Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I live in Charleston
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

I live in Charleston

Jun 19, 2015, 8:17 PM

I live and work Downtown. Blacks and whites alike feel the pain of this tragedy. What also angers me is this hateful person was from Columbia area and decided to drive 100 miles in inflict evil on our loving city. The Emanual AME church is the first black church south of Baltimore, MD. This was the church of Denmark Vesey (Google him if you don't know the name). This church has much history and founded in 1816. Dylan Roof did Internet searches and discovered the history of this proud church and targeted this church because of its prominence.

Out of all the slaves that came to our country from Africa, Charleston harbor was the point of entry of 40% of them. Since there is so much slave history in our city I feel that Charleston understands the challenges blacks have had perhaps more than any other city in the country. My wife and I passed by the Emanual church today. Blacks and white are outside the church together crying, praying, singing anything they need to do to heal. If you go by the church you will be moved to tears. The families of the victims have publicly forgiven the killer. I'm not sure if I could do that especially so quickly.

Our mayor and police chief, both white, very early on indicated this was a hate crime and spoke of how tragic this event is. Why no riots? Why no protests? Look no further than the proud good families of the victims, our community leaders and people who live in The Holy City.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I live in Charleston

Jun 19, 2015, 8:25 PM

Well written. Thank you for your perspective. I hope this event has the opposite of the effect the perpetrator intended.

Jun 20, 2015, 1:02 AM

I think that it was said, that he had said before he ever carried out this horrific massacre, that he wanted to see a race war/civil war started between whites and blacks. He has wasted his miserable life for nothing, bc he has failed miserably!!! The only thing he has accomplished or has achieved, he has cause a lot of horrible grief, pain, and suffering for whites and blacks both. And it's bc of his personal childish petty hate for people of color. I hope that this is another death penalty that it takes the state 20 years to carry out his death sentence. Locked in a cell for 20 years thinking about what he has done, and wondering everyday what day will they be coming to take him to the death house a week before they kill his worthless A$$.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey Charlestonian, and fellow South Carolinian, I feel your

Jun 19, 2015, 8:32 PM

Hey Charlestonian, and fellow South Carolinian, I feel your compassion. I feel the pain. I feel the grief. I was happy to spend an evening meal with my 3 children, mother, wife and niece. I felt glad to be able to spend time with them. Sadly there are nine families that tragically will not be able to enjoy the company of at least one family member any longer. My heart and prayers go out to them. God is Sovereign and His Will will be done.

Jun 19, 2015, 8:33 PM

I agree. I live here too. Too many people are hung up on the past and fail or refuse to see what tremendous strides the south, especially Charleston has made over the last 60 years. Everyone has felt the pain from this tragedy regardless or color or ethnicity

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jun 19, 2015, 8:51 PM

I live in Summerville,an being AA. I hate what has happened. However I refuse to allow the action of one to control how I feel about others. God is great and this too shall pass.

Jun 19, 2015, 8:55 PM

I live about 2 and a half hours away but go every chance I can because I have a close friend who lives there. Charleston is by far my favorite city. Everyone is so friendly and the city is a perfect blend of modern attractions and history. It's moving to see how the city has come together after this atrocity.

Jun 20, 2015, 12:54 AM

Has it been said why this kid came from Columbia to charleston to go to this church. Was a targeting one person? If why then did he make the two hour drive down to Charleston and pick that church. He is familiar enough with faithe to know they would be in the church doing many things. Why that church

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Re: I live in Charleston- yep I am glad

Jun 19, 2015, 8:55 PM

people of the state and city refuse to let that evil little weasel define them. The people and the city are far bigger and better than that. This event like the elementary school in Conn have been two of the most troubling events ever and given what happens in the world that is saying something

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2015, 9:01 PM

The reaction of the city has been admirable. Too often, tragedies are overshadowed by the horrible reactions of people just looking for a chance to create anarchy. I'm glad to see that despite such a horrible, horrible thing happening here, the reaction has been appropriate.

Thank you for the well stated and heart felt thoughts

Jun 19, 2015, 9:14 PM

I was in tears throughout my flight yesterday from LAX to ATL watching live feeds from Charleston - tears of grief for the victims - tears of pride at the eloquence of each Charlestonian speaker - tears of hope that Charleston leads the nation into a previously inconceivable level of unity for the nation.

Re: Thank you for the well stated and heart felt thoughts

Jun 19, 2015, 9:27 PM

The grief is unbelievably difficult but Charleston has shown the world how to handle adversity and racism. CNN and MSNBC will unfortunately focus on Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Todd Rutherford or whatever his name is. He is trying to be a racial activist but cannot hold a light to how to be an
upstanding citizen like the late Senator from Charleston. Rutherford truly is a toad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rutherrford is a racebaiter like Sharpton...a real SOB.

Jun 20, 2015, 10:52 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2015, 9:31 PM

we have spent a goodly number of winter vacations in Charleston and have developed a lot of affection for the city and surrounding area.unfortunately distance is too great to visit as often as we would like to.however,that doesn't diminish the revulsion for the senseless killings and heartache for the victims and their families that I feel right now.having studied the Bible for many years on my own I feel a closeness to anyone who does as well and from now on will remember these people in my reading and in my prayers.maybe the good that can come out of this tragedy is that people will finally put aside their differences and learn to get along.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

wait til Sharpton shows up...***

Jun 19, 2015, 10:34 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Crash is a good name for you. Really something negative? Wow***

Jun 19, 2015, 2:18 PM

I am from Charleston.

Jun 19, 2015, 11:48 PM

Hopefully, this person can look inside and know this kind talk isn't what's needed right now.

I am very proud of my city.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As am I - the grace, dignity, compassion and ability

Jun 20, 2015, 9:03 AM

to forgive of the community are remarkable.

Charlestonians are always eager to brag about their city.

Jun 20, 2015, 12:11 AM

And this time, it's justified. The city and its residents have handles this horrific situation with class, love, and a togetherness we wouldn't see from too many other cities. Well done, Charleston.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jun 20, 2015, 9:10 AM

My mom is from charleston and my grand parents live there. The people of Charleston have always been kind loving people.

Great post..

Jun 20, 2015, 10:34 AM

I no longer live in Charleston and moved 2 years ago. That said, I lived there for 20 year after finishing college. I have friends where I live now in Florida who were claiming that there would be riots. I told them they didn't know Charleston. If any city was capable of coming together with unity and peace after a tragedy like the one you guys had, it would be Charleston. I still hold a big piece of Charleston my heart. I lived downtown for 20 years. I am still in shock this happened. Glad to hear that people are acting the way I thought you all would. Thanks for the great post.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic