, 2:50 PM

It’s likely that we will see the targeting rule changed during the off season. A very high percentage of all tackles in football involves the helmet Of one player striking another. It’s becoming to frequently called and it really isn’t difficult to see if a player intentionally leads with his helmet is it? Unnecessary roughness once was the call used to define violent hits.

Jan 14, 2020, 3:01 PM

I had the same exact question during the game even before our targeting penalty. It was crown of the helmet to the thigh.

None of the announcers commented on it at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 6:40 PM

Here are the rules, "all elements" just hitting a player with the crown of the helmet does not meet the "all elements" standard. What I cannot find anywhere in the rules is what the term targeting means aside from 9-1-3 (a), but then 9-1-3(b) says an indicator targeting is present which is redundant with (a).

The verbiage "attack" is initiate contact. Defenseless player is not very well described.

Here is the rule from the book:
ARTICLE 5 a. The replay official shall review all targeting fouls, Rules 9-1-3 and 9-1-4. For a player to be disqualified and the Targeting foul to be enforced, all elements of a Targeting foul must be confirmed by the Instant Replay Official. There is no option for stands as a part of a Targeting review. If any element of Targeting cannot be confirmed, then the Replay Official shall overturn the targeting foul.

Targeting elements include:
1. Rule 9-1-3:
(a) A player takes aim at an opponent for the purposes of attacking with forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.
(b) An indicator of targeting is present.

2. Rule 9-1-4:
(a) A defenseless opponent (Rule 2-27-14).
(b) A player takes aim at a defenseless opponent for the purposes of attacking with forcible contact to the head or neck area.
(c) An indicator of targeting is present.

b. The replay official may create a targeting foul from the booth when the targeting action is clear and obvious and the foul is not called by the officials on the field. Such a review may not be initiated by a coach’s challenge.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 8:40 PM

I don’t believe this rule will be changed until someone breaks their neck and is paralyzed or dies. People seem to forget that part of this rule is intended to discourage this form of tackling because it is extremely dangerous to the person that lowers their head.
Tombstone mentality- no change is needed until after someone dies.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,418
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic