Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I listend to Brad Brownell's radio show last night...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

I listend to Brad Brownell's radio show last night...

Dec 24, 2014, 8:48 AM

He was a little discouraged that a lot of the Clemson fanbase were so discouraged and felt so doom and gloom of the program after the SCU loss. He knows they have had a few early bad losses that they should have no business losing, but besides the loss to a much improved SC team they have been playing a lot better 3 of the last 4 games and beaten some good teams. He said Auburn was going to surprise a lot people since they have all their pieces in place. They have won three straight after the Clemson loss. He said sometimes bad play can snowball to a beat down on the road in a hostile enviornment at high major school's home court. He also said he would think a lot fans would know by now that his teams get a lot better throughout the season.

I sence a lot of the same burden from OP when fans took for granted his success and batched about not winning a first round NCAA game. I still say this team is going to be good by the end of the season. If he turns it around and makes some noise don't be surprised if a decent high major might come calling like Purdue if they can Painter. Remember DRad's track record for hiring coaches is not steller and he had the improved GT rebuilt arena to sell just he will at Clemson. Is Clemson a better basketball job than Ga Tech? Think about it...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every year he opens the season losing

Dec 24, 2014, 9:15 AM

To teams we shouldnt....

Re: Every year he opens the season losing

Dec 24, 2014, 9:39 AM

Gettin a little old...worry more about the team less about the fans. Seems like every time I hear him now something is mentioned about the fans. You're at a football school playin boring basketball..don't know what else to tell you

Dec 24, 2014, 3:45 PM

Doesn't he think we as fans have a right to be discouraged about his teams play? He should be worrying about how he's going to scrape a few more wins out of this sad team.

Dec 24, 2014, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Every year he opens the season losing ]

> To teams we shouldnt....

Every year? Like last year? Right.

Dec 24, 2014, 3:08 PM

We lose to instate teams every year. This isn't a good program in this state, especially at the mid major level, who we should lose to. Purnell lost once in 6 years to instate teams and that was to USC which is acceptable compared to Coastal, CofC, and Winthrop.

We simply don't have the talent...

Dec 24, 2014, 9:26 AM

Blossomgame and Grantham potential are not enough

Yes they are...***

Dec 24, 2014, 11:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We simply don't have the talent...

Dec 24, 2014, 11:33 AM [ in reply to We simply don't have the talent... ]

Today's game is all about guard play and we have none at this time. Would love to see coach take his offensive tempo up a notch or two. He needs a big time recruiter and new facilities.

Re: We simply don't have the talent...

Dec 24, 2014, 11:39 AM

We have a staff full of recruiters and the facilities are otw.

Re: I listend to Brad Brownell's radio show last night...

Dec 24, 2014, 9:34 AM

You are right. We will get hot in the 2nd half of the ACC schedule and beat Wake, BC, VT and a couple other scrubs and make the NIT again. Just enough to keep his job. Brownell has no business calling out the fans. This is year 5 and the program is stuck in neutral and he needs to show improvement starting this year. There is no way an ACC team with a 5th-year coach with a roster full of experienced players should be losing to Garner-Webb and Winthrop, I don't care what his excuse is.

Dec 24, 2014, 10:43 AM

KJ was a 2 star afterthought when he got here. People need to acknowledge the development of this staff. Nnoko will be all ACC as will JB and DG before they leave. I know people would rather have style over substance, but BB is simply doing his job and has put in place a foundation for tthis program. We have an identity. We may have beaten Winthrop if some of these "fans" had actually shown up for the game!

He has every right to call out the fans

Dec 24, 2014, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: I listend to Brad Brownell's radio show last night... ]

Because most of the fans are negative and pathetic. The support for Clemson basketball is awful. Get on board or go back to monitoring football recruiting.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2014, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: I listend to Brad Brownell's radio show last night... ]

Gardner-Webb.....first school of Artis Gilmore and the 3rd Perry Brother....Google it!

Hopefully, Coach Brownell is more understanding of the fan

Dec 24, 2014, 9:37 AM

reaction than your characterization implies and is more appreciative of the opportunity he was given.

I like Coach Brownell and think he is a pretty good coach, but the fans need to see some success before they can take it for granted. Last year was a decent year, but we didn't make the NCAA tournament and, when you see how well KJ is playing in the pros, you wonder why we didn't.

It's a long drive to the Northwest corner of this state to watch a 2 hour basketball game. Build it and they will come. It has been proven.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, you're the person listiening to his show. Keep up the

Dec 24, 2014, 10:26 AM

good work, the rest of us could use the reports. If I made over #2 million a year, I could sit there a reel of a lot of reasons my employers shouldn't be discouraged too. At the end of the day, however, it is not even Christmas and we are not relevant at all for this season. Out of the NCAA playoffs, blowout loss to our rival, losses to teams in the Big South again, can't score and nobody going to games, which by the way, hurts football recruiting on those big visit weekends in January.

Tell 'em coot

Dec 24, 2014, 10:56 AM

#9 to steveport 35-17 66-42-4

If you are going to play a really slow and boring style of

Dec 24, 2014, 10:46 AM

basketball you better be able to get quality players and win games or people aren't gonna watch. I hate to be so blunt, but it's true. Talent and winning can cure anything though - just look at Tony Bennett at UVA who runs a similar style, but at an extremely high level.

Re: If you are going to play a really slow and boring style of

Dec 24, 2014, 1:19 PM

UVA recruiting is LIGHT YEARS AHEAD of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!until RECRUITING improves we are what we will be!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, the last sentence. We should just kep a suck basketball

Dec 24, 2014, 10:50 AM

coach because our suck athletic director hasn't shown, in his history, the ability to hire good coaches. Sounds like a good reason to fire both of them. That would be a great way to start the new year.

Concede basketball. It is a bottomless pit and we will

Dec 24, 2014, 11:11 AM

never be a great basketball school. Focus the limited resources on our money maker, football.

Let UNCheat and Puke fight over basketball

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

see what I mean ^^^^^^****

Dec 24, 2014, 11:36 AM

I still think this is his most talented team overall...

Dec 24, 2014, 11:41 AM

I think we'll get to 10-8 in ACC, with a chance to play our way in during the ACCT

just my opinion though

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

what if we don't***

Dec 24, 2014, 3:30 PM

Dec 24, 2014, 12:35 PM

First, let me say this post is not directed at the person who posted the radio show message, but mainly at the people who responded with such negative posts about the program.

I'm starting to get tired of seeing posts by fake Clemson basketball fans about the lack of success in the basketball program. It is easy to see the main reason for the lack of recruiting success. Normally, teams must have certain factors in place to recruit at a high level, and fake Clemson basketball fans like to talk like we have it, but I only see one component in place. Here are some of the factors:
1. A strong basketball tradition - Nope, we have almost none
2. Near a major city or from a state with lots of basketball talent - Nope, the state of SC produces 2 division-I players a year.
3. Wonderful facilities - Nope, our practice facility is not wide enough to even run full court drills
4. A coach who commits to the players and their development - Yes, clearly we have seen players get better. In my opinion even more than with OP and I think we had this factor with OP too.
5. A large and supportive fan base - No way just a lot of hot air internet fans. Last year, we got drilled by FSU in our first big home ACC game. I saw maybe 3000 fans in Littlejohn and many of them were 10 minutes late after the game started. We went from having a team excited and ready to play to a team that had no home court advantage. I know the players who had worked so hard could not believe that the fans did not show up to this important game. Then, in the ACC tournament we got ripped off by the officials against Duke which is nothing new, but our team played their hearts out. The next day, the team returned to Littlejohn which was announced by TigerNet, and it was great to see all 50 or 60 fans show up to thank them. I think that was the day KJ decided to go to the NBA. I have been to open football practices where I have see 500 to 1000 people in the middle of the day on a week day. We have had a few times the football team returned from an away game and 3000 to 5000 fans are up at 2 AM to meet them at the stadium. So where is this great basketball fan base? A couple of weeks ago, we played the #12 RPI team in the country (Arkansas) after coming off a big win over the #19 RPI team (LSU). It was a Sunday night at 5 PM game, my guess is we had maybe 3,500 fans. The problem beside an empty arena was that Arkansas had more fans at the game than we did students. If you had been at the game, you would have seen a team come back from a late 5 point deficit to tie the game and win it in overtime. Personally, I hope no recruit was at the Arkansas game. I think Brad needs to have recruits only come to away games so they will not see the lack of home support by the fake Clemson basketball fans.
Honestly, when I look at the problem with basketball the only bright spot is the coaching. Until we can get better players, we have to be so perfect in our execution that we do not cost ourselves games. This year, we have played no real home games with the type of fan support that gives us an advantage... it is like playing neutral site games with no atmosphere. However, the only real road game was the USC game, and it looked like a real home game for them. They had a very nice crowd and it clearly made some of our players nervous. Go back and watch the game, you will see most of our missed outside shots were open and not contested. So the coach can only put players in position to succeed, but sometimes second level talent will fail with a little fan pressure. I do want to give some credit to the fans for the 3 NIT games last year because those were real home games. We played 3 solid teams in the NIT, and we got behind in most of those games. However, the fans really became a factor late in all 3 games which helped our players play harder and the other team got nervous. If we could have just a few ACC games like that this year, I wonder if we could get a few upsets. Here are things I think would help... Sell all upper level tickets for $5... and at the 16:00 minute timeout, all fans can move down to open seats in the lower bowl. Parking is only reserved until the game starts... as soon as tip-off begins the reserve parking is turned to open parking areas. Keep one parking areas open for student parking, don't make them move their cars to the other side of campus and then walk all the way back for the game. If a season ticket holder cannot make a game, they should be able to call or email the Clemson Ticket office and those tickets should be sold $5 to $10 on stub hub. Then, the athletic office could get some extra money on the tickets and some fans who never get good seats would come to the games. The NIT games showed me that we have some fans who want to come to games, but may not be able to buy season tickets so lets find some way to get rid of the empty lower bowl issue. Either that or some of you who keep defaulting to the coach is the problem, buy those tickets and lets at least give our coaches and players some fan support during the ACC games. During OP's time, we did not have a full lower bowl either, but thank goodness the ACC teams were down during that era so at least we could win some games. Also, when we have basketball recruits in town stay 10 minutes after the game, sing the Alma Mater, yell for autographs before the players leave the court... you know like you do when you rush the field after beating SC State in football. If you want a winning basketball team, you need to act like it. Right now, I only see maybe 3,000 fans who really want to win. Lets be really honest, we did not recruit well for Rick Barnes, we did not recruit well for OP, and now we are not recruiting well for Brad. Where are we going to find a coach that will come to Clemson and get recruits (without cheating) with this lack of fan support? you know the answer, show up to the games. We only need 8,000 to 10,000 fans to make the game atmosphere exciting. We should at least have that for Saturday and Sunday games especially when recruits are in town.
Honestly, I hope real Clemson basketball fans will prove me wrong. Saturday Jan 3rd, we play UNC, but we all know they will have 3,500 fans in our arena. So lets see the turn out for Syracuse game who is a big name team... or the one that will really tell us how much support Clemson fans have for the program is the Wake Forest game which is a Saturday noon game. Just so you know in 2014 USC had a bad basketball year, but guess what they beat us in attendance by 2,500 fans and they also increased attendance last year too by almost 1,500... maybe fan support would help us recruit too. Please tell me no Clemson fan thinks they play pretty basketbrawl at USC. All I'm saying is we need fans to support the team not like football, but at least to some reasonable level. There is no real excuse for having such a bad basketball fan base. If it really is this bad, lets fire Brad and hire some successful high school coach for $200,000 a year and not waste time and money on basketball.. and let just admit we are football fans only.

let me disagree with one item from this post

Dec 24, 2014, 1:53 PM

We did recruit well under OP
1) Stitt was the Player of the Year in NC his senior season
2) Oglesby was POY in TN
3) Big Booker is an NBA player
4) We plucked KC Rivers from Oak Hill, the premier basketball school in the country, something I never thought we would do in my lifetime.

If the new LJ is going to have around 8k seats, we have GOT to find a way to keep those seats filled when it is not Puke or UNC coming to visit. If we play a home game against Winthrop, there better be 7k there

GO TIGERS

Dec 24, 2014, 1:17 PM

I have always been a BB supporter and still am.. BUT, these games that should not even be close that we get beat is about to make me think he will not get it done..we have had 3 simply HORRIBLE GAMES so far this year and I have searched for some reason but IMHO there is just not one!!Our recruiting is just not good.All these excuses about how hard it is to recruit @ Clemson just do not "compute".. we have way to much to offer for recruiting to be a problem!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While none of us like losing to Winthrop and GW

Dec 24, 2014, 7:06 PM

3/4 of the ACC has similar losses. Heck, top 20 Miami just was blown out by Northern Kentucky and lost earlier to UWGB. It's happening all the time. That's not an excuse, just a fact

Re: While none of us like losing to Winthrop and GW

Dec 25, 2014, 10:16 AM

UNC most always loses stupid early season games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Getting better during the season

Dec 24, 2014, 3:09 PM

doesn't matter when you are out of the tournament by mid December.

Dec 24, 2014, 6:46 PM

He's another one who is more worried about fan comments, attendance and fan attitude than he is about doing a better job of coaching which includes instilling a sense of urgency when it comes to a matter that is VERY important: WINNING. I'm really not interested in his BS- what I AM interested in is seeing a team that WANTS to compete, handles the ball and try to execute better plays(less 3 attempts). If Brownell is not happy at Clemson then we need to go another direction and get on with it. It's time to lose the nonchalant attitude and find a coach with an immediate sense of the present. Losing to schools with 1/4th our budget(if that much) and not being competitive with your rival is not OK even if it is early season.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If losing to schools with à 1/4 your budget is reason to

Dec 24, 2014, 7:01 PM

move on, 3/4 of the ACC will have a new coach next year. As for the loss to USuC,it was a horrid second half

Dec 24, 2014, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: I listend to Brad Brownell's radio show last night... ]

Stop assuming that you know anything about what he does on a daily basis. He specifically said the day after the Oakland game that he was going to try to make himself not watch any film just to take a day. He said he couldn't help himself, and ended up watching 2 hours of the team's film. Stop complaining. Stop whining. Stop acting like you go to games and "support" the team. Stop talking about what you "want to see" when you're not even willing to take the time to actually go see the team play.

But scar is not a high major***

Dec 24, 2014, 10:03 PM

they will be..frank martin is a very good coach.***

Dec 25, 2014, 12:16 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic