Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious question because I'm about to open a huge can
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 695

Serious question because I'm about to open a huge can

Feb 8, 2019, 11:59 AM

of worms...

What are the pros of allowing middle and high school students to have their cell phones at school?

I'm wondering what people that are not in education think.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious question because I'm about to open a huge can

Feb 8, 2019, 12:02 PM

Image result for this gon be good gif

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

There are pros to this?

Feb 8, 2019, 12:04 PM

I can understand a high school student, who drives and has a job, having times when they would need one. But a kid who is never without an adult should not have one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely they should have one.

Feb 8, 2019, 12:07 PM

But it should not be in school. They can leave it in their car or whatever. No reason to have it in school.

Okay so we've narrowed focus on kids who are driving,

Feb 8, 2019, 12:11 PM

right?

I do have one issue with having the phones in the cars, it would be that ever car window would eventually get smashed. I do not have a cheap solution for this.

An in the clouds solution could be that there is some secure place to store all of the phones at school and this is also used to measure attendance.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my kids are way too young for this

Feb 8, 2019, 12:04 PM

off of the top of my head the only pro I can think of is communicating with a parent in case of an emergency.

everything else seems like excuses.

i could be swayed with some good information

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wife is in High School Education System and I can say

Feb 8, 2019, 12:05 PM

that they are probably causes of MUCH more crap than they would solve. I also am under the impression that they can have them at school, should not have them in class, but NOBODY enforces that rule in the school (or at least very few teachers do)

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They literally account for over 80% of our discipline

Feb 8, 2019, 12:10 PM

referrals. They cause drama and distractions. Fights. They get stolen and lost. They distract teachers from teaching because they are constantly beeping or being checked. Every classroom has a phone in it so there is no excuse for needing them for emergencies. It's an epidemic. This generation is glued to them and you can see the negative effects in their behavior, social lives, etc.

So hold up a second...

Feb 8, 2019, 12:18 PM

Are you saying that the general public is on the cusp of getting worse/even more stupid?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YOLO!***

Feb 8, 2019, 12:19 PM

So just imagine how stupid the average person is...***

Feb 8, 2019, 12:36 PM [ in reply to So hold up a second... ]

you really don't even have to imagine......

Feb 8, 2019, 1:26 PM

just visit any public gathering spot for a few minutes.

I just walked down College Avenue for lunch and almost had 3 females run into me as they were staring at their phones instead of watching where they were walking.

What the allmightyhell is so important that a teenager must answer as they walk, it cannot wait until they get to a stopping place? They gonna have BIG troubles when they actually encounter real (aka adult) responsibility some day. There will be nervous breakdowns in the streets.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They literally account for over 80% of our discipline

Feb 8, 2019, 1:10 PM [ in reply to They literally account for over 80% of our discipline ]

The only reason they account for that much of your school discipline cases is due to the fact that your school has outdated and out of touch rules. If schools adapted to be a more conducive learning environment and actually catered to kid's needs, this would not be an issue.

Please don't be a troll, please don't be a troll, please

Feb 8, 2019, 1:17 PM

don't be a troll....DIS GON BE GOOD!

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's laughable.

Feb 8, 2019, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: They literally account for over 80% of our discipline ]

So you're saying kids distracting the teacher and other students messing around with their phones IS a conducive learning environment??

Maybe you should go spend a day in a local high school and see if you feel the same afterwards...

Re: That's laughable.

Feb 8, 2019, 4:12 PM

Just because some students behave poorly does not mean all of them should be punished.

Heysus, I would like to invite you

Feb 8, 2019, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: They literally account for over 80% of our discipline ]

To kindly GTFO of the Jounge

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA

Feb 8, 2019, 1:18 PM [ in reply to They literally account for over 80% of our discipline ]

Leads to cyber-bullying and even bigger problems, especially with the girls. I hear about it alot.

...and all of this leads right back to the parents.

Feb 8, 2019, 3:04 PM

Pretty sure somebody has to be 18 to go get a phone on their own due to contracts and stuff.

Which leads back to

Feb 8, 2019, 5:13 PM

It being Trump's fault.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Cyber bullying is the only way to toughen up kids that

Feb 11, 2019, 2:14 PM [ in reply to DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA ]

refuse to leave the house and get physically bullied. This is exactly why Tonga will one day conquer America and rule us with an iron Polynesian hand.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can tell you when I coached in public schools

Feb 11, 2019, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Wife is in High School Education System and I can say ]

they all have them and they all are using them in class. Honestly, not sure how I would have passed in HS if I had one.

Can't even imagine being a teacher and having to deal with it

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

kids who car ride can call their parents when leaving school

Feb 8, 2019, 12:05 PM

students who drive need them in case something happens.

See most of us functioning adults did need to

Feb 8, 2019, 12:08 PM

call home to say we were leaving school.

Yeah, I think I'd want to encourage independence

Feb 8, 2019, 12:08 PM

Not living with me until they're 35.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I drove to school and did not have a phone.

Feb 11, 2019, 2:15 PM [ in reply to kids who car ride can call their parents when leaving school ]

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT!?!?!?!??

Its been a while, but I can't think of any reason I

Feb 8, 2019, 12:11 PM

needed one in middle or high school.

Of course they weren't around then so it wouldn't have mattered if i did..but yeah..that.

Greenr used to use the high school pay phone to call my

Feb 8, 2019, 1:19 PM

parents if practice was over. I called them collect, never had any change.

You have a collect call from

Feb 8, 2019, 3:13 PM

heymompracticeisovercanyoucomepickmeup Do you accept the charges?

Click

My old man just came up to watch practice and

Feb 8, 2019, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Greenr used to use the high school pay phone to call my ]

shoot the breeze.

My kid is 10 and she takes her phone to school

Feb 8, 2019, 12:15 PM

but does not use it at school - but some of her classmates and friends do. We got her a phone since she walks to and from school a lot and we need to be able to get in touch with her. But she doesn't use it at school at all.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't do drugs in college, either.***

Feb 8, 2019, 12:20 PM

Heh - I've tried to get in touch with her many times

Feb 8, 2019, 12:27 PM

and when I pick her up, she still has the phone in her bag with about 20 messages on the screen. She don't use it. She's scared it will get taken away.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here they can have them with them.

Feb 8, 2019, 12:15 PM

But if they are out or ring during class they are taken away and the parent must pick them up in the office. Each incident carries a stronger penalty. After the 3rd offense they are banned.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not in education but I am in facebook

Feb 8, 2019, 12:54 PM

and your give a #### is WAY too high.

Pros and cons are not in your favor as an educator.

By banning or confiscating, you will absolutely have 15 Karens in your room demanding a meeting with you, admin, and Trevor, their child. And who do you think admins are going to side with even though the rule is in the book?

It's not worth it.

If the little runts can't put their phones down long enough to complete their work or listen to what you're saying, they don't need a high school diploma.

Once again I am NOT in education.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Serious question because I'm about to open a huge can

Feb 8, 2019, 1:14 PM

Cell phones can be beneficial to teaching kids, and use as a reward system. Schools need to adapt to the way kids think, learn, and process information. Getting in touch with technology can help with this.

There is also the fact that emergencies happen. Kids need to reach parents. To me, its almost a safety precedent.

A safety precedent?

Feb 8, 2019, 1:32 PM

It's quite an amazing feat that every human being over the age of 30 somehow survived the perils of growing up without a cell phone, I guess.

It's kind of funny though, because I make the same arguments to myself whenever I really want something that I don't need. "Well if I didn't have a golf cart, I might not be able to fit down that trail to escape a pack of rabid black bears....It's a safety issue, you know?"

I need a 3500 diesel.

Feb 8, 2019, 2:11 PM

I mean my 1500 will pull my boat and everything I own fine. But what if I need to tow my shed down the street without a trailer before the next hurricane?

Its really a safety thing.

I don't know how I made it out of school.

Feb 8, 2019, 2:15 PM [ in reply to A safety precedent? ]

I'd leave at like 7:30 am, and my parents wouldn't see or hear from me until 4 or 5 pm.

THEY HAD NO IDEA IF I WAS EVEN ALIVE.

This might be how humans end up going extinct

Feb 8, 2019, 2:20 PM

Cold, wet, shivering, and starving as we feebly try to get google to connect to the server just one more time so we can figure out how to make meat edible without making us sick.....Only to find out we need fire to do that, so back to google we go.

Re: A safety precedent?

Feb 8, 2019, 4:15 PM [ in reply to A safety precedent? ]

After several nightmares I encountered in high school, and other I witnessed among my peers, I can confidently say that I do not trust any state institution with the welfare of my kids.

I would want to be able to immediately reach out to my kids should an emergency arise. In my experience, public school officials look out for the school first and the students second.

You sound like you got bullied a LOT

Feb 8, 2019, 5:16 PM

And your kids will more than likely be scarred for life due to your helicopter parenting.

And they will get bullied for you dropping them off at school with their iphone 3 and wired earbuds.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Re: You sound like you got bullied a LOT

Feb 11, 2019, 12:39 PM

That's a very contradicting thing for you to say.

Giving a kid a cell phone and allowing them more independence and responsibility as such is now considered helicopter parenting?

I bet if you have kids you're the parent that blames the

Feb 8, 2019, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious question because I'm about to open a huge can ]

teacher when your kid fails instead of blaming Little Johnny for not paying attention while he is Snapchatting his GF a picture of his tiny wang.

first of all,

Feb 8, 2019, 2:15 PM

pigs of said GF??

there is no second-of-all

Not saying these PROs outweigh the CONs, but...

Feb 11, 2019, 1:42 PM

They can be used for research during class...and a kid can contact parents (if needed) without disrupting class (as in, having to raise their hand and ask to be excused or use the class phone).

That said - they cause a lot more trouble than they mitigate...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Things are so much different now I guess.

Feb 11, 2019, 2:14 PM

But If I ever needed to contact my parents at work while I was in school, it had better be an emergency that the school was involved in.

I remember when I was a senior in high school it was late in the year, I had already been accepted to college, and well, no longer cared. I was late to school by like 2 minutes and the 3rd time they called my father--at work. I could hear the earful that my vice principal was getting from across the room:

"Hello? This is Mrs. ImnotasimportnatasIthinkIam at your son's high school.

No..he's fine, but he was late to school again today. This is the third time and...

Well, I think only a few minutes, but that's not the...

uh huh.

No, he hasn't caused any issues, but

But...

Uh huh.

Well thank you..goodbu..

Well I see I'm not getting anywhere with you or your father today. Go back to class."

That trifling oldbitch.

There are no pros.

Feb 11, 2019, 2:10 PM

Wireless phone usage during school hours by middle and high school students should be considered a Class A felony. Offenders should be eligible for capital punishment.

Replies: 47
| visibility 695
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic