Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 2009 Clemson- 40 (8)Miami- 37 F-OT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

On This Date: 2009 Clemson- 40 (8)Miami- 37 F-OT

Oct 24, 2018, 8:54 AM

October 24, 2009
Coral Gables, FL

Parker, Ford, Spiller help Clemson Shock No. 8 Miami in OT

Jacoby Ford called the final play, promising Clemson’s coaches it would work.

Did it ever.

Kyle Parker threw a 26-yard touchdown pass to Ford in overtime, giving Clemson a wild, wacky 40-37 win over No. 8 Miami on Saturday night – the biggest win during Dabo Swinney’s tenure as coach, the Tigers’ first victory in their last nine tries over ranked teams, and their first road win over a Top 10 foe in more than eight years.

“It was a play that we had never run before,” Clemson offensive coordinator Billy Napier said.

It was a play Miami won’t want to see again.

“We knew this game was going to come down to who made more plays,” Ford said. “And we did.”

C.J. Spiller had a 90-yard kickoff return for a touchdown – the sixth of his career – and a long catch for another score, on his way to a school-record 310 all-purpose yards for the Tigers (4-3, 3-2 Atlantic Coast Conference). DeAndre McDaniel had a 23-yard interception for another touchdown and Richard Jackson hit a 30-yard field goal with 5 seconds left in regulation to tie the game.

Clemson trailed seven times in the game, erasing every one, Ford’s TD catch the lasting blow.

“I have a birthday next month and I think I’m going to turn 50 instead of 40,” Swinney said. “We had to put on Superman capes. We made plenty of mistakes that could have lost us the game, but they played with poise and confidence. We just kept battling.”

How stunning was this from a Miami standpoint? Since the start of the 1985 season, Miami is now 113-2 when scoring 37 or more points.

The ACC is now out of Miami’s control: Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Virginia all have one loss in the Coastal, meaning the Hurricanes will need help to reach the conference title game.

“Not making any excuses,” Miami coach Randy Shannon said. “We just played sloppy.”

Jacory Harris threw for two touchdowns for Miami (5-2, 2-2), but also threw three interceptions.

The Hurricanes could have had fourth-and-goal from the Clemson 3 in overtime after Matt Bosher’s third field goal of the game. But Miami kept the three points on the board, turning it over to the defense.

And Parker – who picked apart the middle of the field all day – found Ford, a South Florida native, for the winning score. Parker finished 25 of 37 for 326 yards.

“I should have made the play on that myself,” said Miami safety Randy Phillips, who was near Ford but in a supporting role on the final play. “I should have taken it into my own hands.”

It was the third meeting of these teams since Miami joined the ACC; all three went to overtime, and all three have been won by the road team.

After the way regulation was nothing but wild back-and-forth, it couldn’t have been too surprising that this one needed more than 60 minutes before getting settled.

Spiller had a 90-yard kickoff return for a touchdown just before halftime, then a 56-yard TD catch midway through the third quarter. Both came on Miami breakdowns; the Hurricanes didn’t want Alex Uribe to kick it deep to Spiller on the return for a score, and the TD catch came when he was covered by linebacker Sean Spence, who battled an injured left knee all day.

The kickoff was particularly upsetting to Shannon. Uribe didn’t kick in the second half, getting replaced by Bosher.

“Blown assignments,” Shannon said. “We had something called and we went on the field and it was totally different. … Guys didn’t get it done.”

Both defenses offered major scoring swings, too. Allen Bailey sacked Parker, knocking the ball loose and setting up Marcus Robinson’s 53-yard rumble for a score that gave Miami a 24-21 lead in the third quarter. And in the fourth, McDaniel’s interception runback – the second pick of the day and seventh of the season, which led the nation at that point – put Clemson up 31-27.

Harris remained cool under pressure, just as he has all season.

On Miami’s very next play, he connected with Travis Benjamin for a 69-yard touchdown, a lead that looked likely to hold up when Phillips intercepted Parker in the end zone about 4 minutes later.

Parker atoned nicely.

“I think last week we realized that we could be really good and this week we acted on it,” he said, going back to Clemson’s 38-3 win over Wake Forest a week ago. “I thought we really got some explosive plays and we played well.”

The opposite emotion echoed in the Miami locker room.

“This has to be my toughest loss here,” Harris said. “We fought so hard throughout the game as a team and didn’t come out with the victory. We let Clemson outwork us, we turned the ball over too much – little things that made us get to this point.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Man, how far we have come

Oct 24, 2018, 9:11 AM

"giving Clemson a wild, wacky 40-37 win over No. 8 Miami on Saturday night – the biggest win during Dabo Swinney’s tenure as coach, the Tigers’ first victory in their last nine tries over ranked teams, and their first road win over a Top 10 foe in more than eight years."

And then we all know what happened the next week...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually you're talking about 2004...

Oct 24, 2018, 11:19 PM

null

Message was edited by: GSCtiger

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe best game ever saw in person

Oct 24, 2018, 9:19 AM

And have seen a lot but this one was special. Only time took entire family to away game. One of the airlines had a great deal out of Atlanta so told wife we should do. So she and three kids went down to Miami on short notice for long weekend. Kids were 15, 17, 19

Last time we’ve done trip with just five of us. Great time and GREAT game. Not a surprise. There wasn’t a big crowd so once in just moved down to close to field in Clemson section

End of games players came over to our section everyone screaming. They were throwing their towels gloves etcvto folks in stand and son got a pair of players gloves. Still has them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i was a student worker for the athletic department

Oct 24, 2018, 9:20 AM

In my freshman year for this game and I had to go work the volleyball game on campus and missed the OT. They announced that we had won to the crowd and Jervey went wild (no offense to volleyball but not sure why a decent of fans were there choosing to not watch the end of the football game)

Downtown Clemson was CRAZY...

Oct 24, 2018, 9:28 AM

the whole school went to College Ave to celebrate. That was where my friends and I made the fateful decision to follow the team to Durham for an easy win against Duke...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were at the concession stand thinking the Duke kicker

Oct 24, 2018, 9:40 AM

would never make the long, long, long field goal so we were preparing for OT. Then the stadium erupted. All three Duke fans stood up and cheered at once.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our next game was CCU on Halloween. Your thinking of 2004

Jul 6, 2018, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Downtown Clemson was CRAZY... ]

When we beat Miami at Miami with Whitehurst and Merriweather, then lost the next week at Duke.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Then the following week I was there to see us lose to Duke!!

Oct 24, 2018, 9:26 AM

Getting hassled by the Duke fans yelling at Clemson fans bragging on the win was hilarious and hurtful at the same time. It pretty much summed up the TB era at Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that was 2004

Oct 24, 2018, 9:27 AM

Beat Miami, lose to Duke, beat SC and the brawl back to back

I was there...fun day specially the TD from Kyle to Jacoby***

Oct 24, 2018, 9:34 AM

Re: On This Date: 2009 Clemson- 40 (8)Miami- 37 F-OT

Oct 24, 2018, 10:52 AM

My wedding day. We had the tiger, a big TV at the reception, and booze...made for one big party after that win. That win will always be special!

Re: On This Date: 2009 Clemson- 40 (8)Miami- 37 F-OT

Oct 24, 2018, 10:52 AM

My wedding day. We had the tiger, a big TV at the reception, and booze...made for one big party after that win. That win will always be special!

I loved that game!

Oct 24, 2018, 8:11 PM

i might see if i can find it on YouTube.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic