Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I love my tigers, but I think inconsistency is what gets under my skin in baseball and basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,495

I love my tigers, but I think inconsistency is what gets under my skin in baseball and basketball

Mar 5, 2020, 11:32 AM

It’s almost like we play down to competition at times

We can beat anybody in the sports listed, but can also lose to anyone too.

Just rubs you the wrong way or at least it does me!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love my tigers

Mar 5, 2020, 11:42 AM

Everybody can lose to anybody in baseball.

It is the only team sport where one player can lose a game by themselves.

That is essentially what happened yesterday.

I am not saying that to call out Anglin, but any time a starting pitcher, or any pitcher for that matter, enters a tie game and gives up 4 runs in an inning it's almost impossible for the team to recover.

It's also not uncommon for a team to not score many runs when they are down by a huge margin very early in the game.

This team has struggled, and may continue to struggle at the plate, but yesterday is not an indictment on our baseball program.

We do need to find a dependable midweek starter without having to pull a good pitcher from our weekend bullpen.

College of Charleston threw some of the best weekend bullpen arms yesterday to try to get a marquee win for their team and program. It may cost them a game this weekend with the tired arms, but they aren't in conference yet and don't play a big name team so it doesn't really matter. Programs like that can trade a loss or two to a comparable team in order to steal a win from a big program like Clemson.

totally agree. CofC went all out to win this game.

Mar 5, 2020, 12:08 PM

Now, to play devil's advocate here, referencing baseball, "It is the only team sport where one player can lose a game by themselves." Okay. In high school, I played third base. I remember playing North Central, winning run on second with two outs. The batter hits a ball between short and third. Since the ball was closer to me, I felt it was mine to field and get the out at first. I missed and we lost. :( I felt the loss was on my shoulders. Now, going back to the statement above, was it my fault or should the pitcher struck the AH out?

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: totally agree. CofC went all out to win this game.

Mar 5, 2020, 12:34 PM

Your situation is not what I'm referencing.

In all likelihood the pitcher could have made a better pitch and you (in your estimation) could have done a better job fielding the ball.

What I am referencing is that 1 hit(on a ball where the defense had no chance to get the batter out), 2 walks, and a grand slam put Clemson in a terrible hole even before a second player on the team had a chance to truly impact the game in a negative way.

At that point we hadn't made an error (mental or physical) on defense and we hadn't even had a hitter walk to the plate to try to make an offensive impact.

Mar 5, 2020, 12:48 PM

I felt the blame for our loss. Maybe the ball was further from me than I realized. It was a game we should have won and me, being the team captain and a senior, took it pretty hard. I agree, one person can lose a game in baseball. I did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2020, 1:11 PM

If you think that's rough, try giving up a walkoff home run in the postseason.

I made a good pitch but the hitter made a great swing.

I've had nightmares about that one.

Mar 5, 2020, 1:14 PM

I believe you have got me there. Post season, walk-off HR? Yep, can't top that one.

However, I did beat one of the best teams in the state (S.C) in 2-A. That felt good.

Mar 5, 2020, 1:27 PM

Did I mention it hit the foul pole about 3 feet above our left fielder's outstretched glove?

What makes it worse is that I have friends who will sneak up behind me at random times and whisper the batter's name in my ear.

Actually, hold on. I will be back later. I just realized I need better friends...... haha

Mar 5, 2020, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I love my tigers ]

No the problem is once we get down by any amount over 3 we will lose this season.
Big problem.
It’s not just this game we also got blown out by ETSU last week. We have won 9 games vs the easiest part of the schedule.
Since ML has been here we have left a million men in scoring position and it’s been the same this year. Unless someone lucks up and hits a home run or we get walked 10 times . We can’t score but 1-2 runs a game . It’s not just this season, we have not come close to being a contender in a long time . ML’s seat should be getting warm if not this season but next year for sure. Because it’s not going to change with him , he is in over his head.

Mar 5, 2020, 1:08 PM

You seem really mad so this may not be the best time to point out to you that losing 5-3 is not getting blown out in any sport and certainly not baseball.

Mar 5, 2020, 6:19 PM

Well it’s like this I have been to 100’s of baseball games mostly during Jacks years.
His program was a top 10 program but just couldn’t win the CWS. We as fans got spoiled and didn’t realize what we had until it was gone.
Jacks last 3-4 years it started slipping but those teams where a heck of lot better than what we have now.
Next year if we are not much improved it’s time to start over plain and simple.
Do you really think this team will even make a regional this year ? I don’t see it, hope I’m wrong and will gladly eat my crow .

I love my tigers too. You mentioned baseball and basketball

Mar 5, 2020, 12:02 PM

on a football bored. Sew, two turn this into a post including football, have we played down to our competition recently? Take the UNC game. We held off a two point conversion to win. Did we play down or did UNC just play up to their competition and above their heads?

Re: I love my tigers too. You mentioned baseball and basketball

Mar 5, 2020, 12:05 PM

MyFo with the chicken or the egg, lol! Love it brother!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2020, 12:12 PM

somebody didn't like our posts and handed us a TD. Man, that hurts. I'll not sleep tonight.

Mar 5, 2020, 7:10 PM

May be my normal fan club, but TD MyFo is just freakin dumb. Grow up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,495
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic