Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I need to watch the Duke game again
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

I need to watch the Duke game again

Nov 18, 2018, 12:58 PM

to figure out a few things. I think (not sure) we ran a bunch of RPOs early. I also think Duke's strategy was to try to confuse Trevor Lawrence. Some teams read the CBs or LBs for RPO decisions, but I think a lot of our RPO decisions are read off of what the safeties do pre and/or post snap. I think Duke was bringing the safties down pre-snap and backing them out in an attempt to have us throw rather than run, which if we took the bait would give them better pass coverage than if they had jammed the box.

When a defense shows blitz and backs off into coverage or brings the safeties down, but backs off post snap, it messes with a QB's timing and it messes with WR's route-running decisions, because the QB and WRs are still reading a moving secondary as the play develops.

It may be that we need to run fewer RPOs and just line up and run the ball until defenses stop the post-snap movement.

I'm not certain if this was part of the slow start, but I suspect it was.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sound much more knowledgeable on scheme than I am

Nov 18, 2018, 2:19 PM

But sometimes I think our offensive coaches out think themselves. Sometimes you just have to line up and smash somebody running the ball. Especially teams on Dukes level.

Re: You sound much more knowledgeable on scheme than I am

Nov 18, 2018, 3:53 PM

Yes, that's what I'm thinking and Trevor admitted he made some pass decisions in error.

Assuming we read the safeties on RPOs, when the safeties come down to the box pre-snap, the read is to pass - so the QB and WRs are thinking pass and they all get get ready for big holes in the secondary - but when the safeties jump back into some predetermined coverage, it messes with everybody's head..... the QB is now worrying about whether the WRs have figured out where they're going. The WRs are trying to figure out where to go to get open (particularly those running inside routes). Now you have timing errors on the throw and WRs mentally tracking safeties as the ball is coming to them.

This is confusing enough to cause distractions/lack of ball focus and result in poorly thrown and dropped balls. It is the defense's version of eye candy.

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic