Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DISCUSSION: Dabo Coaching
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

DISCUSSION: Dabo Coaching

Jan 2, 2017, 8:40 AM

So I want to pose a question: How elite is Dabo when it comes to coaching? We all know he's the ultimate recruiter. And I have been telling people outside of Clemson that he is better at X's and O's than he is credited for. He has now beaten Meyer and Stoops twice when they had weeks to prepare. He completely gassed a Saban defense that had weeks to prepare and made Saban actually coach as opposed to just relying on his superior athletes. Now I know we have a great staff and great players but Dabo has been unbelievable with extra time to prepare for an opponent. We showed a lot on film against OSU that will make Alabama prepare for even more. We blew out OSU without Cain nor Scott nor Leggett being dominant. We threw 2 ints and missed a chip shot FG. If our defense can stop Alabama run and make Hurts throw, then we have a good chance to win.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unfortunately, Saban won't write his book until he retires.***

Jan 2, 2017, 8:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: DISCUSSION: Dabo Coaching

Jan 2, 2017, 8:54 AM

I quit reading after second sentence.

Dabo and staff are definition of elite.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2017, 9:30 AM

Totally agree! Coach Swinney is a great "hands on" coach. He totally knows X's and O's.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Team doesn't have a lot of strong tendencies

Jan 2, 2017, 9:03 AM

I believe Urban Myer said that. Maybe it's just me, but every game with the Tigers offense looks different. Different receivers dominate, sometimes jet sweep, sometimes not, sometimes tight end dominate. Simply put, our offense takes what it is given, and #4 takes a defender out of their scheme.
So I am not sure how much we showed Bama.
For me, I am very worried about our kicking game...

Re: Team doesn't have a lot of strong tendencies

Jan 2, 2017, 9:45 AM

> I believe Urban Myer said that. Maybe it's just me,
> but every game with the Tigers offense looks
> different. Different receivers dominate, sometimes
> jet sweep, sometimes not, sometimes tight end
> dominate. Simply put, our offense takes what it is
> given, and #4 takes a defender out of their scheme.
> So I am not sure how much we showed Bama.
> For me, I am very worried about our kicking game.

I am also worried about KICKING!! Runbacks kill quickly and kickoffs to the 5 yard line are deadly!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Team doesn't have a lot of strong tendencies

Jan 2, 2017, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Team doesn't have a lot of strong tendencies ]

True that I'm worried about our kick coverage as well. And we do have the ability to morph our gameplan for week to week. And my point about showing Alabama new stuff on film was that we gave them more to prepare for. Now they will have to think more when we run similar formations as opposed to just reacting and playing.

If he beats Bama, then he's squarely in the top 3 with

Jan 2, 2017, 9:04 AM

1A. Saban
1B. Meyer

Either order on those 2. Then Dabo.

Even if we lose, I think you could argue Dabo squarely in that top 3 ahead of Jimbo.

Elite college football coach. Complete package.

Re: If he beats Bama, then he's squarely in the top 3 with

Jan 2, 2017, 9:22 AM

If he beats Bama, you have to put him ahead of Urban just based on head-to-head alone. Urban's had two chances now to put Dat Boy in his place and couldn't. Ditto for Stoops.

Saban's the king until he retires but Dabo has to be considered the runner-up...if he wins the Nattie against Alabama. If he can "win the big one", as they say, there's very little to knock him down on, on any valuation.

I may have Urban ahead of Saban right now.

Jan 2, 2017, 9:28 AM

Urban has won everywhere. Saban has really just hit his stride at Bama. He wasn't great at Michigan St. He was very good at LSU.

You could make an argument either way. If Saban wins Monday, then I'd give the nod to Saban, I guess.

Agree. Multiple National Championships place

Jan 2, 2017, 9:23 AM [ in reply to If he beats Bama, then he's squarely in the top 3 with ]

Sabah and Meyer above anyone else. If we win:

3) Dabo
4) Fisher
5) Stoops
6) Harbaugh
7) Petersen
8) Richt
9) Shaw
10) Franklin

Note. LSU replaced a top ten guy with, cough, Ed Orgeron. Is there anyone else in the SEC even top 20? Mahlzan maybe? Best evidence as to why the league is slipping. ACC would have Petrino, Cutcliffe, Kelly if you count ND, and I'd throw in Fuente as well

Re: Agree. Multiple National Championships place

Jan 2, 2017, 10:57 AM

I believe Shaw should be higher. He's the one coach who is having tremendous success at a school that has exceptionally high academic standards.

Dabo-2, Meyer-0. Put it in the record book because the

Jan 2, 2017, 10:02 AM [ in reply to If he beats Bama, then he's squarely in the top 3 with ]

rest is speculation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2017, 9:25 AM

Look at Dabo, then look at Dabo's record since he took over the program/team. Other people had his job before him, how ### many of them can compare their records to Dabo's. Not a single one of them, that is how good of a coach Dabo is!!! I don't think that we can judge Dabo by what another coach has done some where else, we can only judge him by what he has done at Clemson. Some schools like a Bama would most likely been easier using Dabo's method to build into a winner....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2017, 11:05 AM

You make a great point. Dabo took this program from mediocrity and has built a powerhouse. It's not like he took an all time historically great program such as Ohio St or Alabama and put them back on the mountaintop. Clemson has been a more regional and sometimes national program throughout it's history. Now Dabo has the Clemson brand squarely in the national spotlight.

It's an interesting question

Jan 2, 2017, 9:31 AM

Dabo is highly skilled in his vision, laser focused on what he wants the program to be and then works diligently to align everything in the program to match his master plan. His personality is infectious and energetic; people are drawn to men with humble, Selfless, bigger than life goals that transcend the immediacy (i.e. Win a football game or championship) for something that is not "measurable" but still very real, very personal, in many ways, life-changing. This is Dabo to me.

Do I think he is an offensive genius in a way Bobby Bowden or even a Lane Kiffin is.....probably not. Eisenhower didn't have Pattons technical capabilities either but would Patton have been successful without Eisenhower ? I doubt it.

Dabo has not only built, but created the culture at Clemson that has allowed for our success. If you think back, he has been unbelievably consistent in his approach to the current Clemson culture, regardless of wins or losses.

I go back to when FSU beat the crap out of us in Clemson(can't remember the exact year) and Dabo noted after the game there was not a lot of difference between the two programs. No one, including me, believed what he said. Dabo saw the unseen, felt the intricate intangibles that are the differences between winning big games or not, and keep steering the program in lock step with his vision.

This is where he is not only great, but perhaps the very best in the country. He has redefined Clemson and for that, I know we are all extremely grateful!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As for the "Big Picture", Dabo was right about...

Jan 2, 2017, 9:54 AM

Clemson and FSU being close in terms of the stature of the programs, even though they did destroy us at home in 2013 (51-14). The programs were similar; the biggest difference was in the two quarterbacks. FSU's defense was also superior at that point. They were VERY good that year and would go on to win the national championship.

Since then we're 2-1 against the noles, and we really should have won that fluky overtime game. At that point we were virtually neck-and-neck with them. In 2015 we overtook them, and this year it was pretty clear we were the better team. If we don't replace Watson with a QB of like ability we will take a step back.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As for the "Big Picture", Dabo was right about...

Jan 2, 2017, 11:11 AM

I'm not too concerned with the QB situation of the future. We have top talent coming in and we have really good talent on the team now for next year. I believe the winning will be consistent, but it just might look different without Watson next year.

Re: It's an interesting question

Jan 2, 2017, 11:08 AM [ in reply to It's an interesting question ]

Very well said! 100% agree with you.

Jan 2, 2017, 9:43 AM

Guys... this coach we have is a true gift. No other coach in our schools history not even ( hard to say this) Coach Howard or Ford... has coached with such intensity and determination.. along with pure vision. I am convinced that Clemson football has turned the corner and Coach Dabo has taken it there. From the first day I knew he would be special.. he has exceeded any and all expectations. He earned this.

If anyone questions Dabo's abilities concerning X's and O's

Jan 2, 2017, 9:59 AM

Keep listening for the POP!!!!!!!!

Go TIGERS!!!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's top two in the last two seasons at year's end.

Jan 2, 2017, 10:04 AM

He's put two WR's in the first round for two years in a row and unless something horrible happens to #7 next week that will be extended to a third. I don't understand why anyone is still talking about this. It was a failed theory posed by a failed third rate website during our growth from a coaching change.

Dumpers gonna dump.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He's top two in the last two seasons at year's end.

Jan 2, 2017, 11:15 AM

I understand what you are saying. I wasn't questioning IF Dabo was an elite coach. I was just starting a discussion at HOW elite is he. In my opinion is right up there with Meyer and Saban when it comes to preparing for big games. A lot has been said about how unbeatable Meyer and Saban are with extra time. But when they have faced Dabo, Dabo has been the one who has come with a great gameplan that seemed to catch both of them off guards.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic