Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I once knew a cave tour guide who wasn't smart enough to go
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

I once knew a cave tour guide who wasn't smart enough to go

May 27, 2016, 11:30 PM

outside in the rain.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I once knew a cave tour guide who wasn't smart enough to go

May 27, 2016, 11:35 PM

Caving , Cavers .
It sounds like people who do that for a living have no backbone , and can be had .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 27, 2016, 11:41 PM

Not cool man. They're safe now, but still. Not cool.

So you are suggesting the tour guides get a pass here? Okay

May 28, 2016, 12:14 AM

I say they almost got a lot of people killed and should not be allowed to pretend they know what in the hell they are doing again.

Re: So you are suggesting the tour guides get a pass here? Okay

May 28, 2016, 12:25 AM

And I say, regardless of how you feel, it's not cool to try to make a satirical point about 19 Clemson students who nearly died.

May 28, 2016, 2:35 AM

I read that the bad weather came in well before expected. And that once they were within the cave, the communication devices no longer work. From what I read, the guides recognized that there was a problem and started to guide them out. Sadly, things got much worse as they were trying to leave and as they got closer to the exit. People monitoring at the surface, also called in help too.

This geology field trip has likely been planned for quite some time. If it is part of the field camp, they were likely there for a short window of time.

Folks who are into spelunking are somewhat at risk anytime they go into these caves. This is nothing like going to the Forbidden Caverns with lights and paths.

This is not a past time I enjoy, but I have had many friends who really love it. They do consider the weather before they enter.

My assumption was this has happened before and would be

May 28, 2016, 8:08 AM

ridiculous to allow to happen again by the locals who I assumed are the tour guides. It took 10 seconds to google and find that the exact same thing happened two years ago at the same place.

Tour Group Rescued From Flooding Kentucky Cave

March 2, 2012 / Kentucky, United States, North America

Entrance to Hidden River Cave

Photo by smiley/flickr

A tour group exploring Kentucky’s Hidden River Cave were rescued after a freak storm let loose a torrent of rain and quickly began flooding the cave.

The tour group, which included eight out-of-state teenage students, one teacher and a guide, were 2.4 kilometers (1.5 miles) deep inside the cave on an off trail tour and unaware of the situation.

Rather than waiting it out, executive director David Foster and guide Joe Forsythe decided to enter the cave, water already 1 meter (3 feet) high, to rescue the group.

There were two options here, we could have the group sit and wait in out in the back higher sections of the cave, which could have been a day or more than a day, the scary thing about it is when you have a line of storms coming you don’t know how long that could be, we made a decision to go in there after them quickly,
— David Foster Hidden River Cave Executive Director to wbko.com

He had a hand line with him and we used it to get us through the water, I tied it around my waist and swam through the river, everyone else was following along holding onto the hand-line, when we could stand up we did, other times we were swimming, and the whole time we were in the water it is rising and on top of it the current was very strong
— Joe Forsythe Hidden River Cave Guide to wbko.com

Although everyone exited the cave safely, by the time they made it out the water had risen over 2 meters (6 feet) high.

Cave officials are now re-evaluating their tour protocols.

Re: My assumption was this has happened before and would be

May 28, 2016, 9:06 AM

You are right that this happens quite often. If you do a general Google search you will find many reports of people getting stuck in caves all over the place.

Many folks go exploring these types of caves without any guides at all.

It is an activity that I find too be too risky, which is one reason I did not go when I was younger even though I had many opportunities.

Radio's? Almost sounds planned. Never taking a guide, going on my own.

May 28, 2016, 11:25 AM

Both times students were involved which would get more of a reaction by people in the news. They probably do it every couple of years for free advertising. It happened once on accident and they realized a spike in guests so they decided to recreate it whenever it was time for summer tourist season. It's the news, it's what they do, they might have been inches away from death but I highly doubt it. Anyone want to explain where their radios were at? That is caving 101 you learn in the discovery channel. Who knows what really happened.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just spent 30 minutes more googling --- TOTALLY CONTRIVED***

May 28, 2016, 11:34 AM

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic