Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I meant to post this on Mother's Day weekend but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

I meant to post this on Mother's Day weekend but

May 12, 2016, 8:08 AM

I thought I'd still share the story of how Dabo won the deepest appreciation of my mother (a coot from a coot family).

My youngest brother has Down's Syndrome, and we live locally. So he has been competing at the Special Olympics in Clemson since I can remember. He's 17 now.

We can all remember during the Tommy Bowden years how one or two football players would come to the Special Olympics event at the track field. Rendrick Taylor was a constant because his major was Special Education. We always looked forward to seeing Rendrick (and his massive pipes). My brother was always able to have his picture taken with Rendrick. We thought the football team was well represented with the 2-3 players that would come every year.

Then Dabo was hired. The first year Dabo was head coach, there were dozens of players from the team as well as Dabo himself. My parents were both amazed. My mother, raised in a South Carolina fan and alumni steeped family from the lowcountry, came to appreciate Dabo through the showing of players, and just speaking to him during the event. She was beyond impressed and although she wouldn't pull for us in November, she certainly acknowledged the differences in character between Dabo and Spurlid.

My dad actually talked to the director of the Special Olympics in Clemson about it, wanting to convey his appreciation. All due respect to Tommy Bowden, but apparently he got the invitation by way of email all ten years and never responded. In his first year, Dabo responded with a phone call minutes after receiving the email saying that he'd love to go. Also, I will mention that Brad Brownell comes with his players often too and we appreciate that as well.

Just another example attributing to the type of character the man has. Clemson University is represented by the very best in Coach Dabo Swinney. People from all fan bases and all walks of life have noticed. We are very blessed to have him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great story, thanks for sharing!

May 12, 2016, 8:14 AM

What events does your brother participate in? I have always loved the Special Olympics because it builds so much pride in the athletes and you can see it in their facial expressions and body language. Also, if you ever want a lesson on good sportsmanship, that's the best place to get it. They are serious about competing, and serious about supporting their competitors as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

It is an incredible experience to be there.

May 12, 2016, 8:28 AM

I couldn't agree more about the sportsmanship aspect. You couldn't have put it better. The athletes there will almost give you a piece of humble pie in the way they compete but also pull so much for each other. Thanks for asking, my brother does (that I remember at least)...

4x40 relay
200m sprint
Softball throw

Very cool, thanks again for sharing that***

May 12, 2016, 8:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

You are so right.

May 12, 2016, 8:42 AM

About Dabo. Thanks for the post and best wishes to your brother.

Re: You are so right.- Yep

May 12, 2016, 9:08 AM

Dabo is one of the most personable and outgoing people I've ever seen. I used to go to his show at BiLO and he spoke to everyone whether they were there for the show or just ducking in for milk and bread.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are so right.- Yep

May 12, 2016, 9:19 AM

As I posted yesterday, Dabo has to be a real Clemson man. No Bama guy could be so special!

Re: I meant to post this on Mother's Day weekend but

May 12, 2016, 8:48 AM

awesome story to share. The world needs more people of this high character.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I volunteered for a couple of years in Memphis

May 12, 2016, 9:10 AM

It was an inspiring time for all of us, athletes and volunteers. I highly recommend volunteering and taking any young teens you have with you. It may very well change their life.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I meant to post this on Mother's Day weekend but

May 12, 2016, 10:14 AM

Down Syndrome people was God's way to show the world how really easy love, kindness, and respect for one another can really be. He wanted us to know that people with learning disabilities knew the difference between good and evil, love and hate, kindness and cruelty. And people without any learning disabilities don't have any excuses when it comes time to be judged.

Some people were put on this earth to learn and others to...

May 12, 2016, 10:47 AM

teach. Down Syndrome people were sent here to "teach" us about humility, kindness, love, respect and all those other attributes related to being decent human beings. Allorangeallthetime52 has it exactly right!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1***

May 12, 2016, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: I meant to post this on Mother's Day weekend but ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic