Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Greatest Play in Clemson History (?)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

The Greatest Play in Clemson History (?)

Jan 8, 2019, 10:45 PM

Chase Brice on 4th and 6 against Syracuse.

Making this 1st down gives Clemson legitimate claim to "Greatest Team Ever." If he misses this pass, we still might make the CFP, but any claims of "Greatest Team Ever" are on shaky ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoC7_AL33s0

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Greatest Play in Clemson History (?)

Jan 8, 2019, 10:56 PM

Agree

Dang that was an exciting game

Jan 8, 2019, 11:15 PM

(at the end at least.)

I'll always believe ETN was the hero of that game

Jan 8, 2019, 11:29 PM

Not that I think you're wrong, just my thought. 202 rushing yards, kept Syr O on the sideline, rested our D, kept us in it offensively. If he doesn't get it doelne, CB isn't in position for that throw to happen or matter. But I get it.. it was beautiful and the pinnacle play. Cheers.. #1 CLEMSON TIGERS!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I'll always believe ETN was the hero of that game

Jan 24, 2019, 10:25 PM

Agree about ETN, he was a hoss in that game. Unseen, however, is just what a gut check or O-line had, too. Those guys showed tremendous character and determination, and were absolutely spent when the game was over. They reminded me of what Lombardi said: "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would have to say Watson to Renfrow

Jan 9, 2019, 5:40 AM

With a second left is #1.

This play, Boyd-Watson in 2012 round out there top clutch passes under Dabo.

Re: I would have to say Watson to Renfrow

Jan 9, 2019, 5:43 AM

4th and 16, Boyd to Hopkins started this whole thing! Belief in greatness!

Jan 9, 2019, 5:56 AM

Chase Brice definitely earned his ring with his play against Syracuse! Best play Deshawn to Renfrow for first Natty since 1981!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 15, 2019, 3:16 PM [ in reply to I would have to say Watson to Renfrow ]

I concur with Watsio to Renfrow.
The more recent successes stem from that play to win the 2016 Natty.

Great play, but maybe not even the greatest in that game

Jan 9, 2019, 7:04 AM

Props to Brice on this throw and the run that followed, but neither of them matter if not for an incredible third down catch by Renfrow (from Brice) in the 3rd quarter.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lawrence, Brice, and Kelly Bryant. All three QBs played a

Jan 9, 2019, 7:18 AM

critical role in this amazing season.

Just like we don’t win against Syracuse without Chase’s stellar performance, what I saw at A&M tells me we don’t win that game without KB.

null

Re: Lawrence, Brice, and Kelly Bryant. All three QBs played a

Jan 24, 2019, 1:37 PM

I said the same thing after the A&M game, but after watching Trevor the rest of the year, I believe that we win that game by more points if Kelly B was not in the equation at all. Lawrence did not spread his wings until Kelly B was gone. In essence, Lawrence was trying to fit into Kelly B's offense and that was not the best fit.

Jan 24, 2019, 2:01 PM

Personally I would still go back to 1977 and the catch that killed the chickens. Imagine not having been to a bowl game in a couple of decades and a win puts you in the Gator Bowl, which back then was not too far below the New Years Day bowls. At Carolina and you are crushing them 24-0. Then it starts to turn and unbelievably you are down 27-24 late in the 4th quarter. Your option attack with sprint out passes isn’t really built to move the ball quickly but a team that really didn’t know how to win yet somehow drives down and caps off the game with what at the time was a circus jumping, leaping, twisting catch of a pass that wasn’t catchable - and he wasn’t even wearing those super sticky Nike gloves!!! That’s stomping on the Gamecocks hearts in their own building and really launched the program that won its first Natty in 1981.

Or maybe the Renfrow catch. Either one. ??

Jan 24, 2019, 2:13 PM

Fuller to Butler

Mar 15, 2019, 3:38 PM

As a teenager, i was on a church youth group event (we only had 2 all year) deep in the woods of Jasper County during that game.

The adult men were gathered around a tiny TV set. They assured me the Tigers were on top. I managed to sneak off and join them in time to see one play-- the crossing route that went for a 40-yard score to put U5c up 27-24. I guess i groaned louder than them, because they discovered me and sent me back to the activity.

After Clemson won, one of them sought me out to give me the news. When i asked if we won on a Fuller to Butler pass, he was shocked that i knew who they were. I think at that point he was sorry for not letting me stay, since i obviously cared more than most of the adults.

He later became my football coach.

My first collegiate game... Been a Clemson fan ever since.***

Mar 15, 2019, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Re: The Greatest Play in Clemson History (?) ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at that game, and have always said, it was like we beat them

Jan 24, 2019, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Re: The Greatest Play in Clemson History (?) ]

twice that day!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree - that's why it's "The Catch" and......

Mar 15, 2019, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Re: The Greatest Play in Clemson History (?) ]

between two ROH players. You had to be there at W-B that night to understand why it is. I'll never forget it.

The play where the Syracuse lineman was downfield illegally

Jan 24, 2019, 2:03 PM

wiping out a long pass on the drive before our last drive. ;););)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DW to Renfrow

Jan 24, 2019, 2:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2019, 5:33 PM

I could agree with that. I like stopping ND 4th and goal a few years ago, that game was nuts.

Mar 15, 2019, 3:09 PM

and ND game was in the pouring rain

What a win - GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 15, 2019, 3:35 PM

Right up there with “4th and 16” and “4 to 13”.

I love and appreciate Chase but be real here.

Mar 15, 2019, 3:59 PM

You aren't old enough to see all of Clemson's best plays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a difference between....

Mar 15, 2019, 8:22 PM

"greatest play" and "most valuable" play. Certainly, you can make a case for Brice's pass being the most valuable play but it's not the greatest play ever.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic